Four amnesty dogs die in kennels General Chat

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by kathy40uk, Mar 17, 2007.

1. kathy40uk

kathy40uk New Member

Name:
    Kathy

Four amnesty dogs die in kennels

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    What a terrible way to go. So much for humane treatment. :( those poor dogs. They didn't deserve this.
  4. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Whilst this is an absolute tradegy, and the courts haven't yet decided whether these dogs were of a 'banned type' I fail to see where the 'inhumane' treatment was. They died of a virus in the kennels, now if it was parvo then you have to ask why dogs, which I assume had been vaccinated at some stage in their lives, succumbed.
    Becky
  5. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    It would take several days for a full adult pit bull type dog to succumb to parvo. Did they not seek treatment at all for these guys or they just let them suffer in their pens. :(
  6. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    very sad.:cry:

Mo
  7. Stamford

Stamford New Member

Name:
    Steve
    They didn't deserve that did they.Very sad.

Run free from persecution now.
  8. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    very sad, poor dogs feel for them, they should have been checked on, parvo does not kill a dog instantly
  9. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    No, parvo doesn't kill a dog instantly, it kills them very slowly and very painfully. It is a killer disease, so even with vet treatment, the dogs can and do, often die. This is really really tragic, but how do we even know if the dogs had been vaccinated???? I think it is unfair to assume that the dogs had just ben left in their kennels dying of parvo...thats highly unlikely.
    Run free dogs...
  10. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Just read the article and there is nothing in it to suggest the dogs didn't get good treatment for the parvo, infact it clearly states 2 more have it and are being treated...
  11. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Yes I think some people are letting their 'dislike' of the amnesty get in the way of common sense.
    Becky
  12. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Whose to say the dogs did not already have Parvo before being taken into kennels?
  13. Sara1210

Sara1210 New Member

Name:
    Sara
    How awful :-(
  14. bullterrier

bullterrier New Member

Name:
    Stefan
    Surely there should have been vetinary checks before these dogs were accepted into the kennels. Can`t believe that they all had parvo before going into the kennels, is it contagious between dogs ? I`ve a feeling that if any checks were done that they were very rudimentary, especially with the amount of dogs that have been impounded recently.
    The polices response is pathetic as well, reading their brief to the press, it sounded like, "well it doesn`t matter they were probably a danger to the public, but we didn`t have chance to find out". Thats what it sounded like to me.
    Can`t help but feel a little bit cynical.
    Rant over.
  15. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Surely the dogs would have been vaccinated for Parvo before being taken into kennels, I believe most have this as a standard practice. Not going to help the dogs though is it if they had already contracted the disease.

Parvo is spread through faeces of other dogs, it can also spread from shoes and clothing and from the pads of other dogs and their coats. I would have thought police kennels would have been the safest place in the world to be for a dog, because of the Police forces own dogs.
  16. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    There is every chance oneof the dogs brought the parvo in or that it was brought in form a contaminated area.
    The last thing the police would want is these dogs dying in custody...yes, every dog should be routinely vaccinated against parvo...but not all are...
  17. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    I'm sorry. I just will not buy the proper care given argument.

Four adult dogs dead of parvo.

I worked in veterniary medicine for 7 years and we maybe lost four dogs all year long to parvo, and they were usually small puppies who dehydrated faster than we could rehydrate them.

With proper treatment parvo is not a death sentence. Certainly not for an adult dog. Vaccine or no vaccine. I could see maybe losing one, and the others recovering, but to lose four dogs to Parvo sounds alarm bells in my mind.
  18. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Well I don't think we should judge the kennels just on the basis of a statement in a newspaper. Youhave to question why 4, supposedly mature and well cared for dogs have died of a preventable disease. Maybe they weren't so well cared by their owners after all because very few healthy vaccinated adult dogs die from parvo.
    Becky
  19. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    How? its not a dislike as in i dont like choc milkshake but i do like strawberry milkshake, these are poor innoccent dogs life and if it upset people (weather they own bull breeds or not) then it is because those dogs suffered and maybe if they where with there owners then it may have been picked up and they would have not suffered and died. I doubt for a single min someone is there for every single min of the day i doubt very much of the day. So becky we do have common sense so please try not to be so rude.
  20. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Completely agree, well put!! :)
  21. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Even owners can't be there every single minute of the day, and they don't seem like very caring people to me, if they had been vaccinated they wouldn't have died, simple.
    Everytime I have to put one of mine into kennels (which isn't that often) I have to show their vaccination cards as proof of what they are covered for, if those are not up to date, my dogs don't get boarded.