Siberian Husky off lead walking??? Controversial

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Zuba, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

Well I certainly beg to differ on that point, there are several people on here who both value and respect Sarah's knowledge and experience. I believe I have already posted my views about Sibes going OTL before in this thread - however I will repeat again that I do believe they should only be let OTL in fully enclosed areas.

I would think that someone who has been in the breed for numerous years is well placed to be able to tell whether or not a dog is fat from some photo's. As to the 'unhealthy' part - Sarah merely mentioned that they were 'unheathily fat'.

Interesting Wys - even though I agree that having them on a long line gives them a greater degree of freedom, I do not personally believe that it is to be considered off lead. I exercise mine (not Sibes) on lunge lines as they are not allowed OTL in the majority of cases however I believe there is a vast difference in them being totally off lead and being attached to a line (and believe me my girl knows the difference too :smt002 ).
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2007
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. spot

spot New Member

I find it difficult to value and respect anyone who has to resort to personal insults on a forum regardless of how many years in the breed.

I also consider it irresponsible to lable someone's dogs as fat lazy and whatever from a couple of photos again regardless of how long they have been in the breed on a public forum.

Also why would anyone think greyhounds are muzzled because they run in a straight line? - what is the muzzle supposed to do?
  4. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I'm very interested in this because I do have a similar issue with my dog in that he has perfect recall unless there is something more interesting to chase. He will come back eventually though and not just keep on running. I do exercise him off lead - I think he'd go crazy without his exercise - but I have to do it in very out of the way places.
  5. mozzy

mozzy New Member

Name:
    Queenie
    Hi Wysiwyg

You'll find the vast majority of Husky owners do 'cos they're responsible Husky owners who understand the needs of the dogs, the sport of Husky rallying in the UK is huge, just check out both the Scottish and GB Husky clubs for verification and the other numerous rally clubs etc dedicated to running Huskies. Those of us who don't have 'teams' run them with mountian bikes and scooters (you need more than one dog to pull a rig).
    But as with any breed of dog there are irresponsible owners who will have never given the needs of their dog any consideration - this does not just apply to Huskies!
  6. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay
    I agree dogs will realise they are on a line (however long ;-) ) however, most dogs will also realise they can basically "bog off" when in that situation, as no-one is holding the line. To me being on lead means someone is holding t'other end of the lead - surely if they are not, it has to be counted as "off lead" whatever the dog's perceptions?

Not trying to be argumentative, I find the views interesting :smt001

Wys
    x
  7. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay
    It's good to hear this, I know many husky people do get involved with local rally clubs etc, I wasnt sure about the availability of land etc around the country for these rallies to be held on a regular basis (or for training and regular exercise on a regular basis) :)

Thanks
    Wys
    x
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Hi Spot :grin:
    Where I race the Borders there is a couple there with Saluki's. They cannot let them loose, they take off, the worse one of the two could NOT be caught even in the confines of the Greyhound track, it took ages. A guy came over, who had rescue Greys and lurchers and said to the owner, "muzzle him when you run him next" we all looked in amazement, they did and when the Hare stopped, the dog did too! UNBELIEVABLE, the owners just walked up to him and he never moved! Its been exactly the same every time since, with the muzzle he stays put, without he takes off!
    Dawn.
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Long lines are not ideal and have injured dogs and people, so have flexi-leads, jolting the dog when its travelling at full tilt, then hits a full stop has been known to damage neck vertibrae and do other damage too, its also occured when the dogs have worn a harness, muscles underneath the dogs front legs have been damaged.
    Dawn.
  10. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

I didn't think you were attempting to be argumentative Wys - I can see where you are coming from however the idea of having a long line attached to the dog is that they can't bog off (as you put it). If they did start to move off then the owner would put their foot on the line to prevent this. IMO (and in the experience I have had when using them) the dogs know they are still on a line. I actually attach mine to my waist belt when using the long line, but I agree with Dawn in that they aren't ideal by any means. We have two that go on lunge lines and they do get the lines tangled by roaming across each others. We often have to walk 50ft apart to prevent this :neutral:

IMO off lead means just that - no lead or line attached so you have no physical control over the dog and are reliant on their obedience in all situations. This is why mine only tend to go OTL in completely enclosed areas.
  11. spot

spot New Member

Hmm wonder why racing greyhounds dont stop then? Maybe its a saluki thing but then the salukis Ive fostered have never done that either, or any of my greyhounds. I still dont see how the muzzle is supposed to stop them running in a straight line - but Im think as per usual with me and you we're about to be slapped for going OT!:? :shock:
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Honest Spot, we were all gobsmacked! It really did work, with this dog at least. Not sure about a straight line, it just stopped him running off full stop!
    Dawn.
  13. lisa@mayhew

lisa@mayhew New Member

Having actually met Anne's Huskies in person on a couple of occasions they are not over weight, if anything they're probably some of the fittest & healthiest dogs I've ever seen. You only have to look at the photos she’s posted on here to see for yourselves they’re not over weight which brings me to wonder why rigrunner would make such a claim? I have yet to meet someone more knowledgeable on huskies than Anne someone who has been in the breed for decades. She is also highly respected in the rescue world and I feel such comments like she experiments with her dogs! are not only highly insulting but blasphemous.

