Things you think are 'wrong' with wolfy type crosses/new 'breeds'? Discussions

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by Alphatest, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    ROTFLMAO

I think I seem to be the only one with physical said balls :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Yes, these are issues, but I'm not sure they're wrong. The BC for instance can come in several shapes & sizes, and colouring, there doesn't seem to be a perfect standard for them, is that a wrongness?

There's definately a problem with standardisation, but isn't that implied by number 2 - no single organsation in control of the breed? This has several knock-on effects that could be listed seperately!?!? Any thoughts?
  4. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz

Proof will be required, photographic evidence lol
  5. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Hmmm, will give that some thought but really have to work today *pfttt*
    Catch up with you all tonight :002:
  6. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    Now there's proof I'd rather NOT see thanks! :shock: :lol:
  7. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    But isn't that a problem with the owners, not the breeds? And with the BIDC introducing CWD into the breed then it might well be true.

I'd compare it to the bull terrier types, or even Rotties, I've met some very lovely ones, but in the wrong hands they can be very vicious, as can any dog. Is this a problem with the breed or the owners? Pretending your dog is a wolf is not the dog's problem.
  8. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Its only fair in light of the thread Sally.
  9. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    i dont really know what is 'wrong' with them. all i know is i was really excited when i first found out about these dogs about 3years ago as i love wolves.

but even asking inocent questions starts off big rows?

ive just been turned off of them really by it all, plus they dont look like wolves what so ever (except ....you know who!! lol ;) ) well thats my opinion maybe some could look slighty wolfy/cross but not wolves.

then you hear about them all dying no health tests it just puts you off really.

im sure they all really nice dogs though nothing against them i love seeing their pictures! :)
  10. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    As it's been refered to several times, thought I would post it on here:

51 NIS registered NI's - 1 who had an infantile heart murmur, 1 with undescended testicle, 1 high hip score and 1 uneven above average hip score (25), 1 pup waiting for testicle to drop, 1 with seasonal tummy rash

9 TIDA registered NI - 1 cryptorchid, 1 idiopathic epilepsy carrier.

2 BIDC registered BI - No health issues to date

1 TUA registered Utonagan - Idiopathic epilepsy sufferer.

3 TIDA/NIS registered NI’s – 1 with epilepsy, a blood clotting disorder, retained testicle, grass allergy and 1 with HD to right hip and retained testicle

5 Not stated or not registered (1 NI x, 2 Ute, 2 NI) - No health issues to date

1 pup PTS due to cleft palate

Total of 73 dogs.

In addition to this, I have recently asked at my Vets (I'm so neurotic about my dogs, I pop in frequently lol) about epilepsy and brain tumours.

As said earlier in the thread if a dog is aggressive due to lack of training or environmental issues, this is not genetic and therefore would not be passed on. However, according to the Vets practice I use, you would have to be extremely unlucky to have hereditary brain tumours in a dogs line.

It is NOT common ie she has never known it, so any cases of brain tumours would tend to be isolated incidences and not a problem in the dogs line.

Epilepsy (please don't shoot me I am only relaying what the Vet has told me) - A dog is more likely to develop epilepsy if it is in the parents or grandparents, the further back in a dogs lines it is, the less the likelyhood of it developing the condition.

Just thought I would share :grin:
  11. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I think you may find (although I'm sure people will correct me)....the different standards among BC's has come from them having 2 organisations...the ISDS and the KC....
    Without going into too much detail...the ISDS will register a dog as a BC if it achieves a certain level with in an open herding competition...they call this registration on merit.

If a BC is registered with the ISDS the KC will give it a pedigree and it becomes a duel registered BC.

I'm not so sure this is a good thing...but it would explain why there is the amount of variation within the breed as you see it. If we stuck to the KC version...the dogs would end up looking more similar with a differnt temperments...with the ISDS they would probably look very different but have a very similar temperement....

Personally I prefer the second option......for any breed...
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  12. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    But I would also argue that there may be variation but I would be surprised if you could not recognise it is a BC as they have such a strong look. With NI's and other wolfy types, it is harder as many rescues will admit, it is hard to say for definate whether they are pure NI to NI or whether they are crosses.
  13. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    No...I think you get that with other breeds as well.....I have a BC pup I look after at the moment....everyone seems to think she is a lurcher...maybe she will grow up more collie like but whos to say....

Lurchers have a similar problem.......I've seen some very similar...I went to see a Lurcher pup the other day....had I seen it one the street I would have sworn it was a whippet...
  14. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna

Lurchers are crosses so there is variation.
  15. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Yes.....but sometimes they look SO similar to pedigrees you cannot see there is a cross and you would mistake them for a pedigree.
  16. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    That may be so, lurchers have a type even thought they are crosses but NIs dont and I think that is down to poor breeding practices and an ill thought out beginning. In 20 years of breeding, very close line breeding at that, has been carried out and yet they are not breeding to a recognisable type and even asking for a picture showing what is being aimed for has never been produced.
  17. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Sorry....not trying to be difficult ;)....just pointing out that it is possible to make mistakes in recognising other breeds and thinking they are crosses or not....Sticking with same thread...
    Italian Greyhounds and Whippets....both pedigrees....yet some italian Greys are bigger than some whippets!
  18. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    It's important to remember how many separate 'breeds' we're talking about here. Although these breeds have common ancestory, (and that ancestory is recent), NIs, BIs, Utes, Sarloos, CWDs are all considered by their breeders and clubs to be different and separate breeds so there is BOUND to be variation amongst them. Add to that the number of crosses we see and the variation only increases. Add to THAT the fact that many of these crosses are between very similar looking breeds and the confusion escalates.

Can 'too much variation of type' be considered a 'wrong' in this context?
  19. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    Nothing wrong with being difficult:lol:

It is hard to comment on dogs I do not know but I would imagine that someone with experience of these breeds would be able to distinguise between the two.
    I have seen lots of pics of NI and less so of other wolfy dogs (this is the reason why I am mentioning NIs as much) and feel that there is a very wide range of ears, stops, muzzles, lengths of backs,coats etc. there seems to be very vague direction to where the breed is going.
  20. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    my point exactly! It is, however their sad fate, since the creatures seem to be bred for some romantic notion of `Wolfness` rather than good conformation and temperament. There we are - I knew you`d agree with me eventually. ;-)
  21. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Many many thanks Jo, I've been trying to find this one, but thought I was getting senile.

So out of 73 dogs there are 4 with definate generic disorders (I've ignored waiting for testicle to drop, rash etc. as they're not conclusive).

Mmmm, that's just over 5% it's certainly not what I'd call an indication of massive generic problems. Especially when compared to other breeds with much higher generic problems.