NI/Ute Health Problems Health

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Jo_W, Aug 26, 2008.

1. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Thanks for the idea, think I'll print some health surveys for my puppy packs!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Your very welcome ;-)
  4. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    What am I going to say

"Did you have an autopsy on your pup"
  5. S23Doe

S23Doe New Member

Name:
    Doe
    Off topic again
  6. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    No its a NI health problem isnt it pups dying
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Its relevant to health issues in the NI surely?
  8. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Just looked on pets4homes and NIS breeder is selling pups on there and added selling point "brought up in non-smoking house" sounds bit desperate does it make that much difference to health?
  9. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    If the vet gives an opinion on cause of death and it was reasonable to believe the vets conclusion, would anyone pup a 6 week pup through an autopsy too ? x
  10. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I take it you ment would enyone put a 6 week pup though an autopsy,,,
    You been drinking hun?

if that is what you ment,,,,

then if my vet said,,, these things happen! I wouldnt say it is an opinion of death,,, but if he was in NO doubt what happend,,and could tell me exactly what the pup had died of then poss I wouldnt but It would need to be something he could be in NO doubt of,

that said my vet would always do an autopsy if there was doubt,

not trying to sound mean, but its not putting the pup through anything as its already dead,, sorry dont want that to sound horrid,
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  11. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    Some people dont like to walk into a house filled with smoke never mind buy a pup off someone who smokes so yes i think it does make a difference to pups health, if it knackers our bodies up of course its going to have some bad effects on puppies
  12. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Yes wouldnt wanna get a pup with a nasty habit
  13. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    oh yeah i'm an n.i owner always pi$$ed that goes without saying lol...i wouldn't put a pup through an unessisary autopsy , how many puppies die during or just after the birthing process, these pups are put down as being unfortunate, runts, no one really knows the reason for that but its accepted as being normal x
  14. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Sorry, that made me smile.:mrgreen:

How can you put a dead animal "through" anything? Im sorry to be blunt, but the animal is dead, when my Cat died unexplained, I immediately had a pm to discover what had killed him. I was certain he had been poisoned, no marks on him at all, looked untouched, however the pm confirmed without doubt he has been hit by a car (vehicle) he had a diaphramatic hernia, and massive internal injuries. This was the difference between speculation and certainty.

If you are talking of fading puppy syndrome, yes it IS explained and much research has gone into it, in fact a friend of mine lost 2 puppies to it in one litter at 12 and 14 days, both had a pm and nothing at all was found to be abnormal in either which is consistent with FPS. You cannot say a 10/11wk old puppy wa the same though, especially as it showed symptoms and developed other issues, FPD produces no symptoms, just that the puppy fades and not at 10 weeks old.
  15. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    If we are talking about a puppy of over 6 weeks, then it's not normal for them to die, yes pups are born dead, some die shortly after birth, or even up to three week due to FPS, but to get to six weeks then die is not normal by any standards,

BUT if the vet had been treating the pup, had done tests and new what was wrong with the pup that could be diff,
    that said a PM could show other factors being involved,
  16. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    No I'm not talking about fading puppy syndrome as that can usually be seen progressing, there is a lot of puppies die during the whelping process, don't see loads of reasons for they're deaths listed,
    the pup at 6 weeks was in fact getting treated at the vet so i'm quite sure the vet had a fair idea of what he was dealing with...
  17. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    reasons for a pup;s death at welping or soon after

problems with birthing

broken ambilical in the birth canal / ruptured sac in the birth canal / inhalation of fluid / suffocation / under developed heart valves / cleft palate /
    retained puppy / no anus

the list is endless, lack of heat can kill pups, not worming your bitch properly when pregnant can cause problems with pups being born with worm burdens

so many things can go wrong in the first few weeks,
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  18. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    word it another way, yes shona i'm aware of your list lol
    autopsys porving death at birth...hope thats clearer x
  19. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    But we are not talking pups that have died at birth, Are we?:?

My vet would still look at a pup that died at birth / or soon after to see if he could give me a clear answer as to the problem, Im not saying he would Have to cut it up, he may be able to tell without that,,, eg the one pup I have had die had a cleft palete, any GOOD breeder wants to know what has caused the death of pups,

IF you dont follow up and find out,, your could end up mating dogs who are more likely to cause congenital defects, thus your really just dooming pups to death, hardly the better option is it. I would rather have a PM done on one pup than go on blindly and cause the death of others
  20. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Its not my list, Its a small part of a list most breeders will have :roll:
  21. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Whatever...my point, shouldv'e made it clearer to start with, lots of puppies die in the first few weeks, not all would be autopsy because of reasons for possible causes of death, which I'm also sure most breeders would go by so no reason to autopsy, if every pup that was born dead or soon after went to the vets to be autopsyed (theres gotta be a better word lol ) the vets would be rolling it in...have you had pups die young ? or any breeder commenting here for that matter, Ihad a GSpuppy die soon after birth, tried every thing I could to save it, OH was in tears, Ididn't take him to the vet, does that make me a bad breeder ? I'm sure lots of breeders have and will be in the same position...