GSD movement in slow motion Videos

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Ben Mcfuzzylugs, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Thanks for that, I found that very interesting. Georgie was my first and only gsd, who actually pushed himself forward from behind, exactly as you have described above as the leg is slightly behind the hip. This is the way I like to see them moving. However, my current gsd I feel, is of your 2nd explaination above, i.e. where the leg has to be slightly in front of the hip, which can then only push the pelvis UP, giving a rather strange looking gait at WALK. However, when watching her in action at a trot or extended trot (which is by far her preferred gait, never a walk unless she's told to!) then everything appears totally normal with a nice straight topline which never moves.

One of my pet hates with the gsd, some of them, seem to have this arched look about their back which I really don't like, and if my dog ever did that, then I'd worry she had a pancreatic problem, because thankfully, she never arches it like that.

I find this very interesting, as I've always loved the particular gait of the gsd driving itself forwards effortlessly.:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    And on the basis you know next doors dog is a cripple, you assume the two dogs in the photos will be cripples :shock:

Apart from you being extremely rude to one of our members about her dogs, you base a opinion on nothing more than an assumption and the fact someone you know who has had GSD`s that have not reached double figures , your imagination seems to be running in overdrive as to why they died before reaching their teens.

I guess to make these assumptions you knew the dogs medical history, health results, the breeders and their breedign practices.

OR, are you just flying in the wind with your accusations as to why these particular dogs and those you "know" will be crippled and die young :x

I think you owe Arantius an apology for implying her dogs are cripples :shock:
  4. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Such an emotive topic.

My view, for what it is worth, is that the two dogs shown in the photos, while not being my preferred type of GSD, are not particularly extreme. It would be nice to see them moving. The WG showlines always seem to have fabulous heads but, for me personally, I am not keen on the sloping topline. Of course the topline should have shape, but I prefer to see very gentle sloping.

While at a GSD fun day, myself and J&C commented on the awful movement of some of the WG showline dogs while walking. Once they were gaiting, you could see what the breeders were aiming for - however, I like to see a dog that can move at all paces comfortably, and some of the WGSLs seem to struggle with this.

I do not know enough about movement to make any really educated replies, but I know what I like and many of the WGSLs just don't appeal to me.
  5. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Thank you for that very informative post Ben - certainly food for thought there.

The heads on both of the dogs pictures are absolutely stunning, btw. As Moobli already said, the WGSL dogs are not my cup of tea either but I'm sure none of us sane people are claiming they will be crippled in a few years!
  6. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    I said at least IMO - an opinion to which I am entitled. I did not imply that Arantius's dogs are cripples, I did not imply anything, I said categorically that IMO those poor beautiful dogs would end up as cripples. I have seen it time and time again - GSDs are the most popular breed round here, and I know of many, not just in the village but on the many walking areas that we frequent in the countryside around here. Very sadly most of them show these deformities from an early age, and end up with what I consider to be horrendously sloping backs and virtually walking on their hocks. Very very sad.

The old boy I mentioned who lived to a good old age, especially bearing in mind his size, had a lovely topline and no walking on his hocks. He was a magnificent dog and sweet natured with it.

I would hate to cause offence to anyone though, so if Arantius is offended, I apologise to her most sincerely. :blush:
  7. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Never claimed to be sane ;-)
  8. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    If you want to see a dog moving at all paces comfortably, you only have to watch my boys ... they are poetry in motion. How can a dog that cannot move comfortably at all paces possibly be healthy? It is either fit for purpose, or it is not.
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I am trying to give a balanced and diplomatic view ;-) As I said SOME WGSL do not appear to move comfortably at walk - to me, that is incorrect. A dog should be able to move comfortably at all paces. I have not seen the dogs in the photos move, so cannot give an informed opinion on those particular dogs.
  10. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Teeeheee exactly :mrgreen:
  11. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    I was Going to say all of this, but BMc, beat me to it.
  12. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    "Scores ?" What about Eye Sight---OF THE HUMAN?
    Do not mention "Scores" if the "Best score" starts re-shaping them, like this!
  13. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    Ok ...playing devils advocate here ... ..why is this seen as wrong ?:

[​IMG]

and yet this is seen as right ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

either a curved topline is detrimental ....or it's not..

The GSD's rear stance in the first pic looks no different to the other breeds shown so why the double standards ? ....- i'm puzzled why it's seen as constructionally detrimetal in only the GSD ...don't get me wrong GSD's built like this are not my personal cup of tea but it's a bit of a witch hunt to single out one breed like this when so many others are every bit as roached !

...and as for this .....

[​IMG]

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  14. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    Hi ya. I really don't know about the other Dogs. I just know about German Shepherd Dogs. That is why i commented on the title. The GSD was not originally like this, and that is why we are so against the change of the Breed. I have only ever owned GSD's ( for over half of my life) so i have seen first hand, how this Detrimental change has taken place.
  15. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    PS; Sorry, i forgot tht you had BSD's. Can you imagine how you would feel. If the shape of thos gorgeous Dogs had changed, so drastically?
  16. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    The other dogs, I am guessing, originated to have such a shape to their back for a reason (speed perhaps)? The GSD never had such a sloping topline until the last 15-20 years (at a rough guesstimate).

As health tests/scoring etc has confirmed (regarding certain aspects of the anatomy at least) the WGSL GSD is no less healthy than other types/shapes of GSD, so I personally have no real issue with the WGSL GSD other than it is not pleasing to my personal eye in the more extreme cases. However, thousands worldwide own, breed and exhibit WGSLs and so the old adage comes to mind - you can't please all of the people all of the time.
  17. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    From previous posts, I think I can guess Bijou's answer to that :lol: Be interesting to hear though :grin:
  18. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

^^ this
    Also the working grays look like that - they look like that because over time breeding the fastest dogs has given them that shape. All the grays I have seen have been able to move and stand well, none of them stand on their hocks
    With GSD's the shape has been invented based on what people *think* might make for a good worker - with no actual proof - the working dogs and origonal ones never looked like that

and yes there are some breeds that are horrors, Im not saying they are correct - as I have said before a dogs should be able to stand, walk run jump eat breath and see without being limited by structure ot excessive skin
  19. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Indeed - 2 words that perhaps I should familiarise myself with more. As I get older, I just seem to get more cranky and outspoken, can't stand beating about the bush, I really should learn to be more diplomatic though :blush: :lol:
  20. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Yes, to me the whippet, the saluki, the bedlington, despite the sloping back all appear normal simply because the sloping back does not then descend down into the hocks and give the appearance of a dog whose hocks have collapsed - as happens with the GSDs. The slope of the back continues down the rear end, down the thighs to the hocks, which are almost touching the ground in some GSDs, so bad is whatever this problem is called - fallen haunches, or whatever.

Whereas the 3 dogs mentioned above are not down on their hocks. The little guy with the roach - not sure of the breed - I agree looks a bit weird, and I can see that he is not as "up on his toes" for want of a better phrase than the other 3 mentioned above. But he still looks OK in the hock department to me, just not so much so as my above 3.
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    :lol: I think I have gone the other way, and am more able to see the bigger picture and give more balanced and diplomatic answers than when I was a teenager and everything back then was black or white! :lol: :lol: