Illegal dog breeds? Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by tawneywolf, Oct 9, 2008.

1. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    DEFRA's Take on the term 'Hybrid'?

Wolf-dog hybrids and the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976
    The Act regulates the keeping of certain kinds of dangerous animals as pets. Licences are required for any animal which appears on a schedule to the Act.

Wolf-dog hybrids are not a true species but rather a hybrid of the domestic dog crossed with the wolf. Such animals technically fall within the Act's catch-all listing of all species of Canidae (i.e. the dog family) with certain exceptions such as Canis familiaris, the domestic dog (but not the dingo, Canis familiaris dingo), raccoon dogs and foxes.
    Defra's advice is that such animals are included in the Act's listing and therefore require licensing.

Local authorities are responsible for licensing and enforcement under the Act. If an animal is many generations removed from the wolf ancestor and is essentially indistinguishable from a domestic dog in appearance and behaviour then a local authority might conceivably choose to exercise discretion and regard it as a domestic dog.

If owners are in doubt as to whether animals require licensing, then Defra advises them to contact their local authority for advice.

Taken from below link:
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/gwd/hybrid.htm
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    So let me get this right...now people are selling Sarloos crosses as hybrids?????????????
    Oh please.
  4. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    missed this, sorry - so what is the other half crossed with pure?

If I have a labrador x sarloos and cross it with a pure bred Sarloos I have a 3/4 hybrid??

Why is it not said what the missing % is?

A 3/4 Sarloos x 1/4 GSD, crossed with a 50% Sarloos crossed with a Doberman.

What would that be????????????

Also, I don't understand all the F1, F2 stuff unfortunately.

I think people are paying a higher price for the hybrid tag. For myself it was the hybrid tag that put me off them - regardless of price, I knew I wouldn't want to confine a wolf at 25%, 50%, 75% to my lifestyle and understood hybrid as cross between dog and wolf and not cross-breed dog to dog.
  5. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    O.k. I see your point (e.g. ) 1/4 breed No.1, 3/4 breed No.2 - hybrid (or cross - see previous dictionary definition re. "...varieties, species or races...") which word you use doesn't really matter

Perhaps the advertiser should be more clear as to the other incorporated breeds (crosses, hybrids, mongrels or parents of whatever description) & I am sure the reputable breeders will be open & honest about the parental input. I have bought a hybrid for which I have a very good pedigree showing all I wish to know. Also I am able to trace significant ancestry. This is what is important.
  6. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    7.4 Domestic Wolfdog Breeds
    Two domestic, recognised wolfdog breeds have been developed in Europe. Both contain
    relatively recent wolf genes, the motivation being the improvement of existing working dogs.
    The oldest of the wolfdog breeds is the Saarloos Wolfdog, which was developed in an attempt
    to ameliorate the German Shepherd Dog, thought to be losing some of its working qualities
    and inheriting inbred defects. The Saarloos wolfdog was developed by Lendeert Saarloos in
    1921 by crossing a European wolf with a German Shepherd Dog. The breeding was
    rigorously controlled over generations, and the resulting dog now contains around 25% wolf.
    Saarloos failed in his attempt to create a exceptional working dog, but the breed was widely
    used as guide dogs for the blind until the 1960s, when a further injection of wolf genes raised
    the content of the animals to around 33% (Hull, undated). The breed is wolf-like in
    appearance, and retains many wolf characteristics such as a narrow chest, a wolf-like gait and
    an extremely shy temperament.
    The second recognised breed is the Czechoslovakian wolfdog, developed by I.K. Hartl in the
    late 1950s. Again, the breed was founded by a mating between a wolf and a German
    Shepherd Dog; the animals are similar in appearance to the Saarloos. The breed was
    recognised by the Cynologic Organization of Czechoslovakia in 1982 (Dunn, undated).
    In the United States, two further breeds are being developed. They have been named the
    “Timber Shepherd” and the “Tundra Shepherd” and, although they seem to be gaining
    popularity in the U.S., they have not been officially recognised as domestic dog breeds. Both
    breeds are reported to contain approximately 25% wolf (Hull, undated).
    In the U.K., the “Northern Inuit” breed is being developed and, although no recent wolf
    ancestry is claimed, they have been advertised as “wolf look-alikes”(Kelham, 1999 personal
    communication).
    None of the above breeds are recognised by the British Kennel Club (Kennel Club, 1999,
    personal communication). Those breeds claiming a wolf content, however diluted, must still
    be licensed under the DWAA if imported to this country.

I think that about sums it up. Taken from...
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/science/Project_Data/DocumentLibrary/WP01013/WP01013_2189_FRP.pdf
  7. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Excepting dogs and excepting anything after and F3

How much more clear does it need to be??
  8. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Understood, but if you liked the idea of combining (say) springer & labrador characteristics (many do) you may breed a springador. If you like the result then you carry on with that cross & eventually it would become a new breed (don't know if it has yet officially or if people just like the "F1 crosses")
  9. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    Having looked at the adverts I notice two things, both breeders Shoshone and Crywolf are breeding NID with either Sarloos or CWD, so why are they slating the NI if they are breeding from them? also they seem to be breeding ALOT of puppies and as are advertising extensively, this seems to suggest they dont have the puppies reserved. Are these the same breeders who are starting up the "federation"?
  10. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    of course they are and why shouldn't they as they are hybrids (see dictionary definition) or if you wish to call them, crosses - same thing!!
  11. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    A 3/4 Sarloos x 1/4 GSD, crossed with a 50% Sarloos crossed with a Doberman.

What would that be????????????
    ==============

confusing & interesting

=================

lol
  12. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    Never knew a labradoodle would be classed as a hybrid........... and not a cheap cross-breed, lol
  13. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    I understand that both the breeders mentioned are happy to be breeding from NI as they are generally wonderful dogs. They are not slagging off the Northern Inuit Dogs as a breed but are horrified by the apparent bad breeding practices within the breed which has lead to many serious health problems of which a number are identified in another forum.
  14. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    If it is to be believed, Mahlek are a 'bad' line, since most NI come from Mahlek, being one of the founder kennels, then why use NI in their super-hybrid goals?
  15. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I quoted above from the research mentioned which clearly states they DO need a licence.
  16. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Lovely Louise
    where does it say something like "... those who have eyes to see will see..."? Bible?
  17. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Why is this becoming an NI thread????????????????
  18. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    you pays your money & takes your choice
  19. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    :grin: I didn't get a labradoodle fortunately.
  20. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    your reference document originally written & published June 2000 - Mr DEFRA letter - was it yesterday or today?
  21. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    - Careful selection/ de-selection as any good breeding practice