I want to go out! Behaviour

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Pork1epe1, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Azz and 6JRT's like this.

I want to go out!

Now that winter is well and truly here, my front door is kept shut which means the dogs have to tell me when they want to go out . Since living in this house I've had four dogs and each one has, or had, their own way of letting me know when they want to go outside.

M'boi my first Pei used to stand in front of the door and give a "yip" which she also used to when we were out in the garden and she wanted to get my attention. Tiny Chloe gave a short sharp bark and if I didn't go to the door she'd come and plonk herself in front of me and give another bark.

Georgina, who has moaning down to a fine art, will stand in front of the door, whining and she'll whine and whine and whine until you finally open the door! Gwylim bless him, very rarely asks to go out ... as soon as he hears Georgina he queues up behind her, then follows her out. The only time he'll ask is if big sister isn't there and then he'll stand at the door, and howl his head off which always has the desired effect if only because it sounds so eerie!

The different ways dogs communicate with their owners fascinates me and I'm sure every dog has its own individual way of communicating its desires to their humans ... What do(es) your dog(s) do?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have just asked Pereg and she looked at me as if I really ought to know by now.

When she needs to go out during the night, which I hate but it is unfortunately connected to her condition and medication, she shakes her head - loudly - ears flapping, tags crashing.

And in case that has not already woken me, she will have a good scratch.

She then leaps off the bed and waits for me to struggle off and get on my chair to let her out. She goes out, I go to the loo myself, she comes back in and we both go back to bed.

During the day the door is open so she can go out at will, unless it is bucketing down, in which case the door is closed [or the rain comes in] and Pereg Will Not Go Out because Pereg Does Not Do Rain.

But sometimes when the door is open when it is fine but sort of on the chain so not fully open when I do not want people just walking in, and the little booger will just sit there until I open it. She has to be bursting before she asks, and even then she does not ask, SHE DEMANDS! :005:
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Tweed will dash between us and the door until we let her out. Eddie paws at the door, but quite gently. If we don't notice he lets himself out, (lever handles, but the doors do open inwards). We only notice that he's been out when the temperature drops, as he's never learned to close them.
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Chico the Chihuahua just goes to the door and keeps looking at us until someone notices. Bogie the spaniel will whine and scratch at the door.

Pepe must be a bit thick because it doesn't occur to him to ask to go out until he's absolutely desperate and then he throws himself at the door in a panic. Only happens rarely - normally when he's raided the bin and eaten something he shouldn't.

When they want to come in, Bogie will announce his presence again by barking and scratching - Pepe and Chico will wait silently. Though I do know that if I forget they're out, they will eventually bark - unlike the late Gertie, who would never dream of doing anything as unladylike as making a noise. She was once out in the garden alone for hours - I thought she was with my husband, he thought she was with me. I felt dreadful!
  6. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Don't deal with it lol.
    Insulated dog door, which goes out to a giant size dog house with the back cut off, that also has a insulated dog door on it.
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I have a large cat - small dog flap which my dogs use over winter months, yet will not use it during the summer they will go in/out by the French doors.
  8. pugluva

pugluva Member

Name:
    carol
    My dogs don't really ask to go out there always a sleep in a bundle on the sofa they only move when they want food so I put them out then lol
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Mine just stand by the door, if I don’t take any notice they come up to me then go to door, very occasionally if it’s at night I get a gentle nudge and cold nose in my face.
  10. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Chloe comes up to me and growls a deep throaty growl when she wants to go out.
    She has even done this during the during night and it can be a bit unnerving to wake up to hear this odd noise next to the bed :eek:
  11. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Miniature Schnauzers are such quirky little dogs! Gwylim often wakes me in the morning by jumping on the bed and sticking his cold nose in my face ... and as he's usually had a drink of water beforehand ... his wet beard as well!
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Yuk wet beard on your face first thing in the morning, but I suppose it better then being sneeze on & having a dog pass wind in your face :confused:
  13. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    Pikey gets excited when he sees me pick up the leash. The action that surprised me is, although very excited, he goes to his water bowl and almost drinks it dry before he lets me put on the leash. I had one Beagle before Pikey and his behavior was completely different.
  14. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Sophie would stand there in a puddle of her own pee insisting she doesn't have to go out. Callie doesn't bark or whine, just meaningful glances at the door and dancing a bit. The most obnoxious about going out is our ginger cat Levon.

He will meow progressively louder while scratching the doors, windows, walls. There was a loose section of window in the kitchen one day, he's skinny but strong. He managed to worm his way out through that space...crazy cat
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I
    Am
    Not
    Laughing

[​IMG]

Much
  16. jfn

jfn New Member

Name:
    Juan
    We have a dog that starts to contort, do kind of her tap-dance, waging her tail and do little noises (happy growl type of thing) when wanting to go out.
    It's her way of showing it. Pretty effective. We end up understanding :)