Epilepsy in NI's Controversial

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Razcox, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    How can this be the case when NIDs have both GSD and Siberian Husky in their breeding both of which have a predisposition to Idiopathic Epilepsy:? .
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Fact: Abbie contacted (in March 2008) the TIDA breeder who owns Sacha's sister and told her not to breed for her again because the family connection to epilespy had come to light. This woman chose to be completely unethical and bred from this bitch (after Abbie's communication) knowing the implications, what could be the motive of such a mating? The litter is now approx 8 weeks old. The strange thing is this litter is not advertised and has never been on the TIDA website or forum.............Why on earth not if they feel they have done nothing wrong?
  4. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    That should say March 2008 but I can't get the smiley thing off.
  5. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia

Its is not strange at all, I have had over 100 pms regarding NIs and I suspected it was who you said but wasnt sure.
    And trust me I have a vested interest in this 2 Nis from Katos breeder have epilepsy which I found out today :cry:
  6. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

As I understand it inherited epilepsy shows itself when the dog is between one and five years - not always just before 18 months as that e-mail says. Read through the Research Grants in the link below - "Differences in the age at the onset of symptoms, the type and severity of seizures, and the responsiveness to therapy suggest that many forms of epilepsy can affecte dogs and that mutations in any of a number of different genes may result in canine epilepsy."

http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/grants.html

As for mode of inheritance - it is not known. It could be a simple recessive trait, simple dominant trait or a complex trait. I find it questionable if the advice would be to continue breeding when mode of inheritance was not known.

Read this from the Guardian Angels website.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/genetics.html

The mode of inheritance refers to whether the disorder is a simple recessive trait, a simple dominant trait, or a complex trait. Traits that are "simple" are carried by a single gene, while traits that are complex involve more than one gene. With complex genetic traits, the different genes can combine or interact with each other, and the genes can also interact with the dog's environment. Of course, simple genetic traits are easier to study. The term "recessive" means that a dog will only have the disorder if the defective gene is passed down by both of the parents. Thus, if only one parent passes down the defective gene, the offspring will not be affected with the disorder, although they can be "carriers" and later pass down their one defective gene to their own offspring. The term "dominant" means that the dog can have the disorder even if only one of the parents passes down the defective gene.
  7. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    Also the mode of inheritance could be different for different breeds.
  8. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    I can`t believe the compiler/s of the email can have missed this either :shock:
    [ Noting that Razcox is not the author of the email containing the bits quoted below but need to quote the post author for continuity ]

As the Animal Trust are heavily involved in the work toward devising " a DNA marker test that detects and distinguishes normal and mutant (epilepsy-causing) alleles, and make this test available to dog breeders so that they can produce epilepsy-free dogs." I can`t believe for a second that they would say `it`s ok so long as not put to a carrier ` when it is not possible yet because the test has not been developed to know which are carriers and which are not until it`s too late of course when the results of any mating start having epileptic seizures, so it looks like either deliberately or otherwise whatever the AT may have said has to have been misunderstood or `refined to suit`...

Considering the mess its all in because of being a completely ill-conceived and utterly unethical `breed development` from the very start, would that be a bad thing ? :?

Ah does that mean there really is a complete detailed list on the origins after all - including the strays it all started from... ?

Perhaps the author of the email can be contacted again and asked to provide that information publicly once and for all, it sure would answer some questions - including making it possible to trace where the epilepsy may have come in from in the first place considering there is known epilepsy in at least one of the breeds thrown in to the mix which - perhaps a genetics expert could confirm or refute ;-) - is more than likely what did happen in which case it`s just as likely that the problem is a heck of a lot bigger than may appear / be admitted to so far because so many of the current lines have to stem back to those breedings, [ unless there has been lots of crossbreeding going on after the time NI to NI only gets claimed - when did it become NI to NI only by the way, does anyone know ? *cough* ].

And the Ute`s which have the same origins, presumably the NI factions in conjunction with their helpful geneticists are working with Ute people on this ?
    I seriously doubt it of course, and no headway will ever be made while there are factions and splits, fighting, lies and smokescreens, and the `it`s not our dogs it`s theirs` mentality.

