Aren't these the strangest looking Dobes? Photos

Discussion in 'Dobermann' started by Skyespirit86, Jul 24, 2008.

1. madisondobie

madisondobie New Member

Name:
    madisondobie
    thanks for putting up that bit of history on the dobermann its was very interesting reading and the last bit
    is so true i cant go anywhere without my shadow.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Hi Shona.
    A Dobes neck should be "fairly long and lean" I think that fits what we see in those pics. IMO :grin: I do agree with your point though.:)

Nope! Missing teeth is an inherited genetic fault, nothing at all to do with it being a rescue.

Sykespirit.
    The idea of judging any breed is to judge it by its standard, when you read the standard in different countries they are differently worded and interperetted, which is why you see the variaion in type to what we have here. If you are talking working Dobes, then those you put pics up of, most resemble the original Dobe for type (bred for working alone then) as they were nowhere near as heavy built as they are now.
  4. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
  6. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Poor Vinnie! Some head on that chap! Proper Rottie!
  8. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
  9. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    pg 3 , 2nd row down, 3rd pic across, I am not keen about that look
  10. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Good site for pedigree info!:grin:

I agree with you about "that" Dobe too, not keen myself.

For me this is the most "perfect" Dobe I have seen, she is just superb!

http://www.dobermanns.net/assets/images/the_vixenS.jpg
  11. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    This is my favourite bitch :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's the closest thing to a stand I have as she's just a pet
  12. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Cheers:grin:

Not sure which one is my fav ref the ones I have seen....
  13. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
  14. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I loved those two, they were great.
  15. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I loved them too xxx

Having read the info it makes me wonder whether the smaller one (the pic with the bowls especially, one looks smaller) is the female. I always thought they were both boys but it says on one of the links there were two males and a female used......... It makes me want to watch the show now and see all the diff clips of the dogs!!!
  16. Skyespirit86

Skyespirit86 New Member

Name:
    Holly
    Maybe they do fit the breed standard, but the breed standard is not God as far as a breed of dog goes. It is for the purpose of showing, and showing is for outward appearance mostly, and these follow trends, and are biased. They can easily change a breed beyond recognition, and create an appearance which some people such as myself do not agree with or like, and feel is moving away from what a real Dobe should be.
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    No, it is the blueprint for a pedigree bred of dog, it IS the Dobermann (in this case) Your opinion is just that, what you think they should loook like, but it may not be fitting of the standard.:)
  18. Bilclarie

Bilclarie New Member

Name:
    maureen
    One of the earliest pictures there is from 1915 of a Dobermann in the making
    [​IMG]

One of my all time favorite females Kalina von nordamstam who was a great influence on the breed and who produced many show and working champions a lot of european blood lines go back to her.
    [​IMG]

Mo and the Gang
  19. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Thanks so much for sharing these. Especially the 1915 pic, great to see an earlier Dobe xx
  20. Skyespirit86

Skyespirit86 New Member

Name:
    Holly
    Well I still disagree, the kennel club standards are really just the kennel club's opinion, they do not own rights to the dobermann breed or any other breed. They are a club which the majority of serious breeders choose to subscribe to, and which people wishing to show and win recognisable accolades subscribe to.

The kennel club can and do change breed standards. So they are not fixed in stone. The dobes with the skinny necks represent a new trend, which still manages to fit the standard because the standard cannot possibly detail every single little difference which may crop up. It depends on who is judging the animal in question. Over the years without any changes to the standard some dogs can and have changed noticeably through judging bias, and trends among breeders and society.

If the breed standard IS the dobermann, then if you breed a non- Kc reg puppy is it not really a dobermann? If it happens to be born with a feature that means it doesn't fit the standard perfectly is not a dobermann anymore? Like I say the kennel club do not own the breeds, the breeds were created by various people with their own ideas and for various different purposes, why not respect the original breeders and the dog's original purpose/physique? And make sure that ethics come before creating a look, and of course realise that the breed is ultimately in our own hands and if their is something apparently not right, we have a right to our opinion . The Kennel Club is just a club, it's not the government, or God. It's like asking someone why they do something, and they reply (without wanting to be discriminating), 'because my parents brought me up to believe that,' or 'The bible tells me to.'
  21. jannie

jannie New Member

Name:
    snakebite
    Well i must say the necks are a bit long but beautiful dogs.As you know sasha has greyhound in her.To me a dobbie is well built.I was worried about sasha being too thin i am glad i have seen these dogs my sasha is nearly double their looks but has a shorter neck i just wish i could get a decent pic of her to show.Some say she looks like the weimaraner,but i agree with the ones that say she has the dobbie look,definately.