Siberian Husky off lead walking??? Controversial

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Zuba, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zero

zero New Member

**off topic but then alot of this thread has been. I totally respect how many keep their Huskies onlead at all times but I'm very glad it is not yet illegal to allow dogs offlead in all areas. My dogs are boistrous and I do my upmost to excersize them in the appropriate areas and never allow them near livestock of anykind, parks, crowded beaches or any other place with more than a handful of people...It's the duties of responsible ownership and I don't see anything wrong with leaving it just the way it is, punish the irresponsible ones not everyone. The rules are already there not to let your dog off lead on public footpaths, near livestock etc (the risk of having a dog shot at is enough for me) I see no need to change things. I love our off lead walks in the appropriate areas.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    Yep, according to this theory (which has no research based proof whatsoever in relation to siberian huskies), arctic foxes and polar bears are doomed really arn't they??
  4. kisolay

kisolay New Member

Name:
    kisolay
    myschievous, the vast majority of people walking their dogs off lead are responsible, many of them call their dogs to them or put them on lead when they see me approach with two on-lead...it's unfortnately the few that spoil it isn't it? We have had around 5 run ins so far (since February) once where my husband was bitten by pitbull type (in a childrens park), one that knocked my three year old to the ground (on a pblic ath) and wouldn't let her up and the others that weren't as bad but still annoying!
    unfortunately no one does seem to enforce it...

then there are those that let their dogs race far enough ahead so as to be blissfully unaware of the mess they should clean up.....

but off topic lol
  5. kisolay

kisolay New Member

Name:
    kisolay
    sounds like nature messed up a bit with the old natural selection there Lyn ;)
  6. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    report them! Being knocked over by a dog can land that dog (and owner) in court under the dangerous dogs act, being bitten CERTAINLY can.
  7. kisolay

kisolay New Member

Name:
    kisolay

the dog that knocked her over was being looked after by two little girls who I asked to take it back to their mum and keep it under control, which they did. Just an over excited big pup really...the other guy had three, two of which were on a lead (not for long!) all in a kids park!! Will def report it if it happens again.... lucky it only got his boot
  8. onqsiberians

onqsiberians New Member

Name:
    Angel
    No... their skin has pigment... you did not read my post or any of the links on the page that sent you.... they are all from very reputable sources I OBVIOUSLY SAID... Not extreme pie-balds... or white animals with colored poits.... they are not truely WHITE... they are either black or brown... as are polar bears... as are arctic foxes...

The information pertains to the amount of white markings on an animal AKA IRISH MARKINGS.... everything I have said is based in science... you are just to stubborn to actually follow the links...
  9. mozzy

mozzy New Member

Name:
    Queenie
    Just in case I'm misquoted etc, I didn't mean to imply that I agreed that it should be illegal to have your dog off lead in all public spaces, but IMHO it's a good idea if there are some open spaces etc where dogs should be kept on a lead at all times ;-), 'cos not very owner is in control of their dogs and there are non-dog people etc who are afraid of dogs running loose.
  10. onqsiberians

onqsiberians New Member

Name:
    Angel
    I have read a great many books and other media sources on dog genetics... I did subsequently list pages with many links that backed my statements... all you are doing is failing to produce a link to back your mouth,.. and trashing valid research... you can not live out your life no researching things... if you give me links that say that I am wrong.. I will read and discuss them with you... it is apparent that you are unwilling to learn, because you THINK you know it all... what have you actually read about the Chukchi and their migratory patterns?? What do you know about the way that they really live?

Huskies didn't go off-leash in their natural habitat huh....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Whatever you say....
  11. kisolay

kisolay New Member

Name:
    kisolay
    the skin does have some pigment but looks like onqsiberians doesnt bother to read my posts just likes to slate bluesandtwos....ah well you know what they say....
  12. Kanikula

Kanikula New Member

Name:
    Sam
    As much as i love seeing you all play tit for tat, this thread is going waaaay off topic! Cant you take it to another thread??? :)

Sam x
  13. onqsiberians

onqsiberians New Member

Name:
    Angel
    This is a must read book that involves Siberian Husky Genetics... you can read for yourself how they came from all over East Siberia...