So frankly at risk of sounding harsh, I feel the only solution given how badly implemented everything started out, all the politics etc, the lack of ethics on so many levels which seems to be the norm rather than the exception, and what a damned mess it all is, that the best thing for the dogs really would be to stop breeding them altogether, all of them, regardless of what name/faction they come under, for people who have NIs/whatever name depending on group, to enjoy and treasure their existing dogs as companions for the rest of their lives but to accept that enough is enough, no more, better a breed eventually become a pictorally historical ` if only things had been done right` than keep forging on with what was a lost cause before it started in terms of breed development :? [ jmo ]
  9. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Is`nt it a good job you did`nt really mean it when you first came to the forum saying you were originally intending on breeding from Kato what with this and what you say you have found out on the hips issue as well and have since stated Kato was very badly bred...
    Has his snip op date been sorted yet ? ;-)
  10. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Crystalwater :) I note from another thread that you have had a NI puppy for 3 weeks, from this information one gets the impression you are new to the breed is this so?

If this is the case how come you have heard of Abbie, knew the breeder of her dogs and actually discussed her dogs with someone :? ?
  11. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    `It` ? :shock:

Moving on and to keep to topic, what do you do as an experienced breeder of NIs to `ensure` you are not breeding from any dogs carrying epilepsy ?

Also, as a founder of NIs, what records are there please of all the dogs used to create the breed and the health status of those dogs regarding HD, Elbows, and epilepsy ?

TIA
  12. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel

In short . . no! You have been warned by Patch on more then on thread and i will not get involved in your petty mudslinging.

To get back on topic . . . .

If there is no test for epilepsy then how do other breeds manage the breeding lines ect to limit the exposure of the breed? Am i right in think BC have problems with epilepsy?
  13. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    BCs do, yes :-(
    The only way to limit it is to never breed again from dogs which have parented a litter with an epileptic pup as there is not test yet.
    VetGen in the US are doing studies at the moment to work toward that end and are asking for DNA submissions for epilepsy and other inherited conditions in various breeds.

The list of what they are currently looking for is here, [ but they do invite submissions re epilepsy in particular for other breeds but generally they expand on breeds needed as time goes on ]

http://www.vetgen.com/research-genetic-disease.html

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/dnaresearch.html

I would think NIs as such a new breed for which heritage should be known would/should have been an ideal candidate if the gene pool is still considered small but of course it would require all breeders and owners of them to work together, much like the BC community came together for TNS which very quickly resulted in a test being devised for that awful disease, and that`s a disease which is relatively newly discovered.

Amazing what can be accomplished though when people put their breed first regardless of any clashes of personalities within a breed :001:
  14. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I didn't used to understand why the two sides couldn't work together but after looking at both side i can say i don't think that is ever going to happen. Its not about just a clash in personality anymore but a whole different set of ethics. But if individuals (sp?) got together as well then maybe there would be room to wiggle!

Thanks for that info it was a very interesting post :mrgreen:
  15. ElaiRs

ElaiRs New Member

Patch, that second link you posted makes for interesting reading. I wonder if the breeder would be willing to bloodtest her dogs to be sent for analysis. Of course, testing extended family in the dogs line would need to be done too to help them get a better picture. It would certainly be worth doing since the breed is still in its infancy compared to a breed that has a long history and definitely easier if breeders of these dogs were willing.
  16. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Could maybe have a doggy blood drive and raise money to help with the cost of testing as well. Turn it into a bit of a social event as well as something so serious.
  17. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I posted this way back but nobody seemed remotely interested. Whatever, it's a long old thread, so here it is again:

http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/

:grin:
  18. ElaiRs

ElaiRs New Member

Something like that might work but someone would have to speak to the breeder and try and get him/her on board too. Previous breeders too of dogs from the same line and other lines that may be affected.

Dont know how workable it would be but maybe fundraising would help as you suggested.
  19. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    I did not buy Kato on looks alone lets get that clear I bought him on temperament also. I even had him stay a weekend before I got him as was imperative he got on with my dogs as we had been living in a warzone for over 5 years and my Lab had spent years being dominated.
    I did not check NIs or there history what so ever as had experience with large dogs and as long as he wasnt aggressive could cope with any other issues.
    It was only a few weeks after getting Kato that Bobbi got lymphoma and losing her was a killer for us as a family she was out 1st pet and losing her was heartbreaking. So I decided to up quality of insurance then found loads wouldnt insure Kato as said he had wolf content, so just decided to research this dog I had.
    HUGGGGGGGGGGGGE mistake I found everything was cloak and daggers and surrounded in secrecy, which just made me look more.
    I cant help but feel hips and epilepsy and general health are not as important as status and income.
    Hope that answers your question.
  20. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Looks a good website Lucky star it explains so even people like me understand, some just baffle you with science.
  21. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

