Greyhound racing industry breeder disposes of puppies that wont chase! Controversial

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by Jodie, May 12, 2008.

1. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    I've lost count of the amount of people I've heard saying that pinning a dog on it's back will 'teach it', god people have even told me that's what I should do if my dogs get out of line :roll:

There are stupid people all over the world that either know what they're doing is wrong and dont care who knows about it, or dont genuinely think it is wrong, because as far as they're concerned, the dog belongs to them, so they can do what they like AND by law they can, provided it's not 'cruel'.

Killing a dog isn't against the law. Doing it inhumanely IS. If that man was going to kill that dog instantly with no pain, he would have done nothing illegal and therfore have nothing to hide.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

So why the need for the vet to take the dog (and report him to the police), from someone who was humanely about to euthanize a dog...

As a vet he would have surely been involved in euthanizing many an animal humanely...so would have no problem with someone doing just that!!

Yes , there are many people who believe that they have got the right to do with their animals as they wish...be it through ignorance or sheer arrogance.

But you would still have to be incredibly foolish to advertise the fact;-)

I know of people who value animal live as worthless if it is not earning them money..... and to often you will see said animals disappear.... then a brag in the pub about dispatching it up the field, but confront them and they will deny every word.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2008
  4. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    Maybe he was so dam mad he didn't care what he said and who he said it to:evil: , Michael apperently didn't say he was a vet until the man admitted he was gonna knock him on the noggin with the shovel,:evil: some people are so dim they will tell all,:twisted: and just a pity he felt the need it knock it on the noggin in the first place, he could have took him in to a rescue, or to a vet's to be put down if he didn't want him, some people think there is no-way out maybe and some just stupid and cruel.
    The dog was called Tip and now has a great home and when I ever see Michael I will tell him he done a great job.:023:

Shame though really this is what the world has come to.:-(
  5. dollyknockers

dollyknockers

Name:
    n/a
    Mike is my vet , not Zb , He is also a long term friend of mine an knowing me like he does he knows im extremley passionate in animal welfare and have reported a few cruelty cases to hoim and asked for his help on getting evidence before makin report to the ,r,s,p,c,a , I was at his surgery on the day he brought the grey hound in , He asked if i fancied a coffee and a chat He was extremley shaking up buy what he had just witnessed, I asked him what happened and how he came about haven this dog , He said he was on a call to a local farmer when he withnessed a man dragging a dog from the boot of his car Which my vet had quickly taken reg of ,And booting it across towards a field , With a shovel in his hand my vet confronted him and asked why he found the need to be so wicked and he said to him sod off , My vet kept asking and he said the bloke hurled more abuse at him and said its a cr@p dog cant race and make money any more so im getting rid , My vet said ill have him to which he replied a hundred quid then , My vet said thats a lot of money I dont have enough on me at presen he said to my vet dont matter im going to hit on the head with this shovel any way , So my vet told him who he was and the guy panicked when the other vet who was assisting in the call out arrived and let go of the dog and scappered , Michael quickly chased after the dog . He has since reported the case to the r,s,p,c,a , Where we live people discard of ex racers by any means possible and even bragg about it , Like its something to be proud of , I know of a few greyhounds and lurchers that have not ben so lucky , There once was a bloke who offered to do this to a friend of mines lurcher cause it was lainm on its back leg xxdk
  6. galty

galty New Member

SORRY

Must ask WHAT PART OF THE COUNTRY DO YOU LIVE IN.
  7. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni

Northern Ireland same as me.xx
  8. dollyknockers

dollyknockers

Name:
    n/a
    Northern Ireland , WHY do you ask ?
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I think you'll find this type of activity does happen more over there, my sister lived in Northern Ireland for 9yrs and witnessed terrible cruelty which was looked upon as "normal."
  10. dollyknockers

dollyknockers

Name:
    n/a
    Its disgusting Dawn , That people have no value for the love of an animal and dispose of them willy nilly when they no longer serve the purpose to the people , I know a few people who sell there ex racers to the travelling community, When theyre racing days are over , AT least in these cases most are really well looked after by ther travellers , They are mostly keept then for pets or they get to have fun chasing the odd rabbit xxdk
  11. galty

galty New Member

Because in your profile you give a stupid location.

