Utonagans and Northern Inuits ????? Purpose ! Discussions

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by Malady, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Ah - so that's your beef. Sounds familiar somehow ...

You should have just come out and said this in your original post instead of apparently wanting to talk about health and purpose. :mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    I have made my mind up about messing with breeds, yes, but that has nothing to do with a dog itself. And no need really for the rolling eyes.

I just feel lots of people are justifying this breed by saying what a fantastic temperament it has, yet I and many others have seen different, and how can you ever be assured of any temperament when you have used 5/6 different breeds with not great traits to create it ?

It's exhaustive really. Anyone who has done any research on genetics or hereditary aspects would understand the forseeable problems.

:?
  4. zero

zero New Member

Temperament and looks combined. Temperament is most important to me but I have to like how the dog looks too :lol: I have the right combination for me personally in the NI, thanks :D
  5. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    The statement I made was not on my mind when I first posted. My original post was genuine and am still questioning purpose and health issues, if you have been reading the entire thread. THAT is my interest and would still like to know certain things. I have an interest in 'dogs' in general, and as this is a new breed, would like to know more.

Don't judge me on one comment.
  6. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Not being picky at all, and a bit OT but what rolling eyes? I saw the LOL icon, unless my eyesight is going as it's so late. :mrgreen:
  7. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    these rolling eyes
  8. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

:smt042 But wasn't this the post you were quoting from?
  9. zero

zero New Member

Sorry about the rolling eyes as equally I am sure you are sorry about the 'robot' comment.

How many others have seen different regarding temperament?...Zoundz met a couple and you did?...not exactly a great insight into the entire breed. I can't speak for the up bringing and socialization of those dogs no one can. Just as you say, good and bad in all breeds.

I guess you can be sure of the temperament as much you can with any breed, you listen to what the general character of the breed decide if they are for you and go from there.

Could you please state what you feel are the foreseeable problems with the temperament of the breed with your history in genetics. After 18 to 20yrs of selective breeding do you not feel the temperament of the dogs is well enough known at this point? Or in your experience are we in for a big surprise?
  10. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Glad you found some humour. Thought you said you were'nt being picky !
  11. zero

zero New Member

:lol: :lol: blimey it comes to something when we have to nitpick what emoticon are being used.

I rolled my eyes at your comment about having a 'robot' instead of my dogs. Big deal :lol: Take it on the chin!
  12. zero

zero New Member

Does anyone have a banging head against the wall emote by the way??
  13. Zoundz

Zoundz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    :smt102 :smt062 :smt075 :smt021 :smt058 :smt023

think that's about it! ;)

xx

eta - much much love for this guy! :D

:smt075
  14. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

:shock: The very idea! (It took more than one ) - see; SOH intact :smt040.

Isn't anyone else too tired for all this? :lol:
  15. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Thats you opinion, one you are entitled to....

I owned and loved many KC Bulldogs before my 'new' breed came along and I still love the breed, just call it being converted :lol:
    I felt passionate enough to realise once upon a time that the breed as whole was starting suffer, may not be the opinion of many, just mine. I don't think the creation of new breeds is such a bad thing (shoot me down) IF theres a real purpose in mind, or to improve on health.

I don't agree with people purposely crossing breeds to create a certain look - But in the Ute's and NI's cases they have been around as long as my own breed so nothing that new about them really to those that already own and love them :)
  16. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Selective breeding for 20 years is nothing compared to many breeds that have been selective breeding for over 100, that still have many problems with temperament.

I guess these dogs were bred for a look but without the wild temperament of the dog they are supposed to look like (if you follow that !) If THAT is the main purpose of this dog, then that is one of my questions answered, but no-one has come out and specifically said that in a way that is convincing of their research or experience they have within the breed. Any lay person can say my dog is perfect therefore it's breed is perfect (if you see what I mean) I don't think a breed this young can be guaranteeing such achievements just yet as temperament, as I don't agree that many breeders of KC reg breeds can guarantee this either with the dogs they use. In fact I don't think that this can ever be guaranteed, unless you breed from 2 absolute bombproof dogs, and the same goes for at least 6 generations, which it never does. There is always the odd hiccup.

I think the other guarantees, being a loyal pet and leash free are also misleading and as individuality plays a huge part too, I think maybe the people promoting this breed are jumping the gun a bit and as with any breed that tries to run before it can walk, there are always comebacks that can ruin the reputation so easily.
  17. Zoundz

Zoundz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    **is falling asleep**

i need sleep - but if i leave the computer you'll all say lots of things and i'll get bogged down reading it all again! :lol: so i am determined to be the last to go to bed... and the first to get up!

... well maybe not the first to get up ;) :lol:

xx
  18. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    I was answering someone else who insisted on knwoing where the rolling eyes were and what post I was answering too :? .

I did take it on the chin !
  19. zero

zero New Member

Quite right, so if we are not having hardly any problem with temperament at this point then surely that is a really good brownie point for the NI / Ute's is it not?...

Off topic but I am going to say it. You wonder why people appear less than welcoming to you in some of there replies at times. Perhaps you could look at how some of your posts are worded.

I try to never get rattled in discussions like these, it does no one any favours but you do seem to like pushing buttons.

There is no guarantee with any breed as to what anyone gets but surely that is why people talk about breeds in general terms and discuss the temperament as a whole so that people can make up their own minds if the overall characteristics are for them...

Or we may as well all stick a load of breeds names on paper in a hat and pick out what will be the dog for us at random.

No one has ever said that all NI / Ute fit the description 100% or your money back. There are never any guarantees in life but if you have a general rule to go by and with the NI and Ute you do then you go from there.

There are always exceptions to the rule but going by what is a generalization for the breed you get a good idea as to what you are getting and if they are for you...nothing wrong there.

I never once said my dogs were perfect I especially didn't say they were perfect for everyone.
  20. zero

zero New Member

right :grin: lets leave my rolling eyes and move on...lol
  21. zero

zero New Member

lol...that's how I feel sometimes, I know when I get involved it is gonna turn into a real chor...I actually weigh up the odds before opening my mouth sometimes...lol...Have I got the time...Do I really want to think about this all day...

lol

ETA: taking my rolling eyes off to bed now as they will be rolling to the back of my head soon...lol

:D
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.