Considering a small breed... Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by STGSD, Oct 21, 2012.

1. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah

Considering a small breed...

Have been thinking for a while now that we wouldn't mind adding a small breed to the pack! Although I rather like some Chi's, Pomeranians and wee terrier mixes I never thought i'd seriously think about having a small breed dog, but I am!

Although we could easily afford to 'run' a small dog, we are not in the position to pay out for one atm if that makes sense! We want to rescue, but even the donation would be a tight squeeze atm. So when the time is right, or when the dog comes to us (wouldn't be the first time!) we will most likely have another member! It all started when a wee stray JRT stayed with us for a night, she was clearly a well rounded dog and fitted in amazingly, after one night we were smitten and tbh a little gutted when we had her chip scanned and got hold of her owner! The boys were the best behaved they'd ever been that night too!

Anyway just looking for some input really, what breeds are recommended etc. I do love Swedish Vallhunds and Shiba Inu's, but unlikely i'll see any of these in rescue! It almost has to be a female, from experience the boys are very mannerly with the ladies and size is no problem, not sure we want to risk any dominance etc with the size difference there would be.

So to sum up, not too bothered on age. Needs to be good with other dogs as this will greatly benefit the boys. Will need to be ok to be left - although will have other dogs for company and mostly likely come to work with me. We have a parrot so wouldn't want a dog that is constantly trying to get at him, our dogs keep out of his way which is brill! Plenty of energy is good, needs to be ok with long walks and maybe be my jogging partner!

Although it isn't a breed that ever appealed to me, we are thinking a small JRT bitch will be the ideal fit. Small but full of energy and robust! Every female JR I see seems to have a good temperament, and quite often they are off lead and following their owner quite loyally!

Thoughts please :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    JRT"S and their crosses seem to be always in rescue ,so when the time is right the right dog will be there for you
  4. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    This was another factor for me Murf, like you say so many in rescue.. yet so many still being bred :(
  5. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Have your boys had the snip?
  6. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Yeah both have.
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I love the parson russell type terriers - I like the scruffy look :) You could consider Border Terriers (although not that many in rescue) or how about my fave small dog, a working cocker spaniel :)
  8. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    border terrier, border terrier, border terrier! Fantastic breed!

I have met some really lovely jr's and have met some dodgy ones but I think that's the same for all breeds.

Lurcher? Depends how small you want to go? Whippet crossse are smallish. Corrie doesn't take up much space and doesn't eat much lol.

Helen
  9. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    My parents have a Border Terrier, i begged them for a dog for years and eventually we got Ozzie! When I was younger I said i'd have a BT of my own one day! But tbh although I like them they just don't appeal to me so much anymore! Small JR size is ideal but might consider larger, its more about the right temperament. We love lurchers and might consider a small whippet x.

I think it will be a case of stumbling across the dog as is often the case with rescuing. Have been lookig out in papers etc as although I dont like this kind of advertising sometimes people advertise dogs they need to rehome there.
  10. alexgirl73

alexgirl73 New Member

Name:
    Alex
    I'm in much the same situation as you :D I really want a small breed dog at some point in the next year (we said when Rangers turns 2 in May). I'm leaning towards a Chihuahua, but there aren't too many of those in rescue.

I know we def couldn't take on another big dog, so a wee one it will have to be.
  11. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I'd love another GSD but we too couldn't atm. I like Chihuahuas as long as they aren't too spoilt! They certainly have enough energy! Although I wouldnt condone cross breeding, i think JRT x Chi's make great wee dogs! Also like min pins but not many about either!
  12. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    When you looking to get her ST?
  13. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    JRTs are awesome it's true, and they have lovely smiles

[​IMG]
  14. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Depends on initial donation/price for dog really and when we can afford that.

Aww:007:
  15. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever New Member

Name:
    Robyn
    I wasn't a small dog person, but I have been converted because of my mums westies.

I would love a cairn terrier, simply because they are more practacale coat. The westies look more like scotties after coming back a walk with me lol

Or any scruffy terrier mix, that I could do OB, agility ect with. :)

GSD's also look quite nice with terriers. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are several terrier x puppies on the many tears rescue site ATM....
  16. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Thanks Robyn, love those pics :)
  17. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    You know what, with you saying that, I am quite fancying a Cavalier. I do have a big soft spot for (well bred) Westies too!
  18. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    Lol we've just decided a small breed is the dog for us too - hadn't really seriously considered it but after much discussion and much mental debate we've come to this decision ourselves. And indeed we're really in the same position as you finance-wise so it will be a year or so away if we go for a puppy or possibly a bit sooner if it's a rescue. :grin: xx

We've decided on a Papillon though which don't seem to come up in rescue so much. Wish you well with your search!
  19. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Aww Paps are lovely wee dogs! I have a couple that come into work, such sweeties!

We have no concerns with the costs of keeping a third dog - as long as it is a small breed. All being well it'll be on a raw diet which will cost next to nothing for a small breed, and I work in a pet shop where I can take stock and pay later and OH works in a vets (PDSA) where after 6 months of working there we can take our dogs there when necessary for next to nothing and I think its coming up to 6 months that he has been there. He is temporary atm covering a lady on maternity leave but another lady has said she is looking to move on soon plus they have moved to a new premises which is double the size so it is looking positive that he will have a permanent position. Our dogs are insured anyway.
    It is just that initial cost that we don't have spare atm. I've been chatting to a lady about the possibility of rescuing a dog that has come from Romania, some lovely wee ladies needing homes and some are brought over to fosters in UK but the fosterers are too far away from us to afford donation and travel etc.

I called someone last night about a 7yr JRT bitch who they needed to rehome but she's been homed. Also seen an ad for a Chihuahua, but he was male, again they weren't bothered about charging just desperately needed to find a home for him but they said he barked at everything which wouldn't be ideal just now!
  20. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    most rescues are 105 pound and upwards, but you would hope with that they will be health checked ,up to date with jabs ,neuterd if needed...
  21. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Yeah Zeus' donation was 105 when we got him, that has gone up to 125 now. We are happy to donate to rescues when we can but won't be supporting any byb's or people trying to rehome an older dog for hundreds!! There are plenty of JRT litters advertised and some are quite cheap, but we will always prefer to rescue.