Things you think are 'wrong' with wolfy type crosses/new 'breeds'? Discussions

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by Alphatest, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Moonstone

Moonstone New Member

Name:
    S
    This is a serious question, and one I have been puzzling over the last few days, and having no knowledge or experience of actual dog breeding I am curious.......

How many time should a stud dog be used in a breed programme in it's lifetime? What is the norm:?:

As it seems clear that the same few studs have been used and used repeatedly in lots of different matings.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Relevence?[/QUOTE]

You asked if any members of NIS were at the genetics talk & ive informed you that one was. Further to that the member in question lied stating she would not attend, relevant to me.
  4. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Sorry, who's this directed at?

I don't think there is any argument that the 'look' of the dog varies, and it's because there is no single organisation controlling the breed. But does a curly tail mean there's something wrong with the wolfy dogs?
  5. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

That's what worries me too. After such a short period of time the number of times I've heard the words epilepsy, Addison's, etc. etc. is too much for a new breed - and no I don't have numbers to hand:lol: .

With the benefits of being able to learn from breeding practices, mistakes and successes of the established breeds and the health tests that have been available to anyone wishing to breed, I don't think it should have happened.

There are problems with pedigrees, one only has to speak to members of the breed clubs to find out how often they have to correct them - and that is only after years of researching the lines themselves.
  6. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz

Allegedly..... No proof is available based on pedigree's as they dont seem to be worth the paper they are printed on. If they are in fact true then it would seem stud them till they drop.
  7. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    What are you basing these assumptions on? Of course it shouldn't have a higher percentage at the beginning! There shouldn't be a higher incidence of genetic disorders at the beginning, as the likelihood that a dog will inherit two of the same recessive genes should be less, statistically, as the COI should be less.

"I'd have thought" and "Wouldn't it be expected" - hardly the concrete facts you're so eager to be hearing.
  8. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    And yet you state there is far too much, massive quantities in fact, going on in the wolfy breeds. A bit difficult to justify, if no-one knows how much, surely?
  9. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Not really, but if there was a massive problem, I would expect a lot higher than 5%.
  10. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Its directed at anyone in the thread who cares to answer it or discuss it as i'd like to know the answer. I have nothing against curly tails (Kiesha has one) but you'll never see a wolf with one :lol:
    & they are meant to look wolfy !!!!!!!!
  11. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    The point I was trying to make is no-one seems to think there are massive problems with theKing Charles, yet 40% of puppies get pts. Yet at only 5% (admittedly only on this forum) people are screaming there's a massive problem?

Go figure, 'cause I can't
  12. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    ]

Are you condoning inbreeding then?

And did we ever establish if you are an NI owner - always good to know when we are dealing with facts:001:[/QUOTE]

No not condoning just asking if its possible to start a breed without inbreeding...

As for your interest in what dogs I have may I ask why the interest? and what facts are you reffering to?
  13. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Relevence?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely none apparently, as she still claims there is no health issues!:roll:
  14. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    Could you give a quick recap on British Inuits, where they came from and any health issues you have come across.
    NIs have been mentioned a lot but it is a thread on all wolfy looking dogs:001:
  15. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    But you're the one trying to ascertain the health of your breed aren't you?

If you want learn whether the inbreeding in your breed could have the potential to be dangerous, then you could read the articles on here or some papers on the subject:

http://www.canine-genetics.com/

I don't believe I have made any sweeping statements, but I have concern about the amount of inbreeding in this breed. As I have no statistics, and am unlikely ever to have any, I can only base my opinion on experimental evidence. I'm sorry if this isn't enough.
  16. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy

You asked if any members of NIS were at the genetics talk & ive informed you that one was. Further to that the member in question lied stating she would not attend, relevant to me.[/QUOTE]

At that point in time SC had left TIDA and the talk was organised by them, I cant see JK buying a ticket from SC
  17. Moonstone

Moonstone New Member

Name:
    S
    Thanks I should of put allegedly, but I am still curious of how many times a good breeder would use the same stud dog, also what age that stud dog would normally be. Sorry this is off topic:002:
  18. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Hi Moonstone, that a damn good question. I'd be very curious to the experts answers. I seem to recall it not too much of a problem, it's the bitch that shouldn't be over-bred. That figure seems to range from 4 times to 12 times, this is across lots of breeds, they all seem to have different standards.

I'm afraid I must pull you on the "it seems clear" statement. How does seem so clear? Surely not based on the doubious pedigrees?
  19. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz

You will never have an acurate figure going on dogsey forum members dogs. Where are you getting the word massive from?
    You will have to prove people are saying the word massive & produce the posts Efes :roll:
  20. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    At that point in time SC had left TIDA and the talk was organised by them, I cant see JK buying a ticket from SC[/QUOTE]

Go to the NIS forum & you will see JK was there in black & white.
  21. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    Absolutely none apparently, as she still claims there is no health issues!:roll:[/QUOTE]

Does she? I have not seen any evidence on any forums with her stating that?