Is there a place for cheaper Husky look a likes? Controversial

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by inkliveeva, Dec 18, 2008.

1. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Yip was Mandy, she is very nice, a good friend of ours :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Ah well it's great that he's settling in. :grin:
  4. Fluffypawz

Fluffypawz New Member

Name:
    Alex
    Why do people go for "Husky type" dogs when there are enough of the real things out there ie sibes, mals, greenlands, canadian esquimaux???

There are that many dogs in welfare at the minute with all breeds I'm sure, and SWAUK have rehome a heck of a lot! but it is interesting that someone would ask a breed welfare organiser if they breed themselves????

I think Dreamcatcher has only registered only 2 or 3 litters in 2008 but have been used at stud considerably more.
  5. skilaki

skilaki

Name:
    -
  6. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Looks like someone has alrady decided there is a place for them.. on Edinburgh Gumtree this morning there is an ad for Norsky pups..NORthern Inuit x Alaskan HuSKY pups..

Price depends on eye colour
  7. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Price depends on eye colour? Seems discriminatory? I know blue eyed and bi-eyed dogs are desirable, but surely you wouldn't deliberately hinder your own puppies by making the beautiful brown eyed dogs worth less?

Oh wait, now I see the ad.. Yup that's exactly what they do... Shocking really. Be like saying, plus £50 for pretty black mask, -£50 for a splotchy coat or non symmetrical markings. Oh and this little ugly puppy we'll just give away!
  8. Woodstock

Woodstock New Member

Name:
    Vicky
    LOL Magpye - i think the people who bred these pups probably doesn't care too much what they do to these pups, after all they created an unnecesary cross without homes for them so if they can make a quick buck by reducing their prices for "undesirable" traits just like a shop on the high street i suspect they will.
    Once again, i just feel sorry for the dogs.
  9. Fluffypawz

Fluffypawz New Member

Name:
    Alex
    Been away for a bit and just tracked back on old posts.

You can not determine a dogs trainability by outcrossing with another breed. If you want a dog that is reliable off lead than get one that is known to be so, don't just get a crossbreed because it's "Pretty" and looks like a husky. This is not aimed at anyone, just my opinion. We wonder why there is such a problem with rescues now and all we have to do is look around. We are crossing everything with everything and then wondering why we have such an explosion of dogs needing homes. Could it be that these cross breeds aren't meeting the expectations of those buying them??????
  10. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head there :)
  11. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    Why is that interesting?
    Plenty of people who breed are involved in rescue for their breed.
  12. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    I hadn't noticed this post until this morning, but I would just like to point out that we had ONE litter in 2008, not 2 or 3 (from which we kept Basil), and that one of our dogs was used at stud 3 times (not that considerable really in comparison with some other popular stud dogs in the breed) and we had a puppy back from two of those matings (Trader and Diva).

Mick
  13. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    We feel strongly that any ethical breeders should also be involved in rescue, and as GSDMad says, many breeders are already heavily involved in breed rescues.

We don't believe that there is any contradiction whatever between ethical breeding and rescue. Apart from the extremely rare occurrence, dogs from ethical breeders do not end up in rescue. It is those poor dogs which are the product of commercial breeding - whether by puppy farmers, backyard breeders or naive/greedy "pet" breeders - which end up in welfare.

Mick
  14. matsi

matsi New Member

Name:
    Denise
    I have two Sarloos x from Charlie and I could ask him anything about my dogs I also talk to him reg. how my news one is getting on ( Coya). I dont think I would any other dog after getting a Sarloos they are hard work but they are the most loving sweetest dog I have had, and change our lives.(for the better.) MUST said when they are pups not when they get older. But needs a lot of attenson.
  15. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Cry wolf seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth so its good to hear that the puppy owners still get regular contact and advice.
  16. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    i bet they are gorgeous :)

... arnt yours crosses?....i think you may find pure saarloos very different ;-)

... they are not husky look a likes or cheaper than huskys :? :?
  17. matsi

matsi New Member

Name:
    Denise
    One Saarloos 3/4 Saarloos and 1/4 check wolf, one 1/2 Saarloos 1/2 inut. Spoke to Charlie last week and Cry Wolf is having tec problems hope to be back running very soon(may be this week) also pure Saarloos are more shy and mine are nothing like Huskys or cheaper
  18. baranduin

baranduin New Member

Name:
    Louise
    This is the sort of area that BYB's thrive in. On epupz right now are samoyed X Husky and are being sold as having the looks of the Husky and the nature of a Samoyed. And they are£200 cheaper. What a Bargain!
    Louise
  19. vulcho

vulcho New Member

Name:
    sarah
    Here huskys are cheaper breeds its the toy breeds & pitbulls that are expensive,