Boxer lunging at fish tank Behaviour

Discussion in 'Boxer' started by matthew&claire, Dec 29, 2007.

1. matthew&claire

matthew&claire New Member

Name:
    MATTHEW

Boxer lunging at fish tank

help!i have a two 14 month old boxers.ive just had a fish tank given to me with a large fish.one dog has a problem with the tank.when ever he spots the big fish he dives over the sofa squares up to the fish.he takes a few steps back and launches into the tank,which then hits the wall and rocks back and forth:x .ive shouted at him,chucked him out of the room,bottle with stones in nothing working.any ideas.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    I would arm yourself with some really tasty treats and put him on the lead.

start a bit away from the tank and make him focus his attention on you, then give him the treats. Gradually get nearer the tank. If he lunges at the tank, say no - get him to sit then treat him.

It could take a bit of time to get him totally used to it and it isn't something you should try and rush - just short regular sessions. In the meantime, I would suggest covering it with a cloth when you are not doing a training session with him.
  4. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    I agree its a matter of diverting his attention with postive things, when you see the warning signs of him diving for the tank call him and offer a treat, or offer his ball or toy, i applaud you for taking on two pups of the same age not many people would aggree its the right thing to do.:p
  5. matthew&claire

matthew&claire New Member

Name:
    MATTHEW
    we do all that.he can be fast asleep on the floor and if the big fish comes out he wakes up and darts at the tank.its only when that one fish comes out from behind a rock.ill cover it up for a day or two.
  6. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    I would flush him down the loo:blush: :lol: (fish not boxer) yep covering up the tank is a short term idea but not ideal, is there a place you can put the tank were he cant see it xxzbxx:p
  7. Brundog

Brundog New Member

Name:
    Dani
    you would have a real hard time flushing a boxer down the loo "!!! - pmsl when i read thsat first line !!

personally i woudl get rid of the fish but thats cos i dont like them !!

diverting his attention and perhaps praising good behaviour is the best option....
  8. kristian

kristian New Member

Name:
    titch
    i would give the fish and tank to a friend otherwise your going to end up with a flooded living room:roll:
    i'll pick it up monday rofl:lol:
  9. ColinBarwater

ColinBarwater New Member

Name:
    Colin
    LOL Kristian, good reply!

Can't the fish live in their tank in a different room? Somewhere that the boxers don't spend much of their time.

Otherwise, I agree with the other comments, you need a sustained period of training the boxers to leave the tank alone. A combination of training and encouragement, combined with stern warnings on other occasions.

I can't imagine why you would want boring fish when you have two boxers in your life!