Had a fantastic day hunting with Isla yesterday.... Photos

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Ripsnorterthe2nd, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma

Had a fantastic day hunting with Isla yesterday....

Decided to take her out for a couple of hours hunting (not shooting sadly as I've no gun!) just to see where we're at before our next gundog training session.

And what a day we had!!!! You ever get those days where after months (nearly years) of training everything suddenly comes together? She was perfectly behaved, stopping and turning on every single whistle, recall was 99% and walking to heel off lead past several quail at one point. In total she flushed 4 pheasants, 5 quail, a rabbit and a Heron! :shock:

That last one took us by surprise and she thought about chasing after it, but she recalled straight back without a second thought. :grin:

She did half take off after the rabbit, however, definitely her weak point and something to continue working on.....

Anyway just had to share, I'm so, so proud of my girl. :mrgreen:
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    Thats great mate and she looks pleased with herself
  4. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Yeah, but she always looks like that! :lol:

And I forgot to mention the best bit, she scented out a dead bird, fetched it back on command and plopped it straight into my hand! :mrgreen:

Not great for most people, I admit, but I was ecstatic! :lol::lol::lol:
  5. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    Would be great for me as the dead things Star finds end up as one of his stinky poos. :(
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    SHe's a star!! Well done!
  7. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Thanks Dawn! :grin:

I just really, really hope I can get her up on the Grouse Moors next season, my ultimate goal.....
  8. Luke

Luke New Member

But don't you know girly, unless its mainly white..looks like some funny collie/whippet/spaniel cross, and is more manic that a psyciatric ward's christmas party..it ain't a working springer and you can't hunt with it?:wink:
    Well done to you both, she's grown up so well..you should be so proud!
  9. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    Well done, love that pic of her :)
  10. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Not only beauty, but brains too! :049:
    [​IMG]
  11. red collar

red collar New Member

Name:
    red collar
    It's a great feeling isn't it when you are both working together and the dog is doing what it is bred for :)

Well done!
  12. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Brilliant - well done Isla. Are you training her for beating, picking up or both?
  13. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Well that made me laugh out loud! :043:

Know what you mean though, I went to a different Gundog trainer before Marc and he was crap with a capital C! He just didn't understand the differences between the working type and show type. They are totally different in their style of hunting, but that certainly doesn't mean you have to write them off altogether. He gave me the worst piece of advice anyone in dogs has ever given me and I'm still paying the price for taking it!:evil:

Thank you hun. :D

A Spaniel with brains? Who'd have thought it! :lol:
    It so is! And the best bit is you can clearly see she's loving every minute of it. All those people that say making a dog take part in hunting os cruel have obviously never hunted with one.

Thank you. :D

She's in training for both beating and retrieving. She retrieves brilliantly with dummies after a lot of back chaining training. The trouble is my family didn't understand how to treat a gundogs mouth and as a result it has been ruined. That said, as she's matured she's got better so I hope to enter her into a working test at some point in the next few years and I might try her picking up once or twice. The main goal is to use her as a beating dog though.
  14. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Awwwww that's fantastic Rips. Well done Isla and very very well done to you xxx
  15. dori-katie

dori-katie New Member

Name:
    Sarah-Jane Ruthwell
    What a great day. :grin: and a lovely pic she is beautiful.
  16. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Thanks both, I'm soooo chuffed with her. :D

There have been many days where I thought we'd never get there, but it's definitely been worth all the blood, sweat and tears! :lol:
  17. cambkite

cambkite New Member

Name:
    Eddie
    It must be almost exhilarating for things to come together like that. I'd love to get either of my two to the equivalent state for HPR's. I know I've been floating on air after a lot less, so well done :grin:

Sorry I forgot. Could I ask how old Isla is
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2009
  18. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    It is fantastic. It's been hardwork with her being my first gundog I'm training fully, I've made a lot of mistakes, but that's how you learn I suppose. I've got a fantastic gundog trainer now so things can only go from strength to strength. :D

Isla will be 3 in May, how time flies! :shock:
  19. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Just caught up with this one.

It's very rewarding isn't it (for you and the dog) !

Good for you.
  20. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Thanks mate. :D

It's bl**dy wonderful! :mrgreen:

Like you say, I love to see her doing what she's meant to do and she equally enjoys doing it! :D :lol:
  21. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Make the most of it as you can never tell what the future will bring regarding your own circumstances.

I'd love to get back into it again but Fingal is a bit long in the tooth now and over the last few months we've noticed that his hearing is going.

I've fond memories of spaniels past and Fingal when he was younger.

He will still strut his stuff at the game fair though :lol: