Show greyhounds... Discussions

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by Petticoat, May 15, 2008.

1. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Wow, your Alice is gorgeous, as a pup, and as an adult, what a stunning dog :003:

I don't see why show bred greys arent popular because they dont make great pets ! Many breeds dont make great pets, yet they are in abundance in the show ring !
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. AussieGeek

AussieGeek New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Alice is so cute :p Baby Greys remind me of baby horses with those legs ;)
  4. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    Alice is wonderful! I really love these dogs.. and her colouring is beautiful!
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I think its because people associate them with racing Malady. Of course cost may come into it too, a rescue Grey can be picked up very cheaply, but a show bred one is several hundred pounds, given the choice I think the cheaper one would be the obvious choice for most pet owners.

In 15yrs of boarding dogs, I have never boarded a show bred greyhound, yet the ex racers are thick on the ground, we board loads.
  6. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Its true about ex racers being cheap, there are three in the paper and one is a black and white boy (my favourite colouring) and they are all free, I can't adopt him either cos of my buns and pigs:-( But I will content myself to look at Alice:grin: the girl is a stunner!
  7. tova

tova New Member

Name:
    meriel
    Thanks for your lovely comments about Alice everyone- and Dawn SHE AIN'T FOR SALE!!!:mrgreen:
  8. Archer

Archer New Member

I go to ringcraft(or used to I should say) where one lady took show greyhounds(she owned and bred the greyhound that used to be on coronation street..who was out of interest a show champion and dam of several others!).They were all the most gentle,sedate and noble of dogs. They have got to be one of the most laid back breed I have ever met
  9. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    I have only just found this thread. I have an ex racer and a show bred greyhound. I show them both. William has not been to many shows lately as nearly 2 years ago he escaped and was hit by a car. He suffered from radial paraylisis of his front leg. The vet wanted to amputate but 10 weeks later William was completely sound. Button went to crufts in 2008 having ran her last race in ocober 2007 when we had her. She was not a rescue she came to us straight from her trainer owner.

As I said she went to crufts it was her first show she had never seen so many dogs or people. My son showed her and came 3rd out of 14 in the racing and coursing bitch.

In June last year she went to the greyhound club champ show were she came 5th in post grad out of 12 beating a lot of show greyhounds.

Archer the people that owned the greyhound on corrie is the Newshams. I think I am right in thinking that the greyhound past away last year.

[​IMG]
  10. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    All beautiful - i love all of the hound group tbh - i have an ex racer and she is so easy - undemanding, affectionate (although they can be a little aloof) good with the children but she does have a high prey drive - as said before all dogs have that instinct but in ex racers it is more pronounced as that is all they know, chasing !

I have had a couple of hairy moments with her - she killed my neighbours cat and she will chase if she sees a rabbit, she nearly caught a hare just the other day. saying that some can be homed with cats (probably ones that never raced)

Its true what they say as well - one greyhound is never enough, i am trying desperately to convince my OH to get another !
  11. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Button has raced and she is fine with my cat. He doesn't come in very often as he is a semi feral cat that has adopted us but when he does come in she is not bothered by him. The cat in fact bullies William and chases him of his food so that he can pinch it.

I forgot to say in my earlier post. We sometimes go lurcher racing that a friend organises in a secure field and William is just as keen to chase the lure as Button is. She will course but tends to catch the lure as she is too quick for it and she straight races. She is used to train a big lurcher that tends to barge a bit as will will not react to him except by speeding up a bit. William is only allowed to straight race because of his shoulder injury we don't want him twisting and turning on it too much but he loves it and screams when the other dogs are having their turn.
  12. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    i am hoping to take Blue to a few companion shows this year, he is obviosly an ex racer and it will only be a bit of fun but is there anything i should know about showing a greyhound in particular?
    I guess you need to make them look strong, powerful yet graceful to get the best out??
  13. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Teach him to stand still to let the judge go over him and to let him look at his teeth. If you look on my post on the previos page there is a photo of my son showing my ex racer at crufts last year. He needs to stand as she is there should be a straight line from the dogs hock to the floor.. Greyhounds are normally shown on a slip lead. If you don't have one at a companion show you will be ok with his normal collar and lead.

When you move him for the judge you will most likely have to run to get him to trot nicely to show the judge his movement. It depends on the judge but they may ask you to do a triangle which can be hard with a greyhound if the ring is small and may ask you to move the dog in a straight lne away from him/her and then back to them.

Other than that there is no trimming as such to do on a greyhound make sure his coat is clean bath him if necessary and get white bits white. If he is black or blue a quick polish with a shammie leather or a piece of velvet will give his coat an extra shine.
  14. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Cool thanks very much x