Do greyhounds have pedigrees? Questions

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by Jem, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma

Do greyhounds have pedigrees?

Do greyhounds have pedigree's?
    I dont know much about greyhounds apart from that they race and there are a lot in rescues but thats it.
    I know lurchers can be a mix but im not sure about greyhounds x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice
    Show type Greyhounds have pedigrees.
  4. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    Are show types different from racing greyhounds?
    Please excuse my ignorance :blush:
  5. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    They are different in that they have been bred for one thing only with racing greyhounds, to be fast and race ALOT! I think they will still have pedigrees as well though.
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
  7. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    I thought both show and racing had pedigrees, because if you were interested in buying a pup to race i pressume you would want to know what winners it had in it's ancestry.
  8. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    Dawn - that is a cracking looking dog nothing at all like my mum's o/h's ex racer he's a big chunky scary looking thing.
    I understand that racing ones have a purpose just didn't know if they had pedigree's really.
    So if racing ones have pedigree's and breeders who breed to type etc ( i presume anyway) do greyhound breeders take there dogs back when no longer needed?

Sorry about all the questions but i was having a good ole chat with my friend about them last night and i realised i actually no nothing about greyhounds but now im curious :lol:
  9. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin

Not sure if you mean racing breeders or show. Some racing owners retire their responsibly, but some don't and there are always a hell of a lot of ex racers looking for homes. Once i have a bigger place (which will be a long time in the future) and no cat, i would like to rehome an ex racer.
  10. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Racers are bred for speed, show dogs are bred for looks. You will find that any show bred on would gladly be taken back by its breeder, but they average around 100 or so registered every year!! in comparion to 44,000 Labs!!:shock: they are in fact classed as a rare breed in the show world.

Racers are sold to race, not many into pet homes, they get there through retirement etc..
  11. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    ALL dogs have pedigrees, a pedigree is the dogs ancestry, good breeders keep a record of this no matter if the dog is bred for work, sport or show.

The show we have this weekend has classes for greyhounds and among those classes we have one for racing/coursing hounds. They used to have the same at Crufts but to be political correct I believe it is now called just racing. If you watch classes containing both show and racing/coursing hounds you will see the difference, must say I have a liking for the racing hound.
  12. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Interesting thread!

Didnt realise there were so few reg greyhounds and that they are rare in the showing world.
  13. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    Oh i didn't know the show ones were quite rare
    Thanks for all the info though atleast i can have a proper convo about them now lol
    Catrinsparkles - my mum's O/H greyhound who is a ex racer lives happily with my mum's 3 cats and he had never met a cat before my mum's so maybe its a matter of training or the dog itself i dont really know x
  14. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Our show is at Wood Green this coming Sunday where we have 19 Greyhounds entered, 9 of which are racing/coursing Greyhounds so if anyone is interested and live near they could come and take a look at how they differ.
  15. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    The class at crufts is still called racing and coursing.

I have a show bred greyhound and an ex racing greyhound. The ex racer has a pedigree which is registered with the ngrc but is also registered with the kennel club so that she can be shown. She competes against and has beaten the show greyhounds
  16. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Oh right, was told yesterday by a coursing chap that they are dropping the coursing part, I stand corrected.
  17. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    I've just checked again in the catolgue for crufts and it says special racing/lure coursing. It was changed and the lure added before the coursing when the ban on hunting was bought in as dogs could no longer course hares.

This is my son showing my ex racer at crufts this year. He came 3rd with her in the bitch class out of 14 entries at her very first show.We had only had her for 5 months and she came to us straight from the track she ran her last race the night my friend collected her for me from the track
    [​IMG]
  18. spot

spot New Member

Yep they have a purpose - to make money for their owners and the bookies. No greyhound breeders rarely if ever take their dogs back if no longer needed yet they are still considered reputable breeders by some people

Why do the owners never go back to the breeders when they find that their dogs are no longer needed? Because these 'reputable breeders' dont want to know.

Why are they considered responsible because they rehome their dogs - shouldnt they erm actually keep them?

Actually its considered responsible to rehome or dump in rescue your used up dog when it comes to greyhounds.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2008
  19. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    I understand a lot of people have bad feelings about greyhound racing and the things that happen with greyhounds, I was just asking a few questions as i was/am genuinly curious x
  20. spot

spot New Member

Its good that you are curious but its also needed that people understand where these dogs are coming from and what they have been through.

The vast majority make excellent pets they are desperate for love as most 'owners' dont even see them let alone bond with them yet they still have that basic instint to be part of a family and once they are in a home, given time, they can become the most wonderful 'pet' dogs.
  21. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    My mum's O/H's greyhound is as soft as muck even if he is rather snobby but he's a lovely dog its such a pity there are so many in rescues as they do seem really nice x