Siberian Husky off lead walking??? Controversial

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Zuba, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Ok I should have said some other rescues, not just ours.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

I know - I happen to have read the article before, hence mentioning it here. It still proves that these 14 breeds are genetically different to other dogs.
  4. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    Was this fun weekend at AMWA or the colwyn bay one MALADY?, as sure i can find numerous attendees who will verify your story (I did niether that year unfortunately)
  5. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Why Thank You:smt002

There is another one on there that has him "playing" with a ladybird on the trampoline...
    The ladybird was of course unharmed in the making of the film:lol:
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Well come on then, where is it?:lol:
  7. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    The majority of these 'we rescued him' aren't actual rescue dogs, believe me I'm one of the first to contact these people :smt002 , more often or not they turn out to be dogs they felt they had rescued from someone or they were a private rehome.
  8. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Anne I could prove this sad tale, yes, but short of phoning the guy and upsetting him, there is little I can do by way of proof.

I don't need to justify myself to you or anyone else. The fact is that by saying all owners who care enough to keep dogs on leads are cruel, is an outright insult.

To imply that I fabricate stories for some unknown reason, is also an insult Anne. A man lost his beloved dog.

Karma ;)
  9. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    :lol: :lol: I've gotta see this one
  10. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    sorry I didn't mean to offend, it's just I tend not to believe everything I read on the Internet, but for what it's worth it sounds like what your saying is true. Poor guy, like someone has already said, awful freak accident :(

What do you mean by Karma?
  11. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Thanks, YES it was AMWA ;-) It was our first time there, and the guy approached us asking if we intended on letting our first Mal off lead, and then proceeded to tell us why we shouldn't. Very sad :-(
  12. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    No, I'm talking about dogs that have genuinely been rescued from centres, but for whatever reason, they cannot be kept, and rather than 'Give' them back, people see £££££ so sell them on instead.
  13. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    The minority yes it's Disgusting that people would do this :evil:

We would certainly take the owners to court if this ever happened with one of our dogs
  14. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise

I think its this one.. Here

and this is them having a run around
    HERE
  15. Fluffypawz

Fluffypawz New Member

Name:
    Alex
    Anne - It was definately the Dreamcatcher site that the discussion was on before and not the SHC of GB. That I am possitive of. There was alot of discussion going on about the topic some months back.

I know someone has posted two references on here from each site so people can make their own minds up.

Personally, I'll keep my little lovies on the lead, run them for exercise and let them have safe off lead exercise in an enclosed area. That way, I can go to bed knowing my dogs are happy, healthy both mentally and physically, but most importantly SAFE!

To those who who have happy husky days :grin: To those who don't I'm sorry and I hope one day you don't regret it.:cry:
  16. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

Are you trying to spark another debate :lol:

Yes ;-)
  17. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Thanks for that info ;-) although as far as I'm aware the dreamcatcher forum is not the SHWA, but they do have members of the SHWA on there

I can't find this thread anywhere on the dreamcatcher website? there is a thread on there about letting huskies off lead, where you'll find some agree with it, but can't find the thread your mentioning??
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  18. Fluffypawz

Fluffypawz New Member

Name:
    Alex
    I just say look at what people do with their own dogs......
    Each to their own and I say again I don't think that this matter will ever be resolved.
  19. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    there has also been an 'offlead' debate on the sibespace forum, fairly recently.

YES! I happily let off all three of our collies and our working police dog GSD. I had no problem with recall with three of these, and the other collie, who would come back, but run rings around me, did have a reliable 'down-stay' command to get her back
  20. DanishPastry

DanishPastry New Member

Name:
    Anne
    can I just point out that you don't actually rescue a dog FROM a rescue centre... generally the dogs are quite safe there ;-) The dogs will have been rescued BY the centre, before being REHOMED to members of the public.

Anne, who walks her dogs offlead, circumstances permitting!! :mrgreen:
  21. mozzy

mozzy New Member

Name:
    Queenie
    I know I said I wasn't posting again, but in the hope that maybe this debate (or as some want to make it - argument) might conclude here goes...

We are being asked to accept that Anne and Lisa (at Mayhew) are experts on this subject, now as you'll see from the quote above Anne wants proof/evidence of stories of Huskies running off etc before she'll accept what some of us have tried to put across.
    OK Anne and Lisa I want proof not just your opinions, evidence and facts to back up some of the 'expert facts' you have been asking us to accept especially the stuff like physical and mental cruelty etc, if your dog is not allowed to run off free for 20-30 mins a day.
    A list of references to published works (journals books etc - peer reviewed not just a reader's letter in 'Your Dog' mag), showing evidence backed up by data from studies etc, esp concerning the sled dog breeds, Huskies, Malamutes etc. Don't worry I'll find the references etc OK (it's what I do for a living - checking out research).
    Just post a list on here and we'll be able to check it out and decide for ourselves.
    You wanted proof, why can't we have some?

As an aside - some of the stuff that you've both written on here in recent days is IMO giving non-Husky owners a very bad (and skewed) impression of not just the breed organizations (plural) but the Husky world/owners in general which is grossly unjustified IMHO.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.