Siberian Husky off lead walking??? Controversial

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Zuba, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zero

zero New Member

(Lovely picture)

I think for me I just wonder how different my NI are in comparisson and what the difference is (with recall)...My NI have been a real challenge to train reliable recall - definitly more challenging than alot of breeds, maybe even some Sibes! and I wouldn't let them run in a small park for instance because they if they don't come first time they are called they will be bothering someone somewhere - However I do let them run in large areas like the Forest because we are far away enough from anyone for them to be a nusance and they can dart back and forth. My NI can cover ground so fast but have no intention on going and going without me in sight, so as long as the area is safe and quiet we are good to go but they do need a big area to fully stretch their legs and not be a pain to other people.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Did you get your two together as pups by any chance? it can be a nightmare training a duo of pups anything nevermind recall :smt002
    I think to be honest it's all down to the individual dog, I've known some NI's that have taken to recall training easily others not so easy.
  4. zero

zero New Member

No Keena our girl was 9-10 months old when we got Takoda. Though granted she could have been a bit better trained at the time ideally, she was a good girl but going through her rebelious stage so even then she still taught the boy a few bad habits at that time. Now at nearly three she is great and Takoda once again is following in her footsteps and no doubt will be even better as he matures more.

I agree about the individual dog too.

I just have always wondered exactly how different NI and the original northern breeds are with recall as I have only had experiance of NI. Have you met some NI that have been more of a challenge than Huskies in your opinion? I'm quite curious if NI are just as much challenge.
  5. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    I've rehomed many more sibes than NI's so it's difficult to say. I would probably say as a whole sibes are slightly more difficult to train than Inuits, but having said that one of our most difficult of dogs to recall train was Sidney a NIxGSD, to this day he still has to wear his 100 foot long line, he won't run off but always chooses to go in the opposite direction to his owner. A springer, Georgie, was probably the next worse....
  6. zero

zero New Member

There's always one isn't there :lol:
  7. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    There is always the exception to the rule, my two younger ones are better in recall than my older boy, if I am out of sight or walk away from them the younger ones and I suppose I could say the older female will come a runnin if I walk away, my older lad will not be bothered and come when he pleases, I never have them all off the lead at the same time, as they would just run off together, I dont take the risk. if I want all of them off lead I go to an enclosed area for them to run off some steam, this gives me peace of mind. why risk it to prove a point that you have great re call? one day something far more interesting than you may turn up and that recall is out of the window, by then it could be too late.

Mo
  8. Heidi1

Heidi1 New Member

Name:
    Jill
    Hi - where can I get a 100ft long line from please or even 60ft. Our NI's recall is terrible so this would be a good training aid. We only have a 30ft one at the moment. Thanks.
  9. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    But you could say that for all breeds of dogs, is it really fair to keep them on lead if they have a good recall. Like with children you weight up quality of life verses risk, if you didn't, all secondary school kids would be walked to school everyday just in case. I agree though that there is always an exception to the rule, there's not one breed that can always be trusted off lead, just like there's not one breed that can never be trusted to go off lead :smt001

Just to add I personally would never walk an entire male or female completely off lead, I'll always have them neutered first, but that's probably me being over cautious.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2007
  10. AnneUK

AnneUK New Member

Name:
    Anne
    I bought 20 rolls of the lead material about 6months ago from a wholesaler (must be about 1000ft per roll) You could go to your local hardware store and ask him to measure out a 100ft piece of rope or washing line, then add a clip onto the end. I'll fish out the details for you though because with rope you have to be careful not to get rope burns and washing line can be too slippery.
  11. zero

zero New Member

Just wanted to say - if you do get a line that long do be careful with sudden lunges, they'll forget their on the line sometimes when it's that long - so just to point out that you'll need to be careful of their neck - maybe use a harness when using a line that long?

Hi Anne :) what's the reason for this? I can guess some of the reasons but just wanted to make sure :)
  12. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd

I agree it can apply to all breeds of dogs. working at a dogs home for lost or strays I see far more of the end results of dogs being allowed to run about with out a lead on. but on a personal note, my dogs get a good hour a day running about in a large enclosed area, this satisfies their need to be off lead, they also get to run alongside my bike on an individual basis, and also run with my rig. so they are not lacking in that department. on the oehter had IF we were walking our dogs in the middle of nowhere, with no wildlife in sight and I could see for miles around me, then I would let them off lead(individually).

