Looking to get a NI General Chat

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by monosyllabic, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Glad to hear it :023:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Oh Corrie you do disapoint LOL..
  4. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Good night me and my pair are off to bed to. Will catch up on this tomorrow.

Nite all x
  5. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Aww, that's a shame, guess I can't please everyone though ;-) :lol:
  6. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Hi Monosyllabic,

Although many of us on this thread have criticised the current problematic state of play within the world of the NI, don't go away with the idea that everything is fine and dandy amongst other breeds. Every breed has its irrresponsible breeders and buying a puppy nowadays is a real minefield - especially since the growth in the internet. This as true of Siberian Huskies and Malamutes as it is of NI's and other "wolf lookalike dogs."
    The only way to do it is carefully. Do your research, talk to as many different people as possible, ask about health checks, visit several breeders and only make your mind up if/when you are really sure. Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Mick
  7. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Great , honest and informative post xxxxx
  8. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Hi Werewolf - sorry been away & had a bit of catching up to do.
    You will note that I don't say all NIs are unhealthy & that I praise them as a breed when they are "in good nick".

I don't see the crossing as controversial but as a personal choice to obtain a dog of a particular nature, look, traits etc. I like the Sarloos & Czech Wolf dogs but their character (as I understand it typically to be) may not suit our family/lifestyle & as a responsible dog owner we made the choice to get a dog of a type we had met with which we were happy.

& to answer Louises (I think) point we were satisfied that the breeder had selected from relatively good bloodlines from the NI stock although with the emerging "evidence" I am still a little nervous & it's a matter of "wait & see". Whatever happens we will continue to be good & responsible owners giving an excellent dog a happy home & life.
  9. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    There has been a lot of talk recently about the ridge, but it is not a form of spina bifida. RR are predisposed to a condition called dermoid sinus which can be classed as SB. Ridgeless Ridgebacks and some other breeds also suffer from this condition. There has been some research carried out which points to the ridge being a factor in DS but how valid this is, is being debated at present. Any good breeder should be willing to talk openly about this and be able to tell you if DS is in their lines. As it has been said, whatever breed you choose, there will always be bad breeders and health problems. A good breeder will be honest with you and tell you all the negatives as well as the positives within their dogs.
    Good luck with whatever breed you choose :001:
  10. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Excellent post Mick.

I think the general consensus is that whatever breed you choose to get, make sure you do your research thoroughly and that includes looking into the breeders too. You can never ask enough questions and a good, honest breeder will be only too pleased to answer them.

Good luck with your search, whatever breed you decide to go for :grin:
  11. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Sedmoid Sinus is also apparent in the Kerry Blue, Shih-Tzu and has been seen in Boxers. Its NOT breed specific. As with all dogs, many of these problems can be tested for.
  12. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I agree with with mick on the the Sibe has been the dog of choice for money grabbers for a while in the wake of snowdogs and 8 below. With the new disney film snowbuddies out i don't see it getting any better either.

BTW i have also now PMed you! x
  13. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise

Nowt to do with me.. I never made any point about your dogs
  14. upallnight

upallnight New Member

Name:
    Valerie
    Hi Monosyllabic, we fell in love with the Ni breed when we were out walking Sam and Tegan was just a baby in the pram and we'd stopped to feed her and met a white NI and a silver grey NI. The couple's hair must have stood on end as I asked "are they a breed??" lol as I'd never seen anything qite like them. Well that was last year and Tegan is 18 months old now and have been to met a few breeders then met a whole pack of NI's at the Skipton show and Tegan ran riot with her toy push NI ;-)) They are so gentle and stunning dogs we can't wait to welcome one into our family we are so smitten!!!! We are also in Scotland in Birnam so feel free to give us a shout anytime. Good luck in finding the perfect NI for you and your family. The bred are currently being maligned but go meet a few breeders and see these amazing dogs for yourself and you'll be totally smitten!!! Good luck,
    Luv Valerie
  15. upallnight

upallnight New Member

Name:
    Valerie
    There are ethical breeders and ones that love their dogs the breeding side of things being a bonus the dogs being their lives and family members. I met a lot of NI owners and breeders at Skipton NI show and there are a few breeders in Scotland. We went to visit Thistlenook to visit their dogs and fell in love and I know the owner breder loves and adores her dogs and Tegan had a ball with Poppy ;-)) Don't believe all you read, go see them in the fur and judge for yourself ;-))
    Valerie
    (we will be getting our pup next year god willing and fingers and paws crossed)

16. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    What a breath of fresh air to see positive things being written on this forum about the wonderful NID, I totaly agree they are stunning,gentle and make excellent family dogs. There are many caring NI breeders who are doing things right and only want whats best for the dogs, its been sai d they are ALL in it for the £££ and dont take pups back but I know this is not the case with ALL. It is a shame that some genrealize and comment on bad breeding practices as if ALL breeders are the same and I can say from knowing lots of breeders that this is not the case.
  17. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    How is it that if anyone asked me about RR I would tell them the good and the bad, probably labouring on the bad but with NIDs all I read here is how wonderful and perfect they are. :?
  18. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I think its because a lot of people feel there is a lot of negative things said about the NI by others. But its a fair point so here are my thoughts;

Don't get an NI if you lead a busy life and only want one dog. NI's (And husky's for that matter) need company be it K9 or human. They are more trainable then some northern breeds but are not for the novice owner. Without training they are large dogs who think the world is there playground and everyone there playmates. They can also have a strong prey drive but if you except this channel that drive it can be controlled.

So there you go some things to consider, a lots of these points are also true for huskys as well (Not owned a mal so can'f comment on them.)
  19. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Are there no health problems Raz? Lionhound would be including this when discussing RR to any prospective owner.
  20. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    If I were looking to buy an NI (which I wouldnt) I would be VERY VERY careful about what I am really getting. Hip scores are very uneven in many, and many are high, way way too high. Some have Epilepsy, some have Addisons disease, some have blood clotting disorders, which if not detected, a small cut can kill your dog, some have undershot mouthes, one just "collapsed" for no apparent reason and appeared to stop breathing but was "bought back" by its owner, some have displayed dog aggression, some have displayed and been put to sleep because of people aggression, one dog "mauling" a child (not my description but somebody else) and subsequently seriously attacking its owners.

What you have to remember is that there are problems in all breeds, but the NI is such a numerically and time wise small breed, yet there are many health issues with them to varying degrees. I would strongly recommend you seriously consider all these things before paying a ridiculous amount of money for a dog who's breeding cant even be guaranteed, let alone its health.
  21. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz

I'm not getting at you Raz, its a fair point & any prospective owner should ask this question. What would you say in response?