Well I have to respect any one who can give an insite in the area they live and will take more notice of their posts.

So hope you can give infomation on the Vet involved.
  12. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    Some of thing's you hear about Dawn is horrible and wonder why they get away with it, but Michael being a vet will I hope carry more wieght in getting this cruel b*****d arrested and prosecuted.:evil:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2008
  13. dollyknockers

dollyknockers

Name:
    n/a
    Michael had a wee greyhound puppy dumped on his door step of one of his surgerys about 9 months back , It was so weak and thin poor we thing had parvo it was only about 10 weeks old , With a note attached please look after me , It is now called Mav and a resident of the surgery he is a wee smasher , All the staff of the surgery took it in turns to care for him throughout the day and night , And at one point it was feared he would not make it , You should see him now he is a smashing we fella , So it seems not only ex racers are dumped and disregarded by people xxxdk
  14. bajaluna

bajaluna

Name:
    Jayne
    that this has to happen is disgusting but I blame the antis if they didnt name and shame the trainers,the trainers could openly take their unwanteds to rescue,if the antis were nice and worked with the trainers to remove the dogs that wont race,that dog would never have gotten to the point where sheer luck saved its life.xxxx
  15. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    I agree.;-)
  16. spot

spot New Member

Just on for a min to address this point.

So let me get this right – that this goes on is nothing to do with the industry over breeding thousands of dogs (which even many involved agree is a problem), its nothing to do with the trainers not returning them to the breeders, its nothing to do with the industry not keeping proper records of what has happened to the dogs, its got nothing to do with dogs being old and injured? Its all down to the rescues and people who are against exploiting dogs to make money?

What do you do with your ‘unwanted’ dogs?

So you think all the old, injured, non chasers should be dumped on rescues – because obviously they’re the ones that make money of these dogs, they’re the ones with the time to rehabilitate them, rescues are the ones who’s fault is it?? That just beggars belief! Just how many dogs do you think rescues can take, there is not an unlimited number of spaces for any breed of dog, there is not a limitless pot of money either! Rescues in this country are full to bursting already with thousands of dog being pts every day and you want them to take even more?

The antis as you call them only name and shame when the trainers etc can be found – not always the case, also in the last case it was the courts that named the trainers – or should our courts be gagged as well?

We are anti because the industry does not give a dam about the dogs, only money, they have had years to get their house in order and done nothing about the welfare of the dogs. Unless the money side of this industry is addressed the problems will continue.

Also are you saying that these people who do these things to the dogs should just get away with it? If someone can do something that despicable to a dog they are not going to bother taking a dog to rescue anyway.
  17. bajaluna

bajaluna

Name:
    Jayne
    if you helped them they wouldnt do these things to the dogs,you can sit back and moan and complain and shame them and wait for them to do something like that then you say see i told you they are bad people,you are setting them up to further your agenda and make yourself look right?????how does that help the dogs????
  18. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Back to the naming and shaming. With regards to tattooes etc.. tracing the trainer and more specifically the owner may help with finances as I have said before. Give these people a chance to help with the rehoming cost, neutering costs etc.. of the dog that was theirs, I know for a fact many dont know where their dogs go, they put faith in the trainer to rehome them. If any dog ended up in rescue and the owner had no knowledge of it, many may well be bloody annoyed! Contacting these owners will give trainers a kick up the backside too, making them effectively more responsible for the welfare of the dogs when they have retired.
  19. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    You're missing the point I think. Regardless of either's intentions, the vet was probably mad as hell, and the guy didn't give a monkeys, advertising it or not, it happened, and many others have witnessed similar things, Foolish or not, really makes no different, he did it, and was reported for it.

The vet obviously just couldnt walk away not knowing either way and had to step in, so would I in that situation.

Well said ;-)
  20. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I dont think I am missing any point at all... just a difference of opinion,

I feel for someone to openly admit to a stranger what he is about to do is "stupidity" and you believe it to be something else, arrogance maybe??....it is as simple as that... no point to it

All the rest I think we agree on;-)
  21. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    I couldnt care less what his reason for it is, stupidity, arrogance etc etc, I was just explaining that people DO do this, and you were making out that ZB was lying as no-one could possibly be this stupid, and I just pointed out that they DO ;-)