This was the page of interest - under Research:
    [FONT=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canine Epilepsy Research[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Ned Patterson, DVM
    University of Minnesota, College of Veterinary Medicine[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Gary Johnson, DVM, PhD
    University of Missouri, College of Veterinary Medicine[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Canine Epilepsy Project is a collaborative study into the causes of epilepsy in dogs. It is supported by grants from the AKC Canine Health Foundation (CHF), National Institutes of Health (NIH), individual breed clubs and private donations. Grants supporting this research are CHF Completed Grant #1718, CHF Completed Grant #1729, CHF Completed Grant #1845, CHF Active Grant #2252, CHF Active Grant #2304, and NIH Award #1K08NS0224501.
    Our goal is to find the genes responsible for epilepsy in dogs so that wise breeding can decrease the incidence of the disease in dogs. We also hope that knowing what genes regulate epilepsy in dogs may help us better tailor our therapy to the specific cause.
    The objectives of our investigations into hereditary canine epilepsy are: [/FONT]
    1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Recruit samples from a large number of affected individuals and their immediate family members (siblings, parents, and grandparents), from many breeds of dogs. [/FONT]
    2. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Evaluate the genotype of selected families to search for linkage between DNA markers and clinical epilepsy, then use this information to identify the causative mutation or mutations. [/FONT]
    3. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Devise a DNA marker test that detects and distinguishes normal and mutant (epilepsy-causing) alleles, and make this test available to dog breeders so that they can produce epilepsy-free dogs. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Progress to Date[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As of September 1, 2006, samples from 8066 dogs representing 90 different breeds have been submitted for epilepsy research. Included in this total are 1207 affected dogs. As samples arrive, families are assembled and data compiled. We have reached the initial goal of 50 breeds included in the project, but not all breeds have informative families sampled at this time. At present, all breeds with more than 20 affected dogs are being evaluated and prepared for possible mapping, and the mapping process has begun in some breeds. Samples from potentially useful families of any breed are still needed, and we encourage owners to participate. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Breed [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Total
    Number [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Affected
    Total [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Affected
    Males [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Affected
    Females [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Akbash Dog [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alaskan (Racing) Husky [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Australian Shepherd [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1080[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]128[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]63[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]65[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Beagle [/FONT]184[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]36[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]18[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]18[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bloodhound[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]66 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Border Collie [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]83[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]22[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Border Terrier [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]124[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]39[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]15[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]24[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brittany [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]39[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canaan Dog [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]26[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chinook + Chinook cross [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]280[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]35[/FONT]17[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Collie [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]111[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]22[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dachshund [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]74[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dalmatian [/FONT]95[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]33[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13[/FONT]20[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]English Shepherd [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]22[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Finnish Spitz [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]78[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fox Terrier (Wire) [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]German Pinscher [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]36[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]German Shepherd Dog [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]23[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Giant Schnauzer [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Great Dane [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]29[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Great Pyrenees [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]23[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Greater Swiss Mountain Dog [/FONT]887[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]63[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]41[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]22[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ibizan Hound [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]66[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]15[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Italian Greyhound [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]50[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jack Russell Terrier [/FONT]27[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]10[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mastiff [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Newfoundland [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Otterhound [/FONT]131[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]46 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pointer [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]241[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pointer, German Shorthaired [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]33[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pomeranian [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]32[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poodle (Standard) [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]291[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]26[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pyrenean Shepherd [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]22 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Retriever, Chesapeake Bay [/FONT]86[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]21[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14[/FONT]7[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Retriever, Curly Coated [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]75 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Retriever, Golden [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]64[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Retriever, Labrador [/FONT]201[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]50[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]29[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]21[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rottweiler [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Saint Bernard [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]106[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Samoyed [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Schipperke[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]39[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Setter, English [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]126 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Setter, Irish [/FONT]229[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]58[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]45 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shetland Sheepdog [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]31[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Siberian