Siberian Husky off lead walking??? Controversial

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Zuba, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    with all due respect, grindy owns and has owned more huskies than I suspect Mayhew has ever rehomed. she has been in the breed for many years, working dogs in harness, and If she made that comment, then its no generalisation.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Considering it was mentioned on your own forum I find it hard to believe that you didn't know.
  4. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    due to not being able to post links on here, May i suggest you look at Mayhews website, under 'dogs' and veiw 'Basil'. the staffy currently residing there. my post was a direct quote of his description from the site, clearly stating he has to be on a 100ft line because he listens when he chooses to. strangley, one of the characteristics of the husky. so not rehoming a dog till a reliable recall has been taught is not true in this example is it?
  5. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Could you answer these please?
  6. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Can someone explain what raw feeding has to do with this thread?
  7. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    It was me that said we don't rehome a dog until they have a reliable recall, the Mayhew and AllBreeds Rescue are completely different rescues :roll:
    Although to be pedantic, we have had a couple of dogs that we've not been able to train reliable recall to, two that spring to mind were a GSDx and a Springer, both dogs are exercised off lead but on a 100 foot long line.
  8. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    http://www.onqsiberians.com/You%20Should%20Own%20a%20Siberian.htm

9. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    So no husky can live with another animal. You agree with that do you?

How many Huskies has grindy owned? I wonder if it's less or more than I have owned including those we've rehomed
  10. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

:shock:

So are you advocating this site to prove your point, because frankly it has me rather worried.

Siberian Huskies are not protection dogs.
  11. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    that is one quote, from one individual, that IMO (having had a look at the rest of the site) Is teaching huskies to do something very unatural for them: GUARDING (or personal protection as he prefers to refer to it)
    not sure any of the breeders contributing here would agree guarding traits in a siberian are desirable, and any dog displaying such traits would be neutered and certainly not bred from (not here at least).
    One quote: Hardly stands up against the thousands available out there hes contradicting does it?
  12. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    no, thats not what im saying, but if prey drive is given as a breed characteristic by all the major authourities on the breed, then AFAIC, the ones who will live with small furry things are the exception, not the rule.

as for the rest of your question, Ill let Grindy choose to answer that, but she is one of the larger racing kennels in the UK.
  13. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    If you google..

Siberian Husky Off Lead.. it gives you loads and loads of sites stating.. DO NOT do it...

So are they all wrong.. and that ONE site you have found says its ok.. and they are right...

Sibes for protection... of what.. their food!!!
  14. grindys

grindys

Name:
    hmmmmmmmm
    I don't personally class that as being exercised off lead, more like lungeing a dog ;-)

As for how many animals I have owned (well, looking at Mayhews current list of dogs for rehoming, I've got about double that amount here at the moment, all exercised every day on our own land), probably more than you, as I DO actually own mine rather than work in a rescue centre and FYI I was a vet nurse for many years so have worked with quite a few small & large animals including help run the wildlife rescue side of the practice....

OMG my BIG swollen head is not gonna fit through the stable door 2nite :twisted:
  15. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    I don't agree with a lot of the things on that site but it does sum up my thoughts on huskies being trained to go off lead
  16. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    I think we were linked to the site of an idividual whos chosen to exploit the fact that Huskies LOOK like they mean business.:smt002
  17. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    hardly credible though is it, given the rest of the site.
  18. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Well if we're going to start singing our own praises, I'm both a Qualified Veterinary Nurse and Animal Behaviourist. Ive worked for over 10 years in 2 different well known rescues before starting up our own Rescue :mrgreen:
  19. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Yeah... they might talk the talk but they certainly wouldn't walk the walk..

Personally... I would be more scared of a JRT or a Yorkie..
  20. Rigrunner

Rigrunner New Member

Name:
    Sarah

Nope, fair to say they would even give that up if something more interesting was in their view and needed investigating:mrgreen:
  21. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Anne, the OP did not launch in to a complaint about a rescue, all that was said in the first post was the an advert had been seen but no mention was made of the source of the advert.
    Saying in addition to whats already been said [ which is far too much already imo ], that a `lot` of `information has been withheld` just compounds things even more.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.