Mastiff ? in N.I Questions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by inkliveeva, Sep 18, 2008.

1. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine

Mastiff ? in N.I

When I read in another thread Razcox saying Mastiff was in N.I as I had never heard of that and couldn't imagine it I did a wee search of Mastiff crosses...
    [​IMG]

Well beggers belief, these 2 aren't that far away looks wise, what do you all think ? :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    Without trying to cause offence, it wouldn't surprise me :)
  4. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I think its this quote you mean:

If you read the thread the OP was saying his dog was a mix of Mal, GSD and mastif. I was saying this was similar to the NI except the NI doesn't have mastif . .

Just to clear things up. ;)
  5. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    I think Rachel's reference to the mastiff was about the Shepalut, which are bred from GSD, malamute and mastiff, so nearly the same as NI but with mastiff added and not stating that there is mastiff in the NI.

Hope that makes sense lol!!
  6. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Well yes it does make sense written like that but was there not reference to these types of breeds being in N.I in another thread...just interested me enough to go see what a mastiff cross could look like and if it could in fact look N.I and low and behold does x
  7. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    No offence taken LH, x
  8. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    I remember it too, someone posted about mastiffs in NI regarding the size of heads if I remember correctly:001:
  9. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Heres another
    [​IMG]
  10. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Crossed with what though? They may be some of the dogs the op of the thread in question has been using.
  11. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Hi Elaine, in the first photo, did they say what sort of mastiff was crossed with what other dog/
  12. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Doesn't matter what they are crossed with they do look N.I ish and thats the point a mastiff cross can look N.I ish, I think so anyway...as I was trying to imagine the cross, Mastiff being heavy build and structure, big floppy ears wrinkly face I just couldn't think how it could go from mastiff to the lean athletic shape an N.I is supposed to have...
  13. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Dunno what the first pic cross is, second pic timber wolf mastiff...
  14. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    they defo do look like the NI, but poss a bit more heavy in bone,
    I guess poss the first cross would be a bit more bulky than NI's we see at the moment but if were a few generations back it wouldnt poss be so obvious,,
  15. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I think if a tibetan mastiff were used it would blend in quicker with the type looked for in NI breeding,
  16. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    I have been informed in the past that a mastiff was used in the past.. along with weimaraner, for coat and eye colour. But like everything else you`re told, who knows what`s true. But i have seen some NI`s with big mastiff heads.
  17. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    I remember that where I got Tawney from there had been an 'accident' between a mastiff and one of the males. I saw the resultant puppies!!! I know at least one of them is still alive and going strong.
  18. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Oh my.. this just gets better and better...
  19. Luke

Luke New Member

Either Kelham or Harrison had mastiff x "inuit dogs" at one point. I have someone who can vouch for this. Who knows if they went into the mix but knowing the sheer money orientation that I know from someone who knew those involved first hands, the dogs woulda been seen as capable reproducing animals so...
  20. Siren

Siren New Member

Name:
    Rachelle
    (Inkliveeva)You should be working together to make the breed better... Which of course we would be! However, I cannot(unfortunately) control what other people do. In reality, I could unethically breed Quila without having her tested, and could breed her to some other breed, neither of which would be NIS approved. I will absolutely do my very best educating all prospective owners. Requiring them to sign legal contracts that all breedings must be NIS approved; the bitch, the dog, and the pairing itself. And that they must report any ill findings.
    I can't believe some of this either, either you all have bucket loads of money and are able to do this right or its pie in the sky... Are you saying that unless I import 20 or more different lines of NIDs and oversee all breedings that I am not doing it right? I would say that would be the responsibility of a committee. That's why all breeders would need to have their dogs and all matings approved!! This is not about rapidity, it would be fine with me to start a few lines here, and have other people import other lines and SLOWLY build the breed! I am not trying to wham bam thank you ma'am - in a few years have 100s of NIDs in America. I am sure the NIS will strictly oversee all NIDs coming over here.
    even if you import a pup now Quila would be 3 going on 4 before she would be mated with it, thats IF quila gets approval and passes the health tests, then the pup would need to get this done True, do you think that Quila would be too old to breed at 3-4 years old? Also, if either or both are not approved, then so be it!
    and as you must know hips are not a guarantee in Northern Inuits, some pups from litters have good hips and some have VERY high hip scores, you just wouldn't know what you would get, as you don't now with Quila, Hips are not a guarantee in any breed, especially the larger breeds. You are correct, I do not currently know with Quila, which is why this is all hypothetical and IS completely dependant on these results and more!!
    look at thistlenook 2 bitches to breed from, Poppy has a VERY high hip score so can't be bred from, its a sad situation to be in when your counting on puppies ( money )That's too bad, as Poppy is gorgeous! However, I am not counting on the puppies or money, as I am sure Thistlenook was not breeding for that reason either!
    Siren I'm sure you will, but please be very careful, the people here who are concerned for the N.I aren't trouble makers, there is evidence for worry I am concerned for my breed as well, and would be a responsible breeder! I would maintain contact with the owners of Quila's pups, documenting their well being.
    (LuckyStar)It goes without saying, and I'm sure you have already thought of this, but please can I add that that you/they should also check the lines for any health issues.Absolutely!! I continue to research and talk to many owners, I am also going to have as many health tests done as possible. I do wish however, that those owners of sick dogs that feel threatened would come forward. If they truly cared about the breed, they would . From the owners that have come forward, those lines are no longer approved to breed. As things are always evolving, I understand knowledge is essential.
  21. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    siren, can I ask why you have added the same post to multiple threads on the forum?

ETA: I think this is classed as Spamming on the forum and is not allowed,