Ditto :smt023
  14. Tuuli

Tuuli New Member

Name:
    Tuuli
    I promised myself I wouldnt reply but it seems I just cant help it.. :mrgreen:

AnneUK feels sorry for siberians that cannot run free and thus wont get enough exercise. I'm sorry but I just cant see the problem. After a 30km training most of mine are happy enough to go to their doghouses and sleep and wait for dinner. I'm quite sure they dont feel unhappy not being let off lead. I'm also pretty sure they get more exercise than AnneUK's "off-lead huskies". :lol:

This brings me to another point. Which is that I fail to see the point of getting sled dogs for pets. Siberians are a working breed and this is what they were bred for and this is what they SHOULD be used for. There are plenty of breeds that are easier and can live as an only dog so why ot get one of those breeds? A siberian NEEDS to be worked and it needs to pull. If you dont plan to do this, dont get a sibe.

Some sibes can be lot off lead, some cant. That is as simple as it is. Some bloodlines are easier than others, e.g. Igloo Pak is known for this quality. This is a known secret also, anyone working with sibes (and I do mean REAL work!) will confirm this. A lot depends on the training method. If it based on social learning from other individuals in the same pack, siberians respond very quickly (the same method is used to train young dogs in teams to learn commands).

To me the biggest thread for the breed is people who buy them as pets. There are enough pet breeds aleady. Siberian Husky is NOT one of them.
  15. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Realistically, they were bred to trot/canter werent they? Never run full tilt anywhere? so why would lead exercise be any different?

I personanlly think Annes dogs cannot be clearly seen on those photos, one does look like it needs grooming, its coat does look bad, but as to weight/fitness, well you wont gather that from a photgraph will you? Her dogs fitness shouldnt be in question anyway.
    Dawn.
  16. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    I've been reading this thread with great interest...

Surely this fact applies to almost every breed of dog?? Sled dog or not?

I know some Boxers who can't be let off lead, have a prey drive more suited to a Terrier (that is, very strong) and once they have a scent, that's it. However, some will walk placidly by your side, and even if a rabbit runs right in front of them, won't go chase it.

I think a lot is down to training, but also breeding and individual traits/personality.
  17. Tuuli

Tuuli New Member

Name:
    Tuuli
    Siberians were brought to US for racing and racing only. The original breed standard from 1932 says that a siberian should and is expected to run in team pulling a load 20 miles / hour in short distance run. The speed of 20 miles / hour is over 30km/h, which is FAST. I'd like to see any trotter achieve that.

Did I say anything about the condition of AnneUK's dogs? I just said a can be pretty sure mine get more exercise even if I never let mine off lead. :grin:
  18. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    :shock: :roll: :roll:
    But they dont do that "1932 original" stuff now do they? Not many anyway. I think you misunderstood or misread my post. What I said was they were not bred to run LOOSE everywhere were they? Whether it be fast or not, they were all tied together and they ran confined to a sled, yes? so a gallop in the park wouldnt be "natural" to that breed if as you are pointing out history lessons, would it? Also, I dont think, unless you can enlighten us, Huskies were allowed free running anywhere, I thought they were staked out, as they still are nowadays when used in their original form?
    Dawn.
  19. Tuuli

Tuuli New Member

Name:
    Tuuli
    What do you mean by original stuff? Most sibes in my country are used for racing and safaris.

Maybe I did misunderstand you. You asked if sibes were bred to trott/canter. I said they where bred to run as fast as they possibly can AND pulling a sled. So, yes, running free is NOT what they were bred for. Nor is it (IMHO)sufficient exercise for a sibe. Which is why I cant understand AnneUK's opinion on off-lead huskies.
  20. lisa@mayhew

lisa@mayhew New Member

And neither should the condition of their coats, which by the way when I meet them all 5 had lovely groomed coats, I can't imagine Anne would have them any other way.

What do you think they used to do with the huskies out of season.

As for muzzles stopping greyhounds running :lol:
  21. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

:? Nor can you tell the condition of the coat from the photo but when a dog is out playing in grass and mud you wouldn't expect him to look like he'd just stepped out of the parlour anyway.

Interesting stuff Tuuli, good to have your input :grin: . I understand the working dog/breeding view but do the dogs ever need to 'cut loose' a bit away from harnesses etc.?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.