Things you think are 'wrong' with wolfy type crosses/new 'breeds'? Discussions

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by Alphatest, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I don't own any of these breeds and I don;t think I ever would...not because of health/temperment issues have to add........but with the work I do - I do associate with lots...again...possibly becasue of this work I see the bad examples.

All the pups I have worked with have been lovely natured....but had a lot of similar issues to those seen in Sibes etc....(very destructive, Seperation related issues etc)......

I would certainly not say they are easier...although some may be - just not the ones who have come to me ;)!

I am trying to work out why this type of dog is causing so many extreme reactions with people....maybe it is because it is the first 'new' breed for a while that has become so popular so fast.....
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    In many ways they are similar to Sibe's Tassle but i would say the recall is better.
  4. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Huge issues "very destructive, Seperation related issues etc" should be next to there name

Kato ate my new £200 made to measure wood blinds pannicking to get to me as could see me outside yesterday so sent them to be repaired and today pulled the curtain pole down, but my fault was late taking son to school and forgot to put him in kitchen.

Must say though wouldnt swap him he is an amazing friend who is by my side constantly and is very very gentle

ETA Katos recall has been amazing after 1st 48 hours of owning him but think this comes down to being so clingy though.
  5. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Ouch! That is expensive! Loki will chew things but not when we are in sight, only if we leave him with a tasty pair of slippers to keep him amused. Or boots. Or a nice comfy fleece. :roll:
  6. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Kato is still a puppy, he's just past a year old?
  7. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    It was my own fault was talking to neighbour across the road and he could see and hear me, and he wanted to get to me so obviously in Katos head best idea was eat everything in his way. Wont forgot tomorrow to put in kitchen, he wont do anything when he with us.

Eta he is 11 months and one great thing is he is pretty much walking to my heel with no lead
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  8. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Can you tell me where this info came from?
  9. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Why is this rubbish. I have yet to see any facts posted that prove there is as large an issue as some are inferring.
  10. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil

This thread is supposed to be about facts. Are there any numbers or percentages, or even educated guesses on this large number of health problems
  11. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    A few of these dogs may have genetic problems, but can you name another breed that doesn't? Does this mean that out of the thousands of NID/BIDs/Utes this measn that the whole breed is in trouble?
  12. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    I belive there are several genetic disorder where the female carries the recessive gene, but the male has the symptoms. This is one of them, the male doesn't pass this on.
  13. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Can we please get this thread back on track. Can anyone provide facts about what's supposedly wrong with wolfy dogs?

BTW 2 points: putting fact in large capitals and making a statement, doesn't make it a fact. Quoting one of the 2 main organisations seems to be pointless as they both contradict each other, and one cancels the other out.

Does anyone have any numbers, or percentages?

OK, so far the facts we've had of what's wrong with the wolfy breed are:

1. No health checks done on original mating pair
    2. No single organisation in control over the breeding/registration
    3. At least 1 Re-home centre that re-homes 'entire' dogs - is this wrong?
    4. 1 line of epilepsy

Conjecture:

1. Too much in-breeding - facts & figures please
    2. High percentage of health problems - facts & figures please
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  14. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    I thought this thread was about peoples opinions regarding what individuals think is 'wrong' with these breeds?

I have no numbers or percentages - do you, to support your theory on how healthy the breed is?

I don't really care what the percentages are anyway, what I care about is that this is a new breed, that shouldn't be seeing these diseases cropping up at all this early on. Multiple dogs affected in single litters is enough for me I'm afraid.

Yes, I believe it does, if the gene pool remains closed (as it is in NIs I believe, but not the others).

Most other breeds do have conditions they are associated with, but most of these breeds were created 100+ years ago when breeders wouldn't have been so well informed regarding genetics. Today, there is no excuse to breed like people did when establishing other breeds, yet people still go on blindly and think that 'well other breeds have problems' and 'this kind of line breeding is just the done thing'. Well, to me, that's just not good enough. Breeds created today have a lot more potential, it's a shame that people are so stuck in the past not to realise this.
  15. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    Hehehe! Are you saying not one of these dogs is worryingly inbred? Are you having a laugh?!

