What do you think he is? General Chat

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Crysania, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Crysania

Crysania New Member

Name:
    Crysania
    Azz, Malka and CaroleC like this.

What do you think he is?

We adopted Ben about a month ago from a Border Collie rescue. They're calling him a BC mix but he came from completely unknown origins. Best guess is that he's 2. He weighs about 42 pounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is his "excited tail"...it normally rests down.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Malka likes this.
    I'd say collie mix of some sort.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    What a lovely boy - he looks a happy soul. Possibly Border Collie x Retriever. It used to be quite a popular cross for obedience.
  5. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Colliex. Maybe husky or Irish
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Whatever the mix is, Ben is gorgeous.

This is a picture of a Border Collie x Retriever - do you think it resembles Ben?

[​IMG]
  7. Crysania

Crysania New Member

Name:
    Crysania
    Yes! He looks so much like Ben!

I thought he might be a similar mix to Dahlia, who we think is a BC/Golden Retriever mix. She definitely takes more after the Retriever side. She's a bigger girl (50 pounds, no taller than Ben but has a much broader chest), has the retriever bump on her head more than he does, etc.

[​IMG]
  8. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Collie/huskie...I'm kissing my computer screen. Our Ferdie was a pure bred 100% BC, the shelter even gave us her papers. She was just too much for me to manage. But they are fantastic with the right owner, still miss her.
  9. Crysania

Crysania New Member

Name:
    Crysania
    Interesting about the husky though. I'm not seeing it...what makes you think Husky?

And BCs are definitely a handful. So are mixes! Ben does have an off switch, though he takes a fair amount of work to get there. A few miles of walks a day and some play in the backyard. I feel like I'm constantly on the go with him, though that's settled a bit since we first got him almost a month ago.
  10. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Just something in the build in the 3rd and 6th pictures.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    In my opinion, I would expect a higher set ear from a Husky/BC cross, ie. a pricked to a semi-pricked cross. Ben's ear set is, to me, more Retriever like, and his muzzle and skull width is greater than that of a BC, giving a softer expression.

Although this cross is often referred to as a Coltriever, this is actually the KC affix of the Bradley's, who bred these dogs near Nottingham. Up to fairly recently they were working regularly in obedience.