Siberian Husky off lead walking??? Controversial

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Zuba, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    Possibly, but I doubt as many as the three Husky welfare groups in operation in the UK, who rehome huskies and ONLY Huskies. and none of those advocate off lead exersise.
    i dunno, maybe i have just seen too much heartache follow the injuries and deaths of huskies, who met their end because they were not on a lead.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Yes but it's always relevant:smt002

And people have been posting on it pretty regularly since it first went up..
  4. lisa@mayhew

lisa@mayhew New Member

Do you know how many Huskies the SHCGB has rehomed this year
  5. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    SHCGB (Siberian Husky club of Great Britain):8 rehomed, 4 in welfare and 1 waiting to come in. Welfare scheme has been recently reorganised following staffing problems
    SHWA(UK) (Siberian Husky welfare Association UK):49 Rehomed since it bacame 'official' in February and 6 before that, plus 3 currently in welfare and two battersea dogs (Whom SHWA work closely with) plus a few others by assisting other rescue organisations. Also one akita, who came as a 'package' with her husky companion, and that was a strong bond, I transported them to their foster home.
    SSHC (Scottish siberian husky club): Unsure, but double figures as recently rehomed an entire kennel of 27 dogs

Total for all three: 90+ and 10 currently under welfare scemes for rehoming.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007
  6. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    An no doubt all rightly advised to keep them on leads
  7. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    :shock: that's disgusting considering how many pups they've bred

I have far more respect for SHWA(UK) :smt001
    I understand they were set up because they didn't agree with how the SHCGB ran the welfare side of things.
  8. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    In your opinion.
    I just hope these dogs have access to enclosed private fields. Breaks my heart to think of a Husky only getting on lead exercise. :smt022
  9. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    Its not pups bred by SHCGB members that are coming through welfare schemes, its those churned out by puppy farmers who wash their hands of the dog once it leaves them and certainly SHWA(UK) have delt with some pretty severe mistreatment cases.

you understand wrong! SHWA(UK), SHCGB and SSHC all work together and in support of one another
  10. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    so the 15 miles a week or so they run in harness (which is what mine do) counts for nothing then? Far more and better quality exercise than the stroll round the park many dogs make do with.
    ...and breaks my heart more to hear about the ones who are now dead because they were off lead.
  11. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Sorry but you are wrong, I agree the majority of them do come from bybs but believe me dogs bred by breeders recommended by the SHCGB do and have ended up in rescue.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  12. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    That's not entirely true now is it
  13. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    sorry your right I should have made it clear that I was talking about your average owners. The ones that think walking a husky on lead around the park twice daily is enough exercise :?
  14. rosegallagher

rosegallagher New Member

Name:
    rose
    my 2 sibes are lucky yes they get off leash runs but we are able to let them have use of a field that is completely fenced in & they are content to run around chasing each other with me being able to relax knowing they are contained . I wouldn't let mine off leash , mishka gets walks with the other 2 & a run in harness with my bike too. I know of a person who lived in my village a while ago , they had their sibe off leash it nearly got run over on the level crossing 1 day too, near miss. I have a pup of lynns (bluesandtwos) & he will always be run either in an enclosed area or in harness ALWAYS, not worth the risk. My dogs are well exercised & very well behaved at home as they get plenty of running contained.
  15. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    That's great :grin:
    Maybe reputable breeders who say Huskies can't go off lead, should only sell their pups to people who have similar facilities as yourself or are involved in humane husky sports
  16. rosegallagher

rosegallagher New Member

Name:
    rose
    we can't use this field everyday but a couple of times a week max 4. but they have fun in it when we get access.
  17. Bluesandtwos

Bluesandtwos New Member

Name:
    LYN
    I do!. In my whole time owning the breed, I have bred two litters, A total of 14 pups, we have 3 of these here as ours and all other 11 are in working homes, either racing, canicross or bikejoring.
  18. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Good-on-you :grin:
  19. vincent smith

vincent smith New Member

Name:
    wolfy
    wolfy my husky she is 2years old she ran of in kilmarnock last years down the street but i got her in the end took some time and she got away out side our place up in caithness scotland,i will never let her of the lead not takeing the chance at all looseing her,as her kennel club name is (never stop running).
    we take wolfy and kernet her gide line to the dog scooter and let her run all the way up in the woods she loves it.
  20. mozzy

mozzy New Member

Name:
    Queenie
    Do you know anything about Huskies?
    Any responsible Husky owner compensates their dog for not be able to walk it off lead.
    Would you prefer it if they ran off and got run over by a car, ran off and chased sheep in a field and got shot by the farmer, or ran off and was found by someone who decided not to give them back?
    Do you have any idea how strong a Husky's hunting drive is and how curious they are?

My Husky gets walked 8 miles a day in 2 walks (on lead) but never the same walk every day, never just round the local park, and he has a decent sized garden to run around in and let off steam, which he does. He also gets a proper run on the moors similar to bikeyorring.

A dog does not just have fun by being able to be off a lead in a public place!
  21. husky-love

husky-love New Member

Name:
    Martin
    If anything husky owners over compensate

my girlfriend who was once a 15 stone unfit person who nearly died walking for an hour (dont worry she knows im typing this :lol: ) now runs 5 miles a day with each dog, when we went on holiday to the lake district she was climbing 7 to 8 hundred feet mountains with them

We wanted this breed and we knew they couldnt be let off lead so we changed our life to suit them as I know many husky enthusasts do too
    This winter we`ll start training the dogs to run in harness and next season will start to run them officially at rallies this season we`ll just take part in some canicross to keep the boys fit

Now tell me our boys dont look happy just coz they are on lead
    [​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.