pit bull type? BSL

Discussion in 'American Pit Bull Terrier' started by SBT, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biff

Biff

Nicci L

Good on you.

Shame to hear about the pain you've been through. As I've said in other posts I used to have a Kerry Blue (Gazza) at my parents house. Next door had a springer spaniel (Bruno) and they were like fierce enemies, for 13 years Gazza sprinted up and down the yard looking for a way to get to Bruno through the fence, he never found one. As a result Bruno was not fond of me, he would growl if I was in there house, and just thought I was on Gazza's side so I was the enemy. Lovely dog though, and so are the others I have met. However under hectorsmum's logic they'd be banned, shame she feels that way, for her that is.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I met a 4 month old staffie pup with a young girl and her mum in the pet shop just before. They had rehomed it form the RSPCA and it had come home with them yesterday. Mum was asking the very knowledgable pet shop owner about food and vets etc. Meanwhile this thing attacked me...it had my scarf, it grrrrrrrrrd at my scarf, it refused to move away from me and it made me tickle it. Truly. It made me...it wagged it's little tail and put it's little ears back and made me tickle it and play with it and it was just absolutely adorable and this girl was totally smitten ( and thanked me a lot when I got the lead out of it's mouth for her!!!!!!) Bless. This was not a vicious or dangerous dog. This was a happy little puppy that is going to have a nice and happy life with this family. Bless. In the wrong hands, it like any other dog, could be vicious, but I suspect it won't be.
    Thing is, given all the stuff going on at the moment, I was a little sad... just incase, at some point in the future..anyone accuses it of being a 'type'.... sad the thought even entered my head as it really was a lovely little thing.
  4. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Identification of types of specially controlled dogs
    27. The pit bull terrier is the most common of the four types of controlled dog. It is
    currently estimated that there are about 10,000 in the UK and a detailed description of
    the type was sent to Chief Officers on 26 July. The posters sent to all force headquarters
    on 2 August give a further indication of the typical size and range of colouring of pit bull
    terriers. However, it is recognised that identification of pit bull terriers is not
    straightforward and it may be most easily confused with the Staffordshire bull terrier,
    which is smaller.
    28. The evidence that a dog is not a specially controlled type of dog might be a
    certificate from a veterinary surgeon to that effect; pedigree papers from, for instance,
    the Kennel Club; or evidence from the breeder from whom the dog was originally
    obtained and who may be able to provide further information about its pedigree.
    29. The difficulty in identifying pit bull terriers is recognised by section 5(5) of the
    Act which reverses the burden of proof so that, instead of the prosecution having to
    show that the dog is a pit bull terrier, the accused has to show that his dog is not a pit
    bull terrier. This means that if someone seeks to claim, for instance, that they have a
    cross-breed of a pit bull terrier which is nevertheless very similar to a normal pit bull
    terrier, they must be advised that it is up to them to prove that the dog is not actually a
    pit bull terrier.

This is the text from the DDA concerning identification. From what I remember you have said before you have as much information that you can provide.
    Can I make another suggestion. How about registering your dog on the KC activities register. That way it'll be a staffy cross on the papers?
    Becky
  5. griff

griff New Member

what is the kc activities register?? and what is involved to register a dog?? both of mine had dna tests bought through the kc website to prove ownership incase they are stolen,would that help me??
    i have just looked at the kc site and my dna profile for both dogs will only prove they belong to me as i don't know either of their history.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2007
  6. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    You can register any dog on the activities register including is parentage so if, say a cross breed, of 2 KC reg dogs you can put this on. If your dogs are DNA profiled then that is a big help too. Really anything you can do the better.
    http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/378/form5.pdf
    Thats the form.
    Becky
  7. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley

Fantastic post :grin:
    Becky from the pic there is more lab that stafford in it
    BSL is just BS and alot of dogs WILL DIE for no reason what so ever
  8. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I know but the law is the law and the DDA, wrongly, states that anything of a pit bull type is illegal. That is also sadly open to interpretation but I am hoping this time around they wont be so over zealous. I don't think the RSPCA will be as involved as they were last time around they caused a lot of bad feeling then.
    Becky
  9. SBT

SBT New Member

Name:
    SBT
  10. SBT

SBT New Member

Name:
    SBT
  11. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    It says link not showing, but by the url I can see what has happened, poor lad. :(
  12. kristian

kristian New Member

Name:
    titch
    some of them comments at the bottom of the page on that link really wound me up :x had to stop reading them! why are some people so narrow minded?:shock:
  13. Katie23

Katie23 New Member

Name:
    a real soft ddog yet it goes out in a muzzle?!!!!!!!

seriously come on:?
  14. kristian

kristian New Member

Name:
    titch
    please don't start me/us off:x
  15. Katie23

Katie23 New Member

Name:
    i havent read the other pages - but that my opinion

ANY type of dog - not this breed

but at the end of the day IF it is a pitbull/pitbull type - then its a banned breed at the end of the day

although i do agree with the punish the deed not the breed - there banned at the end of the day and the laws the law
  16. kristian

kristian New Member

Name:
    titch
    :? muzzled!!!! don't you see:neutral: prevention is better than cure!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    The trouble is the word Type is open to interpretation,there is no defination in any of the legislation on what TYPE is??
    As far as i can see no dog derseves to lose it's life because of what it looks like,there are many dogs out there that could fit Type.
  18. Katie23

Katie23 New Member

Name:
    if it was proved to be a pitbull then im sorry but the law is the law

i just dont get how a 'soft' dog had to be muzzled when out!!
  19. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    We have no test at present in the uk to dertime whether or not it is pitbull or pitbull type,they just go on a description which alot of dogs fall under,experts have probably NEVER even seen a pitbull.
    A dog wearing a muzzle to me does not inicate a dangerous dog.It tells me that the owner is been responsible.
  20. Katie23

Katie23 New Member

Name:
    my dog can be described as soft - then should i put a muzzle on him??

im not starting an argument here just making apoint

i dont see why people should evade the law - and poor inocent little kids like ellie lawrenson suffer

not saying its apitbull - but i just dont understand this woman
  21. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Surely it is the owners choice as to whether or not to muzzle her dog,
    Any dog can bite any dog can kill,simple you can't legislate against certain breeds,it doesn't work.What makes one breed more dangerous than another?
    More children are killed by cars every year than by dog attacks,should we ban all cars off the road??
    Do we focus on the car or the driver,see my point?
    We need to focus on poor iresponsible owners not the BREED!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.