Malamute X Rottie a good breed.. General Chat

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by katchone, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    In other words to be used for breeding ? despite any temperament issues no doubt ?

Sorry but there is`nt enough money or property on the planet for anyone to be able to offer me something `I could`nt refuse` to part with any of mine, they mean more to me than any financial `reward`.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. puremagic*

puremagic* New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    My goodness what a can of worms have been opened up here !!!
    I have had Rotties for 20 years and I couldn't imagine what the temperament of a Mal X Rottie COULD be like.
    Katchone I think you have been lucky!
    I used to run a boarding kennels and believe me the most trouble I had were with X breed dogs.
    Purebreds and heinz 57 where usually no trouble at all, but a X is another thing entirely.
    There are some breeds that are suitable for X breeding but there are a lot more that are NOT and I would not advocate a Mal X Rottie as they are totally different breeds and in my opinion not compatible at all.
  4. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    So he was a rescue too, breeding from a rescue as well as an ill considered cross - just when I thought it could`nt get any worse :evil:

No, you have misread - I said if two purebreds are good enough quality to breed from they would be used, [ by an ethical breeder ], to further their own breeds lines, not being crossed with another.

I don`t agree with deliberate crossing full stop - including not to create a new breed over 20 odd years, because there are already more than enough breeds around to cater for all possible needs imo and way more dogs needing homes than are available without homes having to be found for any, [ iow most ], in a breeding program which are not suitable to create whatever their new breed may be, [ no, I do not consider culling to be acceptable, anyone creating a new breed should be prepared to ensure life time care for all the pups they produce and if they are not willing or able to do so then they have no business doing it in the first place ].

As for `reading the minds of owners`, I think I`m well on the mark on this one - unfortunately...
  5. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    whats the av size of a mal pup, I have had rott pups from 8oz up to 1lb 5oz to date,
  6. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    what breed do you think your lad most resembles when it comes to his personality traits, if your not sure why not spend time with the two breeds see which one your boy is most like then when he passes poss look into geting the breed he is more like, just a thought, could be fun too finding out is he more rott or is he more mal, or is he like himself, good luck x
  7. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Well thats a question I can't answer as I personally have never bred nor do I intend to.....I leave that to the experts..

Mo I am sure could answer that for you though...
  8. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    It should be in the book of the bitch but I cant be botherd finding it :lol:
  9. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    12 TO 22 OZ according to book of the bitch Shona:mrgreen:
  10. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    what does it say for rotties?

sorry for being a pain but what are the birth defects in mals,
    rotties I think it lists, no anus, cleft, deaf,
  11. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    there are others such as swimmers and so on, what other info on whelping is listed for mals,
  12. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    "I teach my dogs" ..................you said you've only ever had 2 :shock:

Please, if you want another dog, go to another rescue.

Not only is breeding from any crossbreed unethical and irresponsible, but breeding from such a bad combination and also breeding from a Rescue dog is VERY unethical and immoral !!

Spot on :mrgreen:

"An offer you couldnt' refuse" !!!!! :shock:

I don't think breeding any dog you have would be a good idea, as it seems clear, you are easily swayed by 'offers' !!

Exactly ;-)

Sho, my pups were 1lb 2oz - 1lb 5oz just to give you an idea :mrgreen:
  13. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    thanks malady, what the listed defects for the breed, {sorry for being a pain,,, do you have the book of the bitch,,,
  14. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I would have thought the mal puppy poss would be a tad bigger overall, but bigger diff, I think 1lb 5 oz is a a big pup for a rottie, most of my lot came in at around 1lb 1oz, ish, but I would think the mal pup would be longer,,,bigger and weight would be more, but the pup may be more stream line if you like, a rottie pup is small and chubby,, so more brick like, just a thought,,,
  15. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Congenital defects :

Rotts : Cleft Palate, No Anus, Deafness
    Mals : Dwarfism (to date, not noted in this Country though)

hope that helps hun ;)

Could you imagine a the possible problems though in these crosses if it was a planned mating, as that's not including the other hereditary problems like HD and HC etc ......scary thought !!
  16. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona

Yup I could,, would you say a mal puppy at birth has less skull than a rottie pup? so say you got a larger body, weight, and a broad head it could cause welping problems, if you do get through that then as you say the longer term problems could be bad, that and if the two worst traits from each breed came to the forefront you could have a dog who is very difficult to train, very dominant, territorial with huge guarding traits,,, omg,, nightmare,
    [​IMG]
  17. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    Weights of my first litter ranged from 527 gms to 720 gms my 2nd litter born a week prem, weighed from 368 to 467 gms. I think the first litter is probably the average for a malamute pup.

the prem pups looked like this.

[​IMG]
    my normal delivery litter looked like this

[​IMG]

Mo
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2008
  18. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    awe cute overload,, ps trust you to go for gms, lol x
  19. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Exactly :-(

Not sure if Mal pups have more skull, I've not seen Rott pups, but Mals are stocky and broad little pups, like little tanks, and I'm sure Rotts are roughly the same, I would be concerned about the whelping either way and wouldn't even like to contemplate what would happen, far too scary a thought for me !!! lol

As for the breed traits, it would be a complete gamble and you're right, imagine a dog with the strength of both the Mal and Rott (not to mention the size and stockiness it could grow to), the Stamina there too, desire to guard, impossible to train, stubborn to the core and dominant to boot :shock: My god the DEVIL himself !!!

Gorgeous pups by the way, I want to kiss them all :mrgreen:
  20. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Your pups are so stunning Mo, look at all those gorgeous bums :lol:
  21. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    my calculations make it 527grms,, = 1lb 2.6oz 720 grams = 1lb 5.8oz

so a fair weight,,, I do think they look longer than the rotties even when prem, x
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.