Bandog Discussions

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. deedee

deedee New Member

The Bandogge, or Bandog if you prefer, is not a purebred dog in the way we know the word purebred. The words Bandogge and Bandog are being used on dogs of mixed Molosser ancestry, most often with Pit Bull as one of parent components.

The name Bandog, or Bandogge, comes from the old Saxon word "banda", the Saxon word for chain. It was used on watchdogs chained at day and released at night, to carry out its watching and garding duties. It is quite obvious that the name was used on any chained watchdog, Mastiffs, Bulldogs and dogs of mixed ancestry, but it is also certain that these chained dogs must have been of a recognisable watchdog type, which eliminates all dogs which was not of more or less Molosser blood.

This means that any Molosser cross of today could rightfully be called a Bandog.

its amazing what you can find on the web :grin: im sure the info above will put your minds at rest.........
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Barbara

Barbara New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I have compiled all the best info. I could find on Bandogs and made it into a blog:

http://bandogmastiffs.blogspot.com/

Here's some recent pics of my dogs

Savannah (Neo x Performance Ab)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tigger (probably an EM cross)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. Trixy

Trixy

Name:
    Jasmine
    Gorgeous xx
  5. puli jw

puli jw New Member

Name:
    mica
    hey i love these babies n fat mamf, tonka is beautiful i love the cane corsos to. does any one no where in england i can get a bandog please it would be great preferably near london thanx
  6. teenytiny

teenytiny New Member

Name:
    *sammy*
  7. ragga_dood

ragga_dood New Member

Name:
    Ragga_dood
    My Fave Bandogs, Neo x APBT,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a dog called Swinfords Bantu, u will have to look for pics of him yourself

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
  8. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch

Not being purebreds therefore not eligible for `legitimate` Showing, I can only think of two reasons for Bandogs in the US to have deliberately mutilated, [ cropped ], ears - to look `tough` :smt078 or to actually fight :smt091 :cry:
  9. ragga_dood

ragga_dood New Member

Name:
    Ragga_dood
    So if they were a purebred suitable for legitimate showing, then ear cropping would be ok would it? You forgot to mention another reason for ear cropping, apart from "looking tough" or "fighting", as you say, purely cosmetic reasons, to accentuate the head, as has been done with many other breeds that you would not associate with "fighting", boxers, doberman, great danes, Cane Corso etc. Whether you agree/ disagree with ear cropping is your opinion and has been debated on this forum before. I think the dogs look awesome, cropped ears or not!
  10. ragga_dood

ragga_dood New Member

Name:
    Ragga_dood
    Just found a very interesting website about bandogs and their history, also some lovely Neo dogs pictured, for those that are interested,

http://bandogmastiffs.blogspot.com/
  11. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Absolutely no it would not be ok as far as I`m concerned, I think its a vile practice. I meant that in the US they mutilate the ears of many breeds for Showing and that Bandogs cant be shown in formal pedigree Breed Shows so why wreck their ears as well...

Does`nt accentuate it in a nice way in my book, I think it looks hideous and ruins a dogs look. A Judge should know whether conformation is `correct` or not without bits being cut off for them to see it differently.

I`m not saying they are not great dogs, just that whats been done to the ears on those pictured, and others which have had this thing done to them, completely ruins their otherwise amazing appearance and detracts from it horribly.

A dogs good health in conformation, build, muscle, coat etc should be what matters physically, not a cosmetic nightmare making them look like a nasty caracature which outwardly hides the nicest of temperaments which any such mutilated dog of any breed often has. It can elicit fearful, even strongly negative, reactions from those who automatically think its an aggressive dog because of what its been made to look like, and that sort of thing can even cause nice dogs to gradually become aggressive and we know what usually happens to them over there, [ where this hideous thing is done ], at that point....
  12. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    See post #62... that's Barbaras Blog ;)
  13. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    i like the dogs you pictured ragga dood, think without cropped ears the dog would look better, but i can see past the ears and notice a great looking animal

Personally id never get any dog cropped, but imo its no different to show people who glue ears and make them where head collars when they are pups
    Its all cosmetic and there is no real reason for it
  14. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Thankfully there`s no `personally` about it in UK as cropping is illegal.
    I`m not a fan of gluing ears either because I see no need to change a dog for the sake of a cosmetic aspect, but at least it does`nt mean the horrible pain of cropping.
    I dont know quite how a headcollar would or could be used cosmetically, can you explain the application of that ?
  15. danimal

danimal New Member

Name:
    dan
    whats glueing ears mean?
  16. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Some people use head cones for pups to aid the 'correct growth' of the ears, dont think its common but have seen breeders do it!
  17. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    If a dog is going to be shown and breed standard specifies a certain ear tip, some owners use what amounts to blue tack to encourage the ears not to just stand up or to not tip over too far up or down.
    Its not painful at all and is non-invasive, so I`ve no major qualms about that, I just prefer a dogs ears to be however they were meant to be naturally for each dog :smt001
  18. mjrolfe

mjrolfe New Member

Name:
    mjrolfe
    The True Bandog Is 75% Neapolitan Mastiff And 25% American Pitbull And U Get This Only By Having A Pure Breed Neapolitan Mastiff Bitch And Then Crossing Her With A Male American Pitbull X Neapolitan Mastiff. I Breed Them They Are The Best Dogs U Can Get. I Charge A $1000 Each For My Puppies They All Come Out Grey In Colour Everytime.
  19. mjrolfe

mjrolfe New Member

Name:
    mjrolfe
    A Bandog Is A Pure Breed Neapolitan Mastiff Bitch Cross A Pure Breed Neapolitan Mastiff Cross A Pure Breed American Pitbull Male. Which A True Bandog Is 75% Neapolitan Mastiff And The Other 25% Is Pure Breed American Pitbull. I Know I Breed Them
  20. Muangole

Muangole New Member

Name:
    Mauro
    Hi all,

rgds
  21. Kdpeters80

Kdpeters80 New Member

Name:
    Korey
    A bandog is a mix of any BULLY Breed with ANY Mastiff breed. Here are my American Bulldog
    and my Neo female. I just got their pups registered with the NKC as Ambullneo Mastiff which are types of Bandogs.
    The original bandog was formed using a pit and an ENGLISH Mastiff, they r called a Swinford Bandog
    .[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2010