Illegal dog breeds? Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by tawneywolf, Oct 9, 2008.

1. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    In the case of Utonagan and NI, most insurance companies will insure them as just that, I am with Argos, but was with M&S before that and both of them have Utonagan on their breed list
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise

The people who USE the word HYBRID are using it to get more money for their pups because people beleive they are getting wolf and people are silly enough to part with their cash
  4. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    Tania, I think that they mean a hybrid between 2 different breeds of dogs, not a dog and a wolf. And that because they are a cross will have greater genetic diversity than a full NI.
  5. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    So every cross breed is actually a hybrid - I was under the impression that hybrid was across 2 species rather than 2 breeds.

Could I sell my hybrid labrador for £1000?
  6. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Thats my point..

Infamous inuits called their crosses hybrids..hence why their webpage is inuit hybrids..,.

Its just word that makes people go "Oohhh I want one"..
  7. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

Yes you could if it is a x, I would class a hybrid is a cross between 2 species or varieties IMO
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  8. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I quite like the CWD. My questions is not whether they are ilegal or a true breed, I know they are. My question was whether it is true, as we have been lead to believe in the past, that you may need a licence to house one.

To me the bit in bold is what I perceive as to why you still need a licence:

If an animal is many generations removed from the wolf ancestor
    and is essentially indistinguishable from a domestic dog in appearance and behaviour then a local authority might conceivably choose to
    exercise discretion and regard it as a domestic dog (which would not be
    licensable).

I still feel that it is not clear and yes I can read before anyone asks!!! It is about interpretation and how we each choose to interpret the info.
  9. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    I know what you mean it's the 'might' that worries me. One person may say yes you need a license and another say no. Probably worth asking the individual councils what their stand is, just in case.

Even having assurances from one department doesn't stop another department over-riding that decision.
  10. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private

Lots of people advertise there 'Wolf dogs/look alike dog' pups as hybrids:
  11. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania

Same people as the ad I saw somewhere else
  12. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I still think it is too vague....and still think that people who promote the word 'hybrid' are the less reputable breeders who are more likely to sell dogs into a country with ambiguous laws...
  13. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    OK, so I know that assume makes an ass out of u and me - however, if a dog is advertised as 3/4 anything, surely you would want to know what the other 1/4 was (if it is a cross and not a wolf hybrid of course which is what I would assume when advertised as hybrid). It may be a breed that would not go well with a Sarloos, etc, nor one you would consider for your family.

Certainly wouldn't fancy a pitbull x Sarloos for example!
  14. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
  15. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    probably a matter of semantics - or use of english or something. Dictionary definition I have found on t'internet:

hy·brid (hbrd)
    n.
    1. Genetics The offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock, especially the offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties, species, or races.

Edit: I therefore don't see any problem with Cry-Wolf or any other breeder advertising their crosses as Hybrid.
  16. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    I looked up insurance and found Sarloos and Czech wolfdogs under 'dogs' - so perhaps it is just the time to drop the 'hybrid' misnomer.

These are dogs, 3/4 or 50% are not pedigree, so why the extortionate prices? People ARE paying for the 'hybrid' tag when it appears it is not genuine.
  17. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Further - I don't think the Act is vague at all and as stated by Mr DEFRA, the licenses are only required BY LAW for F1& F2 Hybrids with (in this case) Wolves.

The issue of Local Councils being able to make up their own minds is moot as they have never been able to prove any dog taken into custody as unlicensed wolfdog, is a wolfdog!!
  18. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    So what is a 3/4 hybrid?
  19. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    These dogs are probably high prices BECAUSE they are hybrids which (in the case of reputable breeders) are specifically crossed for preferable characteristics to the original breeds. The fact that people are buying them is testament to the breeding approach which should produce dogs with better health & traits than some of the "constituent parts".
  20. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    1/2 cross with pure breed = 3/4 hybrid
  21. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    This is what has made Cockerpoos, Labradoodles and whatnot more pricey then.

All I'd like to know is if the missing x% is not hybrid wolf, what is it. It can't be hybrid dog because that would be a cross-breed not a hybrid???

Therefore, rather than 3/4 sarloos should it not be Sarloos X labrador (example), cross-breeds having more vigour.