Seppala, Alaskan Dog Driver
    http://www.hoflin.com/Books/Seppala.html
  14. kisolay

kisolay New Member

Name:
    kisolay
    don't suppose you are really interested but a few pages back a very good link to current research into coat colour was posted:

http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/dogcolors.html
  15. kisolay

kisolay New Member

Name:
    kisolay

as amusing as it is I have to agree lol

I'm losing interest anyway ;)
  16. onqsiberians

onqsiberians New Member

Name:
    Angel
    It was semi relevent... the pictures were to show that Siberians do go off-leash where they come from... it would stand to reason that they could do it again... Mine do.. I have encountered a lot of owners in other forums that do...
  17. Kanikula

Kanikula New Member

Name:
    Sam

no no its all good reading! :lol: im just getting confused picking out bits of each discussion! :shock: There must be at least 3 topics going on in this thread alone!!!
  18. kisolay

kisolay New Member

Name:
    kisolay
    there are some siberians that can and do go off leash. That isn't the major isue being contested here. It is the advice that all siberians be allowed off leash exercise for a few hours a day and if not it is cruel, etc, etc

the problem with this is that the way siberians have been bred origionally and the fact that most siberians are descended from these (not included cross breeding etc) means that they have an instinct to keep rnning. It may or may not kick in everytime bt chances are it will one day, maybe triggered by chasing a cat or something, and if it does they inevitably run until they are knocked down.
    They were often used to hunt and so many have a high prey drive meaning that they like to chase adding to the first aspect. And they were bred to be able to think for themselves meaning that they may just chose not to listen.

It is a chance that may never happen, (my youngest is very reliable with recall and loves to play ball but I still think one day there is a chance the urge to run may kick in) but one not many people on here are willing to take. And certainly not one that should be encouraged daily.

There are fantastic ways to exercise sibes safely. Long walks, jogging, cycling, working and maybe it is just laziness that is the deciding factor?
  19. kisolay

kisolay New Member

Name:
    kisolay

it's certainly an emotive topic!
  20. zero

zero New Member

Hi mozzy, that's already how it is really though isn't it, I know of many areas dogs can't go offlead and personally I just hope they don't take more places away.

I have met many people scared of dogs running loose as a result I find myself in the depths of the forest or on deserted beaches in the worst weathers or walking slightly more popular places in the pouring rain when I know people will be scarce just so the dogs can have some fun without irritation. I go out of my way like you wouldn't believe to cater for everyone else and I don't think it's fair to have even more restrictions unless designated areas are given where dogs can be dogs.

It's a shame people just don't know how to act, I believe on approach I should reel my dogs in and have them onlead to pass anything that is smaller or more frail or nervous than them and likewise people should have their children, smallest dogs etc approach quietly and controled. Where as more often than not it's more like I have to be at a saint like level while everyone else can carry on as normal without contributing to the sucess of the situation.

Just a bit of a passionate topic of mine :lol: I'll leave you to get back on topic now :)
  21. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    a little discussion on white here:
    certain breeds of white dogs are THROUGH CREDIBLE RESEARCH, known to be predisposed to genetic problems (you may choose to describe them as "weakness" if you wish).
    most notably here: the dalmation, black spotted white dog, which may or may not have blue eyes, and why BAER testing is recommended for this breed.
    also: white boxers. these were traditionally culled at birth as considered "weak". not so now, but BAER testing is recommended for white specimins of the breed.

thirdly, white cats, particularly with blue eyes are through reseach, known to be more prone to deafness.

all these examples are proven, not just by one paper, but by numerous peices of well redemonstrated research.

there are NO credible, redemonstrated papers to prove such a genetic link exists in siberan huskies, no matter how much white they do or dont have. If there were, I would be very keen to test my pure white, blue eyed bitch. and YES!, she is pure white, several members on this thread can verify that and NO, she does NOT have pigmented skin, all pink, pink nose, pink pads, pink mucosa.

In fact, taking a look at my pack and had I had any doubts about your theories credability, My kennel would be a non-starter

One pure white-no pigment
    eight with 'Irish' markings
    Two splashcoats: LARGE white neck markings
    two dilutes, both with Irish markings
    One 'black mask', though she does have white legs/belly, so weak? you tell me?
    One monochrome, but ditto above, again?, weak?

based on your theory, i only have one dog in my kennel considered genetically 'worthy', dark wolf-grey agouti, with all black face, tan legs and just a dozen or so white hairs at the tip of her tail

well folks!, looks like Nuka is the future of our kennel!

.....and FYI,
    my education, largely medical, biological and the connected sciences, was heavily research based. i have conducted, critiqued, and reproduced to prove/disprove a great deal of papers throughout my educational and working life. you dont get the suffixes of BSC(hons) and BA(Hons) after your name for nothing!!

sorry, but one raindrop does not a river make
    and one peice of reseach does not a theory prove (particularly when it is quite clearly flawed in method and the findings largely circumstantial)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.