Mo
  13. Cossack

Cossack New Member

I think everyone has their own thought on this but it still comes down to are you willing to take a risk with your dog, whatever the breed. I have been at both ends of this - huskies on lead and attacked by another breed that was let off lead, husky off lead that did run round in circles and then was curious to see what was round the next corner and off he went, and husky that came back. All of these experiences I personally found very distressing, as did the dogs in these cases.
    My dogs are well trained and I resent people who feel only owners who are bad trainers have problems. If this was the case it would be simpler to know who to avoid when walking your dogs! I have six huskies and two I could let off lead but do not as even they, if something interesting enough caught their attention would probably run off to investigate, even if only once - but this could be the time they were hurt or killed. The other four are all at different levels of obedience - due to differing personalities. The husky by nature is friendly and curious and will 'hunt' that rabbit it just saw. I have made this decision from working with my dogs and a personal view of what I feel comfortable with.
    So the advice is to not let them off lead in open areas as they are more likely to become distracted. I let mine off in enclosed areas and took them to puppy training classes and work them. I walk them all and each gets its own training in line with their abilities, age and personality, one even likes agility - providing we let him do it leisurely and let him pose to be admired at each obstacle. This is a lot more than most owners seem to do and in over 10 years I have not lost a dog. Yes I know people who let them off and have not lost one either - but that is also down to them working with and knowing the limits of their own dog then choosing what they will do.
    I love this trait in the husky that makes it slightly harder to trust off lead as they are very sociable. I do not find it a hardship to look after my dogs in this way and thought long and hard before getting them. I believe it is better to instruct new owners in all the traits good or bad and to recommend the safest measure for caring for that breed. Even if some do let the dog off and do not or have not as yet had an incident. Hindsight is a lot harder to live with. With this information each owner makes their own decision about the amount of risk they are willing to live with.
    I have dealt with too many rescue cases myself where breeders have not informed the new owners of the potential problems of their breed and it has ended up with a dead dog at worst or a dog being taken into rescue as the owners were not prepared. The breed clubs offer the advice for a reason. Shame so few are willing to admit that maybe it could be right to pass this on, instead of their own views - which may be right for them but not for new owners or the particular dog in question. Remember many people have different ideas on what constitutes good recall too.
    I am pleased some people have trained huskies so well that they feel able to let them run free. But this is probably the exception and could also be that you have areas with less distractions for recall. Whatever the reason good for you but it should not change the advice given to other owners. Most owners are probably not up to getting their husky to your level - through lack of experience if nothing else. Most who ask about off lead walking will only ever have one or two - you obviously are far more capable and confident enough to handle most situations.
  14. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    That's interesting that you say the most difficult dog to train was a NIxGSD. We run into a family regularly with 6 GSD crosses, varying ages and they really have their hands full with these dogs. To be honest I'm not 100% that they are NI, could be Mals or Sibes. (Pardon my ignorance) Absolutely beautiful and lovely temperament but I think out of the 6 only 2 are let off lead on the beach.
  15. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    excellent post Cossak
  16. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    I second that wholeheartedly..
  17. Fluffypawz

Fluffypawz New Member

Name:
    Alex
    Nice to hear a voice of balance on the subject, well done!
    I have one dog that when out walking has snapped his lead...... fortunately was too busy winding up the other dog being walked to hunt or run! PHEW!!!! Just ran off a few feet and then came back, run off, came back and so the story goes until we got home.
    Each dog is different, each handler is different, each situation is different.
    That being said, I would never say to anyone who had a dog from me, or asked my opinion, it was ok to let these beautiful dogs off lead, it only take a minute to lose a beloved dear friend.
  18. marieswolf

marieswolf New Member

Name:
    marie
    i have a 10 mnth old male sibe and he is quit happy on or off lead,
  19. punkykrista

punkykrista New Member

Name:
    krista
    I havnt read all 12 pages,but i am in the process of rescuing a poor husky that someone had let of the lead and hadnt properly cared for. he has damage t his legs where he got run. Letting a husky off even if you THINK they will come back is in no way being a resposible owner. having owned huskies now for seven years i take no risks with them escaping or letting them off the leash.
  20. marieswolf

marieswolf New Member

Name:
    marie
    try horse tack shops they do 60ft lung leads. they are stronger than dog leads and washing line as they are made to hold horses. they cost less than a tenner and are brill
    marie
  21. Ida

Ida New Member

Name:
    Ida
    I've been owned by 12 huskies and two malamutes, and from personal experience, don't trust them to stay. Mine were not professionally trained - so maybe there is a trick.
    But...when the cool wind blows, or a cat, or a squirrel or unobservant bird is in their sight, huskies become deaf.
    You have to admit, though, their sparkling spirit is endearing. It just gets harder to see when they are galloping up the road and disappearinbg into the woods.
    Ida

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.