Where are your health figures while we're on the subject? I don't even own one of these dogs so am highly unlikely to be able to access this sort of information, providing it has been recorded reliably anywhere in the first place. Does it even exist?
  16. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    I think the biggest problem with the 'wolfy-lookng' breeds is the amount of conjecture and controversy surrounding them. People are caught up in what is essentially a personal disagreement between breeders. Whilst I can understand how emotive the subject of bad breeding practices can be, too many people allow these disagreements to spill over into discussions about the dogs and the facts and figures seem thin on the ground compared to the accusations directed at one breeder or another.

In short, what's wrong with these breeds are all the rumours that surround them. It makes researching the breed more difficult for prospective owners.
  17. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    I really do agree with this to an extent. However, people keep saying how underwhelmed they by the numbers of diseased dogs that have been put forward for scrutiny on a forum. I find it hard to believe that people are expecting to see huge quantities of diseased animals in this breed at all - it's only been going for 20 years or so!

Also, why would people put vet reports or death certificates up on a public forum? Don't you think that might seem a bit of a big ask for someone who's recently lost a beloved companion? Having to deal with people disbelieving them, people questioning how they trained the dog/managed the situation?

In short, I don't think you're going to get a nice tidy percentage of ill dogs, just as I'm not going to get my nice tidy percentage of healthy dogs - it's just not feasable. Even if one society put up the findings from their database, it's bound to be skewed one way or another due to politics, exceptions, sample size or some thing or another.

If the cases of ill NI/Utes posted on this forum aren't enough to warrant a little bit of enquiry, or even curiosity into causes of such diseases, then I guess that's all well and good, but not for me.
  18. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Please get your facts right rather than spread misinformation and please tell whomever told you incorrectly to get their facts right as well especially if whomever told you is a breeder....

Considering the rarity of Monorchidism generally, the fact that several cases among NIs have been recorded is extremely worrying.

Here`s the factual science regarding Monorchidism and Cryptochidism [ they are always discussed jointly usually in articles header`d for Cryptochidism, however the transmission / hereditary factor is the same and given the general rarity of Monorchidism I would`nt be too surprised if a fair number of Cryptorchids have been accurately diagnosed as mono`s especially if they have`nt been neutered including a search inside for a singular retained testicle ].

http://www.rievaulx.org/cryptorchidism.html

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/intro.htm

The standard veterinary advice, [ rather than from people talking out of their posteriors ], is :

"How is cryptorchidism treated?

The only treatment for this condition is removal of both testicles (neutering or castration). Dogs with cryptorchidism should be castrated for 2 reasons: if the testicles are not removed, there is an increased risk of testicular cancer, and if your dog is bred, the trait will be passed on to future generations.

Breeding advice

Affected dogs should be not be bred. It is best not to breed their parents as well, who carry the gene. "

Note, parentS, plural, not just the bitch...
  19. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Please read the op. Azz specifically asks for facts only.

You may not care about percentages, but if any of the health problems are only present in 1% of the wolfy dogs, then there isn't really anything wrong with the breed is there? If it's 20 or 30% then there is probably something to worry about.
  20. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    If you'd take the time to read the whole thread then you'd see that's not what I'm saying. I'm not the one posting stating that there's a problem, with no facts to backup my statement. There are a few people on this board stating that wolfy dogs are dangerously in-bred. Azz asked what's wrong with the breed, facts.

If you don't have access to this information, what are you basing your opinion on?

I';m not denying anything, I'm simply asking those people to prove what they are posting.
  21. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Sally, what a good post. I've never said there is nothing wrong with the wolfy dogs, but what I'd like to see is that if there is a problem is it quantifiable. There have been posts stating that the breeds are aggressive, yet only 2 pedigrees posted to prove this, then the same poster says the pedigrees can't be trusted. Both the statements can't be right, they contradict each other. Plus the government stufy on the Defra site actually concludes that therse dogs are fairly low down on the agression stakes.

All I'm asking is for people to prove what they are posting, and that it's not just opinion.