Tail docking in a German Shorthaired Pointer? Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by gennyjohns, Jul 24, 2014.

1. gennyjohns

gennyjohns New Member

Name:
    Genny Johns

Tail docking in a German Shorthaired Pointer?

Hello, I am new to the German Shorthaired Pointer community. I currently have an English Springer Spaniel. She is a wonderful and sporty dog. When I got her from her breeder, her tail had already been docked. I prefer the look on her and it is helpful in many active situations (hunting, etc). I would not consider tail docking in a cosmetic manor, but I am wondering the preference for GSP owners as to how they do their tails. Thank you!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I don't own German Pointer but do own 6 JRT's they all have their tails, they don't have any problems & I do think they look better then JRT's with docked tails
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I guess you would find working folk generally prefer docking, whereas most everyone else prefers the natural look.

If it's purely for looks, I prefer natural - whatever the breed :)
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Way back in the days when I bred Griffons their tails were docked when they were 3 or 4 days old, because that was the norm and the KC breed regulation for showing n those days.

Now I know better, but I still sometimes see pictures of undocked Griffons and have to blink and realise that that is how they were meant to be.

Dogs are born with tails and their tails are, or once were, for a purpose. I have no problem with tails that are docked for a purpose in working dogs, but for others then no, it is not for me.
  6. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's likes this.
    I've just bought a Miniature Schnauzer and was glad to see his tail hasn't been docked because I feel it gives him a more pleasing overall look. Certainly with a breed like a Shar-Pei, who can be difficult to read, their tail is an essential part of their anatomy as often the only way to gauge what's going on in their heads is by watching the position and movement of their tail.
  7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I am against docking for cosmetic purposes, and was pleased when it stopped being normal practice.

However, I have to admit that, in those breeds which used to be routinely docked, I do prefer the look of the docked ones. Perhaps it's my age - the docked ones conform to the picture in my mind of what that particular breed 'should' look like.

My Standard Poodle Pepe is not docked - I've had oodles of poodles in the past, all of whom had been routinely docked - and I never quite know what to do with his tail! Bogie my cocker spaniel is nearly ten, and he was docked as a puppy. I find his shape more pleasing than all the undocked spaniels I see around.

But - even though I find docked tails more aesthetically pleasing in some breeds - I would always say that docking is wrong.
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    All my 6 have their tails even my previous Rottweiler's & Doberman's had their tails too, I love seeing dogs with a full tail
  9. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    I hate docked tails and after the unfortunate event of being in the waiting room of vets a few weeks ago while a litter of pups were being done, i hate it even more after hearing the noise coming out of them. I do know it has to be done before 3 days old and you have to have a gun licence, or atleast you do at our vets
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It is horses for courses! If you intend getting a dog with show bloodlines, the puppy will not be docked. There are only a few shows that KC rules will allow docked dogs to enter. (Those shows that do not charge the public for admission), so show breeders leave tails on.
    It is illegal for anyone except a vet to dock puppies, and those that are prepared to dock, restrict the procedure to bona fide working gundog lines. If you buy a genuine working bred gundog it will probably be docked as tail injuries tend to be common in the field.
  11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Name:
    Sondra
    I am getting my first GSP in July, and I know her tail will be docked. All of his dogs are champion hunters. The breeder does it himself, though. Bringing tiny puppies to a vet's office to have their tails done seems like a terrible idea to me. Sick dogs are at the vet. The puppies can be exposed to anything in the facility.
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    In that case, I presume that you are not resident in the UK. Here, docking is only permitted in puppies which are intended to be used as genuine working gundogs. The dog must be certified as such by both the breeder and the vet. surgeon, and the procedure may only be carried out by a vet.
  13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Name:
    Sondra
    No, I am in the U.S.- I don't know very much about this controversy, but as far as what I have read, using bands is less painful than the procedure the vet performs. And the puppies aren't exposed to pathogens.
    But, like I said, I do not have experience in docking. I am firmly against any other kind of body alterations, especially cropping and taping doberman ears. But now i'm getting off subject...

Please share your experience, I love learning more about these topics. I will have the pointer's tail docked either way- I am trusting the reputable breeder's expertise, since he has been doing it for over 30 years. But I would definitely like to know more
  14. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    6JRT's likes this.
    I'm sorry my hackles go up when people say " Oh I like the look of cropped ears and docked tails, it's cute"...if someone cut up your outer ear then snipped at your tailbone...yup I'm sure it's just as painful healing as it would be for a human. My poor boy, it looks like someone used paper shears on his stump. Fortunate they didn't get to his ears.
  15. inspiredbynature

inspiredbynature New Member

Name:
    Rob
    Interesting remarks that I'd like to hear more on but don't want to hijack the post. My lil girl has full papers with both parents as champion dogs. Parents as well as her and all siblings were docked. If you don't mind dropping me a pm I'd like to hear more on this since I'm confused now.
  16. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    KC will not allow any pedigree dog with papers to enter into their dog shows with a docked tail.
    Its illegal now to dock dogs tails here in UK as been for pass 8 or more years.
    Only fully working dogs with certificate to prove is working dog are allowed to have tail dock, but then they must still have 3/4 tail & not fully docked to a stump
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Don't worry about hijacking the post, it has been blank since March 31st. Ask away!

What I wrote remains correct for the UK. Of course your own laws would apply if you are posting from another country. Under KC rules you would not be allowed to exhibit a dog that had been docked - even if it had been done in another country - at any show which charges the public for admission. ie. Crufts. There are a few Champ. shows which do not charge admission, - Manchester, this week, being one example.
    To confuse you further, there may be a rule change in the pipeline, which would permit a docked imported dog to attend any show as long as it is entered, Not for Competition!
  18. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    Traditionally, HPR's such as pointers with no tail cover, would have the end two thirds removed. Spaniels have the end third removed, so they still have a good portion of tail, unlike those that used to appear in the show ring.
  19. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    The above is not true, you will see plenty of docked dogs at KC shows, including Crufts, any dog that was docked before the ban is still allowed to be shown,
  20. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    True... it is only shows that the venue charges an entry fee for the public that excludes Legally docked dogs to be shown (docked after April 07), but there is a campaign called "docked and denied" that is working to getting this ban reversed.

As Carole states you will be able to take docked /cropped dogs into shows in the "not for competition" category soon...
  21. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    It's where you pay for admission that you cannot show a dog, unless it's over a certain age, so it does rule out pretty much most shows I'm afraid. It's a shame, as the dogs that are docked to enable them to work to their full potential without tail injuries, are now unable to be shown against those who don't work, so haven't got proven ability.