Info & pics please on Springers & Springer crosses! General Chat

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by MistyBlue, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Great input Rips but I can't agree about 'workers' being fussy eaters. They will eat anything - and everything given the chance.

Agree with them chewing 'though' anything. I came home once to find Fingal in the lounge having left him shut in the hall :shock: He'd gone through the wall.:roll:

As for your arm - yep - get on the weights now. Pound for pound - they are hard to beat.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Hence the bit in brackets - from personal experience! ;-)

We've had 3 working type and 1 show type. All of the workers have been picky eaters/skinny beggars and the show type greedy/fat piggies and talking to other show type owners this appears to be pretty much the norm! :lol:
  4. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    I'll take your word for it Rips ;-)

Fingal got a boot up the **** tonight and missed out on his dinner after hopping onto the worktop and wolfing our Sunday roast reamins which we had a day late.

You've got to love them no matter how much they test you.
  5. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Indeed you will mate, indeed you will!;-)
  6. Luke

Luke New Member

The best dogs, in the right hands. My Ralph is a
    mix of show and field blood, but is more showy...i like his big soppyness!:lol: But he is, well has been, more hardwork then many show types i've met. When he was younger he was..horrible, but this was generally due to the fact that although i'd researched for nearly two years...my hands on experience wasn't up to scratch, and I wasn't firm enough when he was young. Nowdays, he's a lot better..and a pleasure to own. But he is the perfect example of the breed "going wrong", you need to be firm and very concise in their up bringing. But honestly, they aren't as bad as what everyone thinks! I'd love another, but finding a suitable ess to my taste isn't overly easy:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PODGE!:lol: it was all fluff, promise!
    [​IMG]
  7. angied

angied New Member

Name:
    angie
    i have 2 springers and a springer cross weim. the cross is the most laziest dog i have ever met. if allowed hed spend all day on the sofa! ill try and get some pics on here of them all. the springers are very loyal the dog does have a habit of running off hes still learning and hes 8! the bitch is very loyal to me. we wanted hyper dogs cos the kids are hyper and theyve fitted in great (had them allsince pups) oh and also have a border terrier who rules the roost!!!!
  8. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    awww his gorgeous! :D

oooo cant wait to see pics! and of the cross! wonder what she looks like??? :D
  9. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Do they swim? I think I want one.....:roll:
  10. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    what about a Golden Retriever cross Springer Spaniel............. would that make for a 'bad' cross..............just asking out of intrest..........honestly!.... :D
  11. goddard72

goddard72 New Member

Name:
    Jase
    They swim like Ducks if they are introduced to water properly. I.e. slowly and gradualy in warmer very shallow water...never very cold for the first few times so the cold shock doesnt deter them. Then gradualy work deeper and further out in steady increments...exactly the same as with the water temperature, gradualy work colder and colder as the seasons change and hopefully it will all come together at some point.

Happy hunting for a Pup..they are fantastic dogs but not without their drawbacks...same as any breed tho....I doubt you will be dissapointed.
  12. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Welshies are notoriously picky eaters. I've had some puppies I've practically had to force feed. Then theres Dice ;) who has to go to mums every few months to fat camp. He has to be the laziest welshie in the world, we tried him at obedience and he went in the tunnel and fell asleep.
    Mind you is proper name is Dyson after the vacuum cleaner, he's beem hoovering since he was 9 weeks old. :D
  13. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    :lol:

They do love water, but they're not as bad as a Lab when it comes to the wet stuff. Woody would dive head first into the nearest river and nothing I could say would deter him! :lol: Isla, on the other hand, will only swim if I throw something to be fetched, other than that she's happy with a paddle. The same applies to all the other Springers I've had too. :D
  14. Springador

Springador New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    I have a golden retriever cross springer and he is lovely, he looks just like a giant black springer, he is very easy to train and loves agility.
  15. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    awww do you have any pics?? i have seen this cross for sale sooo cute! :D :007:
  16. Stevel

Stevel New Member

Name:
    Steve
    And just to confuse things even further re working as opposed to show springers, her are pictures of two of my springers, both working stock and both with little or no Rytex in them.

Megan, sadly now gone now

[​IMG]

and Ailla

[​IMG]

Two purely working dogs from working stock but totally different in build and colour.

Also I would say that not all Sprockers turn out looking like springers. here is Maizy, my daughter's Sprocker

[​IMG]

She is a tiny little thing, definitely Cocker size and full of Cocker attitude and character and I would use her for beating but her tail is not docked and would be torn to shreds in the countryside we beat in.

Steve
  17. freddie-frecks

freddie-frecks New Member

Name:
    christina
    Wow theyre gorgeous Steve, I love the markings on your daughters sprocker, very unusual, thanks for sharing!
  18. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    wow! they are all gorgeous!! :D :D
  19. Springador

Springador New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Here are some of him,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

He is such a lovely dog, he has the build of a golden retriever but the bounce of a springer, which can be hard sometimes with his size.
  20. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    ooo his gorgeous!!

the pups i have seen for sale are all golden in colour, im trying my hardest not to go view them!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  21. Springador

Springador New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    What cross are they?