Do you think they will extend the DDA? BSL

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Adele4dan, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Adele4dan

Adele4dan New Member

Name:
    Adele

Do you think they will extend the DDA?

Do you think the DDA will be extended to cover Staffordshire Bull Terriers?
    What will it mean for the breed if they do?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    NO they wouldn't dare because it would affect far too many people, and those people are VOTERS!
    Becky
  4. Sara1210

Sara1210 New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Im not too sure :?

If they did, would it mean muzzling them in public and never letting them off lead, or would there be more to it than that? :-(
  5. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    i hope not, china stays on lead anyway as she goes deaf off lead!

but people vote and there are a lot of staffy owners out there........
  6. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    And Labour wants to get in next term (not that they ever got my vote).
    Becky
  7. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
  8. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    I don't think they will extend the DDA to Staffordshire Bull Terriers - But I have a very bad feeling the DDA could well be ammended yet again to cover breeds in the UK that have no 'real or official' recognition...
  9. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Could it be amended to say some dogs must be muzzled when out but not to actually ban the breed???
    I just wondered if that was a path the government may follow. It was a worrying thought.
  10. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Can't see that happening either, if they are going to extend the DDA to include other breeds it's as I say going to be the ones frequently used amongst dogfighters that have no official recognition...That means we could loose the AB, Presa, Corso and quite possibly Irish Stafford...:-(
  11. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    [​IMG]

Taken from the dda literature as to what other dogs may be affected and why. Not very comforting.
  12. Kanikula

Kanikula New Member

Name:
    Sam

Not that im gonna be voting Labour!!
  13. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Me Neither!
    Becky
  14. tillytails

tillytails New Member

Name:
    Diane
    The DDA was a law bought in by a Conservative government in 1991. When Labour came to power in 1997 they amended it so the mandatory destruction of prohibited dogs was removed and instead each case has to be decided on it's own merits by a court.

Lord Baker (Conservative peer and the one who was behind the original DDA in 1991 when he was just Kenneth Baker MP) is the only person I've heard calling for the DDA to be extended to other breeds. He wants to see Dobies, Rotties and GSDs on the list and all dogs to be muzzled in public.

Not saying Labour are perfect :)shock: heaven's No), just thought I'd express my point of view that their main alternative is arguably less dog-friendly ;-)
  15. Saz

Saz New Member

I can't see it happening in my life time
  16. sky_high_bluest

sky_high_bluest New Member

Name:
    dave
    the dda, like the fool who thought it up, is a joke! all these "pit bull types" all where derived from the KC staffy! so how can the foundation breed for the so called "pit bull type" not be included? well as stated above thay are owned by lots and lots of voters! plain and simple! the goverment have to bring back a real dog licence!
  17. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I have to say, after the last few days, I am now beginining to think they may extend the DDA even temporarily,until another, more adequate law is in force. Perhaps, more worryingly, they may be more strict about enforcing the DDA and about what covers and constitutes a 'pit bull type'. Another 14 dogs were seized in an industrial estate in Liverpool yesterday. It seems to be going from bad to worse.
  18. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    It said on the BBC news yesterday that many of the dogs seized bore the scars of dog fights :x :-( Training equipment treadmills/weight pulls used to train the dogs and to build muscle was seized too :x At least one of the dogs had cropped ears.

Poor dogs, what a miserable existence being kept in a cage then brought out to fight. I guess they will all have to be put to sleep which is I suppose preferable to being torn to pieces and unable to seek the help of a vet.

I can't imagine how anyone could stand to see dogs fight :-( they can't have any love for dogs at all.

I don't know about extending the DDA but from various conversations I have heard on the radio I can see the possibility of some breeds having to be muzzled in public :-( .
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2007
  19. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Apparently some 40 dogs have been seized now, so it makes you wonder how the police 'suddenly' know where all the fighting dogs are.
    Becky
  20. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    It said on the news that members of the public were reporting where the dogs were being kept.
  21. zero

zero New Member

I hated seeing those poor dogs on the news in the crates :( I'm just getting sick of hearing it.

and I really hope they don't start making certain breeds muzzled out in public, for alot of dogs that could really affect them. My boy is a good dog but hates the restriction of head collars etc I can only imagine if he had to be muzzled for no reason what that would do to him.

It feels as though things are getting to be near on hysteria and I'm just staying away from hearing so much about it...I know what's going on and that's all I need to know but it's like everything which becomes the hot topic is just over talked about until it makes a big panic out of the whole situation.

Like with everything that happens to do with dogs I will just try even harder to have well behaved dogs.