Alaskan Malamutes: drawbacks? General Chat

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Charisma Love, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Doesn't look like a Mal to me????

I would be very wary of any dog being sold on in such way - most reputable breeders will take the dog back if an owner can't keep it.

Rescue has some lovely dogs in, but in buying a dog price should not be a major issue as the purchase price is only a tiny part of what the dog will actually cost ...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Must admit I thought it looked like a Sibe, but didn't want to say incase I made a t*t of meself! :lol:
  4. Charisma Love

Charisma Love New Member

Name:
    Carina
    We've reguarly been going to the local Dog's trust, because I was originally against buying from BYBs. Every dog we liked had already been returned 4 to 6 times already because of behaviour problems, and with an autistic 19 year old and a novice family I doubt we'd be able to handle an out of control dog from the get-go. You're right about that though, and going through the local ads probably wouldn't be any better. In our situation we probably would benefit from buying from a well-established breeder, even if it does cost hundreds of pounds more.
  5. Charisma Love

Charisma Love New Member

Name:
    Carina
    LOL, me too! I thought it was just down the fact he was a puppy that he had a slightly more husky-like frame to him and perhaps my untrained eye :/
  6. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    The normal average price for a Mal ranges from £850 -£950...

I certainly woulnd't be looking for a mal in the papers as Julie said.. this is where the problems start.. but not where they finish..

If you really are interested in the breed go along to a working rally or a show and meet them and speak to the owners/breeders and see what type you prefer.. there are lots of different types/looks.. You need to know which ones you like the look of to know which lines to follow.. Everyone has their own preferences...

I myself had a few "lucky escapes" with breeders when I first looked into getting mals.. and I now "know" the people who I contacted away back then and I am soo glad that it didn't happen at that time as I would have regretted it..

But now I know what I do, I felt confident enough to make the choice.. Research is a wonderful thing.. ...Knowledge is power and just because people have pups on the shelf doesn't mean they are any good.. Be prepared to wait and not just take the first one that is there..

P.S...Don't think its a Mal either... looks odd!!
  7. Charisma Love

Charisma Love New Member

Name:
    Carina
    thanks for the advice, I guess I will be in for an even longer wait. I've been searching for 6 months now D: Chances are, when I do find a good breeder, they'll be so good that they won't sell to a first time dog owner like me anyway :(
  8. Charisma Love

Charisma Love New Member

Name:
    Carina
    I emailed this website: http://www.austmans.com/mal.litters.htm

and sadly the female malamute on the left of that page, called Georgia was scanned and there are no puppies. Still worth the wait I think as these people seem like very responsible breeders and win a lot of awards for their work in furthering the breed :)
  9. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Oh yes...Mark & Kimberley...Good choice!!

I was on a list for a puppy from their Ike but sadly it didn't happen either..

The dog that Georgie was mated to is owned by my pups breeder..

Again.. EXCELLENT choice.. well done
  10. Charisma Love

Charisma Love New Member

Name:
    Carina
    it's great to hear they're also reccommended then :D we might even try to get a puppy from where Georgie comes from as they're both in Lecistershire, so whichever comes first!
  11. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Hmmm Lincolnshire :)

Hyteton also come highly recommended... My pups Daddy is owned by them too..
  12. Char

Char New Member

Name:
    Char
    My three are all blowing coats at the same time.

I think to be a malamute owner, you have to be prepared to be muddy, grubby and covered in a film of fluff all the year round, then at coat blowing time the hair is just unimaginable!!

No matter how many times a day you sweep or hoover, there is always some unescaped hair and it does not take long to have tumbleweeds around the room, on the sofa, in the food, in the oven, on the kitchen surfaces etc etc

The other drawbacks...

If they are not kept active then they can be noisy or destructive. With my three we do a bit of obedience, a bit of agility, we show, we do a LOT of walking and we work them as sled-dogs. They *still* get bored very easily and are always on the go.

You can let them off the lead but we have to be very careful, especially here in Wales as they have an extremely high prey drive and anything small and fluffy - rabbits, squirrels, sheep etc are all fair game. Although their recall is good normally, you can forget it once this drive kicks in. We just don't rick it when there is the possibility of livestock.

