Bull Arab Discussions

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Discussion Thread, May 7, 2004.

1. bolty

bolty New Member

Name:
    Shane
    Hi Vicky :grin:
    Your not missing nothink ;-)
    The pics that are not in this post are these dogs ;-)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. juliekelham

juliekelham

Name:
    julie
    stunning looking dogs
  4. minky

minky New Member

Name:
    Jules
    where's the pics???? :? :?
  5. Anne

Anne Global Moderator

Name:
    Anne
    The posters deleted them from their photobucket album, so they disappear here too :-(
  6. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Annestaff is there any need for this thread then? I have read it and am still wondering what we are talking about. If there really is such a beast perhaps someone else will let us have some photos of them.

LOL just done a search for the breed and the only reference seems to be this thread, is someone pulling our leg do you think?
  7. Anne

Anne Global Moderator

Name:
    Anne
    LOL see what you mean :lol:
  8. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    here is a pic of one since the others have been removed

edited : will try and find another :?
  9. Anne

Anne Global Moderator

Name:
    Anne
    I cann't see it Carole :?

I went and found one too.............

[​IMG]

well I hope it is, going to look pretty silly if it isn't :lol:
  10. minky

minky New Member

Name:
    Jules
    nice looking doglet
  11. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Look like another staffy cross where can I see more photos so I can assess breed type and why is it not recorded anywhere?
  12. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole

so I think there is no type as such they vary a lot in size etc..
  13. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Thanks Carol, at one time it would have been called a bull cross and I would have understood but these days dogs always have to be given some sort of strange name, don't know why, perhaps to aid their sale perhaps to add street credo who knows but it is confusing. In the days when people said they had a mastiff/greyhound cross one understood I even know what a lurcher and a JR are but some of the crosses are given names but they seem to be given different names for the same crosses.
  14. Kellby

Kellby New Member

Hi peoples have done a lot of research on bull arabs and there is some info, not alot though, available on the net here is the link to a google search page that has links to bits and pieces including some photos:
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=Bull arab&meta=

From what I have been able to find out the "breed" originated here in sunny Queensland Australia as a pig hunting dog. As it does not breed true, requires constant out crossing and there is no definitive lineage or "look", as such it has never been able to be registered as a breed.

Bull Arabs are bred according to need I guess you could say but the basic dog is usually a cross between bull terrier, greyhound and german shorthaired pointer. Other breeds are then put into the mix according to wether a strength or agility is required. Usual additions include mastiff's, stag or wolf hound, pit bull, plus crossing back to the original three breeds. Ours also has Dalmation in her according to our vet.

Hope that is helpful. cheers Kellby
    :grin:
  15. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    They do all look different don't they, think that is what puzzles me why give such different looking dogs a genetic name. With Lurchers and JR the name tells you what sort of work they do not what they look like, well it does me but if some one says to me I have a Bull Arab I would have very little idea of what their dog looked like. I note you say they are used for hunting, what sort of hunting?
  16. Kellby

Kellby New Member

They are mostly used for pig hunting is my understanding. Although ours will see a pig in that context over my dead body! Legend has it that the actual name Bull Arab came about by accident when the first person to advertise this type of pup forsale, from memory he supposedly had a Doberman called Arab and a Bull Terrier called Bull, made a mistake in putting the add together. So the story goes he had such a response to the ad with people wanting to knpow and own one of these new Bull Arabs that he got together with some mates and perfected the mix and so the "breed' was born.

Don't know how true that is though.
  17. Shadowboxer

Shadowboxer Fondly Remembered

Name:
    SB
    Thordell, they are very common xbreeds/mongrels of a particular type (strong, fast, brave, agile), known as pig dogs in Australia (Bull arab is just a fancy label). Try searching Google for "Bull arab" - lots of information and pictures - probably more than you need/want to know :?
  18. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Looked on Google UK and got nothing, did not occur to me that the cross was popular somewhere else, no idea why, just never hear of them and as we no longer have wild pigs we have no need of their service. Do wonder if now coursing is no longer legal we will loose the Lurcher as we now know them.

Thanks for the information, being a nosey type I like to know ;-)
  19. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2006
  20. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    another not sure why u didnt find anything i found loads

[mod edit:no links to forums or unsuitable photographs]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2006