Utonagon what the heck

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by mo, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Well I cant find the add, maybe someone can help me? but 53:53 is the highest hip score possible, so its a disgrace whatever!
    Dawn.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    other than doggy hips...............pass

yeah your right dawn 106/106 wonder the dog can walk without pain.
  4. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise

Not sure why you are doubling each side??

The whole score is 106... 53 on each hip...(53:53 = 106)

this is the highest score that a dog can get under the BVA scheme
  5. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    i mean 106 out of 106
    yeah i know its 53 max on each side..............lol
  6. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Ah right.. I see what you mean now..

I just never normally see it written as 106/106:smt002
  7. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    If he is proven Sire it seems he has already passed it down :( :(
  8. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise

Yeah so either he isn't castrated or was used before he was:shock:
  9. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    first of all let me say that this dog had a really stupid amount of very hard excessive road work when he was extremely young, so it therefore doesn't go to follow that this would have been passed onto any progeny he might have, because his problem is not genetic, it is something that was caused by the people that had him.
    I am pretty sure I have met the dog concerned myself and he was absolutely lovely, if it is the one I am thinking about then his owner had no idea what had happened to him previously and the story only unfolded at a later date.
    It has only just become a pre-requisite for all our dogs to be hip and eye tested before they are bred from, and the Society's rules are stringent on it.
    I must say also that there are a lot of breeds out there who are not hip and eye tested and they are bred from.
    It is not against KC club rules to breed from a dog with poor hip and eye scores. However it is against our Society rules now, safeguards have been put in place, so we are actually further along on this than lots of other breeds.
    Our rules state that if the parents haven't been hip and eye tested then any new litters cannot be registered with the Society.
  10. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn

There is nothing anybody can say to make better the fact that this person is willing to use a dog with a dreadful hip score on bitches, its a disgrace, and if she were a member of any club i had authority in she would be taken off the membership list and her subscription returned, as she clearly has no genuine interest in the welfare of the breed she owns!
    Dawn.
  11. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Let me say again, the problem is NOT a genetic one, therefore it would not have been passed down.
    He is not my dog, therefore I really cannot comment on it anymore. I am not a font of knowledge, I do not KNOW what led to the adv. all I know is that he is castrated now, and that his high hipscore is due to the stupidity of former owners, and this did not come to light for some time.
  12. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    I take it then that he was also a rescue? or returned to the breeder? and its his new owners/breeder that are now advertising him at stud? if he is a rescue and went through "breed rescue"? why was he not castrated before the new owners got him, if he was returned to the breeder, why did the breeder not keep him in the first place if he was worth breeding from? something just does not sit right with this IMO.

Mo
  13. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Surely too much walking or whatever would not cause that high a hip score:shock:
  14. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    What about an 8 mile jog everyday for a pup?
    I think if we neutered every dog that came into rescue that is of good parentage where we know its pedigree, when we have the option of re-homing him to a Ute home we would be silly as we just don't have a large enough gene pool. No one was aware of the problem until it was too late, but this is only what I have been told.
    Everybody is sat in their ivory towers pontificating here.
    There are loads of breeds with genetic disorders out there whose breeders are gaily breeding the faults on, we are trying to eradicate ours at an early stage, hence compulsory hip and eye testing, ours is not the only breed to suffer this. At least we have made positive efforts to stop faults being bred on.
  15. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    You seem to be taking this personally Tawneywolf ? this is not having ago at the breed (it dosnt matter what breed it is in this case)its a case of what the heck is this breeder doing knowingly breeding from a dog with such high scores, even if it has now been castrated it was used at stud with very high scores, and with all due respect do you know for a fact that the hip scores are from over exercise? I personally have my doubts, but I am no expert so cannot say wether this is the case.

Mo
  16. pod

pod New Member

Name:
    pod
    I would think it is possible that excessive excercise at a young age could cause this amount of hip damage but there doesn't seem to be any proof of this or that this dog's hip status isn't at least, partially genetic.

A more reliable method (than his own score) of assessing a dog's genetic hip status is to produce a progeny test ie a mean score of all his scored progeny. This will obviously be lower than his own, together with the fact that scores from extreme parents tend to drift towards the mean for the breed, but still, this should give a good indication.

If no progeny are scored, then parents and siblings would give a good indication.

What I do find a bit surprising though, is that with the GSD as one of the founder breeds, dogs have been previously used without scoring.
  17. pod

pod New Member

Name:
    pod
    Just done a quick search

A daughter of Sulin Shimber is scored -

Recall Naja at Wolfsean Hips 49:51 total 100

The COI on her pedigree is 12.5% (2 gen) with inbreeding 2:2 on Tote-Tims Dreamcatcher at Sulin.

The dam of Naja (sired by Dreamcatcher) has a score or 27:27 and unless there is a similar explanation of environmental influence to account for the high scores, this is a strong indication of a genetic component for hip dysplasia.

http://pages.123-reg.co.uk/hungarianpulis-938437/utonagan/id2.html
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2006
  18. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    So this is a litter that he has sired???

He was mated to a bitch with a score of 23:23 which resulted in a litter... 2 of which have scores of 49:51 and 53:53 and one of which has actually been diagnosed with HD..

SO therefore in this case the overexercising cannot be to blame.. and YES he has already passed this onto his progeny:evil:

Poor dogs!!!
  19. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Poor Naja. :-(
  20. Zoundz

Zoundz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    that's utterly disgusting :(

what a dreadful woman to have bred from him :( poor poor dogs. How can anyone defend her corner? I would be very wary now of trusting peopel involved with this... it's very worrying that tawneywolf seemed to be so strongly backing up the woman who advertised this dog for stud...

dispicable :evil:

xx
  21. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    er, I am not backing her....I am just giving the facts as I know them. I am not defending what happened. But it has happened and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.
    Having a slagging off match isn't going to make things go away.
    As it happens my 2 are Sulin lines as well, so I do know a little bit about the lines and I can tell you that the majority of Sulin pups have excellent hip scores. But it does happen, they are from gsd's, bad hips is a genetic fault in gsd's, it has transmitted itself to Utes, we are trying to eradicate it, we are a young breed, come back in 100 years and see if we have succeeded!!!!
    Gradually the hip scores are coming down over the years, so it proves that what we are doing is pointing us in the right direction, lots of Utes now have hip scores of 6.
    Can everyone else who has put their fourpenneth in say that their dogs have been hip scored and eyetested as a matter of course when they are 1?