They are stubbourn, loud, dominant, bolshy and hairy but once you crack them, its a joy to see them enjoying their training and they are oh so loving :)
  13. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd

I agree good breeders I own the litter brother to the dog that was used on Georgie, my lads called snowolf Raz'N'Hell lol I also agree with Louise's other breeders mentioned Hyteton I just love the temperment from these 3 breeders.

Mo
  14. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

I can only echo what Louise and Mo have said 8) All the breeders you have mentioned have extremely good ethics and are concerned about the welfare of the breed and the dogs they produce (I myself own a boy sired by Kimberley's dog Ike ;-) ). I would recommend you go and see some Malamutes in the flesh (rally season is almost upon us :lol: ) and see if your partner is affected by them or not and if they are definately the breed for you.

Good luck in whatever you decide 8)
  15. flow-wolf

flow-wolf New Member

Name:
    jools
    Im a first time Malamute owner,had mine for 2 years now,didnt pay 800-850 though,I bought her for 200,which the owner wanted a quick sale ( maybe I was lucky ),she came to us very timid and quiet,we think maybe she was not being looked after properly,she had a huge like ropey mark on her neck,took her to the vets for him to look over her an he reckoned that she'd been tied up all day/night.

The only drawback I have with her is the huge amount of hair she sheds,my carpets are covered,ends up in my bed,in our tea,in our drinks,even found it in the fridge!! ( she tends to open it now an again an nick an egg lol )

I can let her off the lead in the local park,she always comes back.............some dogs do dislike her though..always getting barked at.

In general though she was a quiet dog,rarely barked until she learnt to howl properly,now we have singing lessons every weekend with her and my daughter Rhiannon.

All in all,I wouldnt be without her,she's my life,we all love her to bits.

An now we are looking for a second!!!
  16. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Ooooh fab. Where are looking to get another one from F-W ?? have you a breeder in mind or a line you like the look of ? I think that's the exciting part really ;)
  17. flow-wolf

flow-wolf New Member

Name:
    jools
    Ive had a look at the Alaskan Malamute Rescue,but really want a pup to grow up with our Flow,I'm never going to breed her,so she's never going to have pups of her own,so I think this is the best way,maybe be a surrogate mummy if you get my meaning.

Just got to get round my partner first lol
  18. Mel

Mel New Member

Name:
    Melody
    What about Lincolnshire? Isn't that where Mo's breeders live or am I getting confused? Oh and then Kim and Mark live here, Liz , Walt and Kath, and Mark and Sara :) It also happens to be where I live though I don't breed :D

As to recommending breeders ...I would always be careful recommending anyone to a breeder unless I was asked for an opinion on that breeder :D As everyone has differing opinions on all breeders.

It is always best to meet lots of Mals and their owners and then make an informed decision yourself rather than be swayed by anyone IMHO :)

Go to rallies, go to shows and see what dogs you like, talk to people and then make your own decisions :)
  19. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise

Don't go getting your knickers in a twist.. I meant hmmmm Lincolnshire??... as Charisma stated Kimberley & Mark were from Leicestershire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I "GO" there every year(well close Skeggy!).. nothing wrong with Lincolnshire..I think you will find MY breeders live there too:shock:

Yes thats very true.. but I give my opinion on a lot of things.. cars, freezers, barf suppliers, knicker elastic, barbie dolls, power rangers....etc etc. the list could be endless and I will continuing giving my opinion... it can be taken or left..

Yes.. thats the best way..of course.. meet them but also check the hip scores and eye tests and make sure they are valid.. get the BRS and make sure the scores are in there.. as there are lots of breeders claiming to have done these tests and they actually haven't and people seem to overlook that!!! not good at all
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2006
  20. HayleyJason

HayleyJason New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    I really don't think that this a problem with expressing a positive opinon about a person; car; freezer; hoover etc. - it is a different matter if it is derogatory about the above if the person; car; freezer can not defend themselves.

I personally agree with Greyhawk, Mo & Louise as I have breeding from the mentioned breeders and I have been in the breed for over 12 years and have done my research.