Whats the difference(s)? Questions

Discussion in 'Terrier Forum' started by alexandra, May 3, 2007.

1. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex

Whats the difference(s)?

Sorry if i sound dumb

But what are the differences between
    Jack russell terrier
    and
    Parson russell terrier???

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Alex
    xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toby

Toby New Member

Name:
    Janet
    Jark Russell Terriers are the short legged ones.

Parson Russells are the long legged ones, Toby is one, also SJpurt and Jackpacek have them. They were originally bred by a Reverend called Jack Russell, hence the name. The long legged are the originals,used for hunting and rat catching i think, but the shorter legged ones came about by breeding from the shorter long legged ones (does that make sense:? ) as people wanted them for rabbiting etc and they would be able to go down the holes. It would seem that the Jack Russells are more popular these days as a lot of people have not heard of Parsons. Infact I've even been asked if Toby is a mini Staffie, mind he is quite chunky if you compare him to the other Parsons on Dogsey.

Hope that helps :grin:
  4. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Actually many small terriers are called Jack Russells and aren't especially if they are black and tan. Usually any small terrier that is predominately white is called a Jack Russell but the Rev John Russell's breed he created was a long legged terrier not a short legged one.
    Becky
  5. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    thanks guys....

i think i actually prefer parsond to jacks actually now i know which one is which!!

(going back to stand in the corner with my dunces hat on!)

Alex
    xx
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Working Russells are not Parsons (the majority) but have longer legs, they are just Jack Russells, the parson is the kc recognised breed, the others are not.
    Dawn.
  7. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    ok now im confused:shock:

how would i tell the difference form a kc registered parson and a jack russell with longer legs....?

Alex
    xx
  8. Hewey

Hewey New Member

You'd ask the owner :grin:
  9. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    I was waiting for someone to say that either that ore check the papers!!:roll:

I mean phsically how would i tell the differences?

Alex
    xx
  10. Hewey

Hewey New Member

I think like Dawn says some working Russels are physically similar to the Parsons but they are from lines not registered and that is the only difference.
  11. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    In reality they are identical. My Parsons came from very well known jack russell kennels, it's just a matter of registered or unregistered although differences are now starting to emerge (as per usual) as Parsons are now show dogs and not the working terriers they used to be. Very few parson kennels work their dogs these days. I believe there was/is an issue with dogs registered as jack russells being allowed onto the Parson Breed register.
    Becky
  12. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    ok thanks for clearing that up for me!

Alex
    xx
  13. sjpurt

sjpurt New Member

Name:
    sam
    hi there i have got 3 parson russells and 2 jack russells if you look at the pic i have put up see if you can tell which is which.

[​IMG]

i will tell you after if you are correct.

just a bit of fun
  14. sjpurt

sjpurt New Member

Name:
    sam
    also to tell the diffrence between jacks and parsons to look at when out the jack has a very small tail, the parsons tail is longer. which will not help you from this april as all of them with have long tails...

jacks are normaly quite small in hight where the parsons look taller and they hold there tails up where jacks cant if they have been docked.

will try and get pics of mine to show the diffrence hun hope that helps a bit.
  15. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    ok im guessing the three back ones are parsons and the two front ones are jacks????

AM i right???

or hoplesssly wrong?

Alex
    xx
  16. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Think Mahooli got it right.

Parsons you will find in a book that lists recognised dog breeds whilst Jack Russels, you won't as PT's are a recognised breed but JR's aren't.

As for the difference - they differ in the same way working Springers (that are that way for a reason) differ in build to show Springers that conform to the 'standard'.
  17. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    so would you say parsons are a little less work driven than jacks..?
  18. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    NO!
    All of mine went hunting and I used to have to carry a shovel in my car just in case I had to dig them out!
    Becky
  19. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    not at all :shock:
  20. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    blimey....

do they like to catch and kill rabbits?
    Alex
    xx
  21. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Oh yes, and foxes, badgers, cats anything that moved really. I'm pretty certain they would have tackled a deer if ever they'd found one.
    Becky