NI/Ute Health Problems Health

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Jo_W, Aug 26, 2008.

1. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    So what is the truth of the matter? Was the NI originally bred from what look like GSD crosses which came from the US (none of which look remotely wolflike to me) or from Mal/Sibe/GSD's in the UK or a combination of the two?

From the Defra paper, it looks as if the original breeder was denying that the US dogs were used.......?????

Mick
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    There were definately GSD's and Sibes there, I have piccies of them, plus I know Mals were used as well, but have no piccies. I only go by what I actually see or am told by the people present at the time, and even then people only tell you what they want you to know.
    If you look at piccies of my Tawney you can see the GSD there, but several times I saw her with a Mal and I could see the Mal in her as well.
  4. upallnight

upallnight New Member

Name:
    Valerie
    I'm afraid fading kitten and fading puppy syndrome doesn't exist. You'll find according to the latest information that the pups or kittens will have had an underlying illness or infection that either wasn't picked up on or just the pup or kitten was simply not meant to be but there really is no such thing as Fading Puppy or Kitten syndrome. PM's aren't always conclusive (don't always have the answer)so it isn't always the way to go :-(

5. upallnight

upallnight New Member

Name:
    Valerie
    Hi Shona I have no vested interest there as I don't own a NI yet but all the things you have mentioned regarding puppy deaths are very basic things breeders look out for. I can only speak of cats and umbilical cords are swabbed with iodine as this can lead to infection so a precaution. Inhalation of fluids can lead to listlessness and a rattly chest so antibiotics and a trip to the vets to confirm or rule out. Intusessception (bowel telescopes in on itself) can happen and all sorts I could go on and on as it's sods law once you've checked pedigrees and so on then to your heart break a kitten/pup dies and like I've already said a PM doesn't always give a conclusive answer. I too would like to learn more and I know breeders do litter evaluatiuons (no in litter, size, sex, health and so on) and this is a good thing as no one wants to breed unhealthy offspring but sometimes even when you've done everything right sods law comes into play :-(
    Keep the debate going it is healthy :002: Ignorance is never bliss.

QUOTE=Shona;1472047]reasons for a pup;s death at welping or soon after

problems with birthing

broken ambilical in the birth canal / ruptured sac in the birth canal / inhalation of fluid / suffocation / under developed heart valves / cleft palate /
    retained puppy / no anus

the list is endless, lack of heat can kill pups, not worming your bitch properly when pregnant can cause problems with pups being born with worm burdens

so many things can go wrong in the first few weeks,[/QUOTE]
  6. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    [/quote]

thanks for your input into birthing problems, yes the list is never ending, I think most breeders learn so much with every litter,
    I guess im lucky, I learned sooo soo much being on the farms, {lambing and calving have given me a good insight into birthing,
  7. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Ive just had my girl speyed & had the vet run any tests he deemed necessary & she is in perfect health.
  8. batmandy

batmandy New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    Congratulations great news
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I thought you didnt know what your dog was?
  10. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    And was she tested for VWD and have her hips scored etc..or was it just a vet saying "yes she's fine"
  11. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Hi
    I have had my dog speyed, i will not be breeding from her so hip score is irrelevant to me. Sorry but i dont know what VWD is.
    Correct i dont know what my dog is, she was advertized as NI but i have since heard that her breeder uses Husky's as well so she could be either. Whatever she is matters not to me. The thread title asked about health problems in NI's & Ute's, Kiesha could be either or neither. In my vets opinion she's in perfect health, just adding to the thread. Its closer to on topic than a lot of the posts ive read on this thread.
  12. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Hi Liz and Kiesha

VWD is Von Willebrands's Disease and can be hereditory. It shows itself as abnormal bleeding.

What breed is Kiesha? There have been cases of VWD in Utonagans.

I hope she is ok. :grin:
  13. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Well if she is indeed from NI lines then VwD (von willebrands disease) is something you should know about..aswell as epilepsy, HD & HC

These are things that HAVE to be tested for (proper blood tests, eye tests and hip scoring)..you can't just have a look and a feel and say "yes its healthy"
  14. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Hi Lucky Star
    Given that Kiesha has just been spayed i would assume that if she had VWD it would have surfaced at or after her op. She has healed perfectly. Thank you so much for informing me about the condition.
    As for breed i really dont know hun, she was advertized as NI but i have since heard that the person who bred her uses Husky's as well so your guess is as good as mine.:002:
  15. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Hi Louise
    I believe my vet blood tested every possible thing he could, afterall they want the bill to be as high as possible dont they?
    Wish i'd chosen to be a vet instead of my trade :roll:
  16. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Hey well that's good news then :grin: . I've asked about her history on a different thread. She looks a real sweetie. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately Louise is correct and there are a number of diseases that are becoming apparent. My dog for instance (a Utonagan) suffers from epilepsy and VWD iand addisons are in his lines.
  17. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Oh i'm so sorry to hear that Lucky star :cry:
    I have seen your post in another thread & answered it as best i can with the information i have to hand.
    I hope to find her sister one day.
  18. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Liz - your PM is switched off but I have details of someone who might be able to help you. Can you switch on your PM? :grin:
  19. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Oh sorry i did not realise that, will go check my settings, thanks
  20. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Yep vets do that! :grin:

With vWD, many wll heal ok at times, but other times they wont. They can form heamatomas for no reason etc... Its worth getting her tested because if she should be affected there are specific synthetic bloods that can be used that help deal with the condition under aneasthetic and for transfusions etc..
  21. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Hi Dawn
    I see no reason to be paranoid at this time or have her tested. Had she had any complications with the recent spey then yes i see your point completely. Thank you for your concern.