Husky [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]80[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]23[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]15[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spaniel, American Water [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]253[/FONT]27[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]16[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spaniel, Cocker (American) [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]128 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]28 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spaniel, English Springer [/FONT]869[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]85[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]45[/FONT]40[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spaniel, Field [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]109[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spaniel, Irish Water [/FONT]310[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]37[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]22[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]15[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spaniel, Welsh Springer [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]413[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]25[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Standard Schnauzer [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]183 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]15[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tibetan Mastiff[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]24[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vizsla [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]264 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]53[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]26[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]27[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weimeraner [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Welsh Terrier [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]34[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*Other breeds [/FONT]100[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]57[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]31 [/FONT]26[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TOTALS (09-01-06) [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8066[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1207[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]663[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]544[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]*includes less that 10 dogs per breed of the following:
    Akita, Alaskan Malamute, American Bulldog, Australian Terrier, Basenji, Belgian Malinois, Belgian Tervuren,
    Bernese Mountain Dog, Bichon Frise, Bluetick Coonhound, Borzoi, Boston Terrier, Briard, Bullmastiff,
    Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Chinese Shar-Pei, Dandie Dinmont Terrier, Flat-Coated Retriever, French Bulldog,
    Irish Wolfhound, Keeshond, Leonberger, Mi-Ki, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever,Pembroke Welsh Corgi,
    Pit Bull Terrier, Poodle (Miniature), Portugese Water Dog, Saluki, Scottish Terrier, Small Munsterlander
    Spinone Italiano, Tibetan Terrier, Welsh Corgi-Pembroke
    [/SIZE][/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The level of participation by any breed should not be interpreted as an indication of the frequency of this problem within the breed, but can serve to demonstrate the commitment by fanciers of that breed to help researchers solve this problem. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PUBLISHED RESEARCH[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dr Patterson is the lead author on an article that appeared in the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, May-June 2003 issue. Following is the abstract from this article: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Clinical characteristics and inheritance of idiopathic epilepsy in Vizslas. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Patterson EE, Mickelson JR, Da Y, Roberts MC, McVey AS, O'Brien DP, Johnson GS, Armstrong PJ.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, University of Minnesota, College of Veterinary Medicine, St Paul, MN 55108, USA.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medical record, seizure survey, and telephone interview information was obtained for 29 Vizslas with idiopathic epilepsy (IE), 74 unaffected siblings, and 41 parents to determine the common clinical characteristics and most likely mode of inheritance. IE was diagnosed on the basis of the age of seizure onset, laboratory results, and neurologic examination findings. Computerized tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan with cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) analysis was required for the inclusion of dogs with an age of seizure onset of < 6 months or > 5 years. Simple segregation analysis was performed with an ascertainment correction and chi-square analysis. IE appeared to be familial in these pedigrees, with 79% of affected Vizslas exhibiting partial onset seizures. Partial seizure signs included a combination of limb tremors, staring, pupillary dilatation, or salivation without loss of consciousness in > 50% of the dogs with partial signs. The estimated segregation frequency of P = .22 (95% CI, P = .08 to .36) was consistent with autosomal recessive inheritance; however, polygenic inheritance could not be excluded as a possibility. Simulated linkage with FASTSLINK estimated that the average logarithm of odds (LOD) score would be 3.23 with a 10-centimorgan (cM) whole-genome scan for these families, indicating that these families would be useful for a whole-genome scan to potentially find the chromosomal segment(s) containing the epilepsy gene or genes. We conclude that IE in Vizslas appears to be primarily a partial onset seizure disorder that may be inherited as an autosomal recessive trait.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]J Vet Intern Med. 2003 May-Jun;17(3):319-25.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How can I help?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you have an epileptic dog, you can supply samples and information for the project.
    Participation by the owners of affected dogs and their relatives is essential to the success of this project. Researchers need DNA samples from dogs who have experienced seizures, and immediate relatives, both normal and affected. Specifically, we need samples from all available siblings, parents, and grandparents. If the affected dog has been bred, all offspring and mates should be sampled as well. Useful research families are explained in more detail here. Participation in this research project is confidential - the names of individual owners or dogs will not be revealed. Data and sample collection instructions and sample submission forms are available to download here, or the packet will be mailed or faxed upon request.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dog clubs can contribute to the success of this project by making their members aware that this research is underway, and encouraging those who have affected dogs or relatives to participate.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your financial support makes this project possible.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You can continue to help through donations to any of the following funds: [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Canine Health Foundation of the American Kennel Club. The CHF often matches the funds donated by clubs or individuals, thus doubling the impact your donation may have. You may specify that your donation is used for epilepsy research, and they will honor your request. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Individual breed club foundations dedicated to epilepsy research. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]American Kennel Club [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Canine Health Foundation [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Canine Epilepsy Research Consortium is a group of scientists who have agreed to: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]share DNA samples, phenotype data, and genotype data [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]share credit for scientific contribution by co-authoring manuscripts [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]agree that discoveries will be put into public domain. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The group currently includes: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]University of Missouri
    Gary Johnson, DVM, PhD
    Dennis O'Brien, DVM, PhD
    Joan Coates, DVM, MS
    Shahnawaz Khan, PhD [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Liz Hansen [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]University of Minnesota
    James Mickelson, PhD
    Ned Patterson, DVM [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animal Health Trust Matthew Binns, PhD
    Cathryn Mellersh, PhD [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CERC Information Exchange[/FONT]​