Hip Scoring??? (GSD) Health

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Sal, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally

Hip Scoring??? (GSD)

Ok,
    I'm researching the GSD Breed with a view to getting a new puppy next year.
    Now I'm struggling with Hip scoing,I don't kmow what good score is,an average one or a high one.
    Could somebody explain this for me please as I'm getting very confused :roll: :blush:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Sweep

Sweep New Member

Name:
    Sheena
    Lots of info on here
    http://www.gsdhelpline.com/
  4. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
  5. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    When looking for a puppy the scores"ideally"should be as low as possible & even as well. The stud dog should be producing scores lower than the bitch(& himself if he isn't 0:0=0)

Also the pedigree should show a minimum of three generations of good hip scores, I personally would not buy a puppy that didn't have a five generation pedigree of low scoring dogs & bitches(my next puppy will be from Germany where hip x raying is mandatory)
  6. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Thanks for explaining it really got me confused,not hard to do by all accounts.;-)
  7. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    If you go to the BVA site here this gives you all the mean scores as of 01/01/06 for all breeds.
    Becky
  8. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    The breed average is a few points under 19, I wouldnt recommend that the stud dog is over 10, with the bitch some breed with scores upto 24. You need to look at the scores for sibblings of sire/dam aswell as what is behind the pedigree and also if they have been bred before look at the progeny scores. Although even then there is no guarentee, I know of one mating banned by the SV both dog and bitch had produced progeny with good scores to other mates but when bred together the results were terrible.