GSD movement in slow motion Videos

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Ben Mcfuzzylugs, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Then you havent watched enough videos demonstrating the strain and pressure on animal joints. Have a google. Tis good. ;)
    Wont pass comment on dressage either. :(
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    I am so disapointed. That you could even give time to this argument. Never mind, in any way, defend it. Please... Just look. Don't be silly!
  4. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    BSD's were originally bred to be living fences too - just like the GSD - look at the difference in their movement

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xD6E6ZJzwU

what the GSD world has done is a total travesty :shock:
  5. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    You are absolutely right. I said to Smokeybear, a while back. That some BSD's look more like the very first GSD, than some GSD's do! :017: If you know what i mean?:-(
  6. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

agree it makes no sense with both breeds being bred for the same job

well actually yes it does - the working line GSD's can still walk properly, BSD's can still walk properly - its a interpritation of a standard and breeding to that rather than breeding for ability
    Our arrigance as people to say 'we want it to do this job so think it should be this shape to do this job best
    Rather than just breeding from the dogs who do the job best and let nature choose what the best structure to actually do the job day in day out is
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I have watched a minute of so of each clip posted, and admit to cringing at many of the dogs structure and movement :-( I just don't see the reason behind breeding dogs like this. I can't see how it can be functional, and it certainly is not attractive either imo.
  8. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Much better, and perfect choice of music!
  9. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    I found that much nicer to watch than the vidoes I have watched earlier in this thread.
  10. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    ..ah yes ..the modern day BSD has retained it's original shepherd dog construction and looks startingly like the early GSD 's did ( when they were still doing the job they wre bred for ! )

here's a GSD from 1907 -

[​IMG]

and a BSD from the same period :

[​IMG]

..and finally a modern day BSD

[​IMG]

there is no doubt the BSD (along with the Dutch Shepherd) have changed very little and still remain true to the original 'blueprint' of the European Shepherd Dog - perhaps because they have not suffered from being over popular and remain safely in the hands of a relatively few breeders.

The GSD's popularity has been it's downfall - that and falling victim to breeders who have lost sight of what the dog was originally bred for !
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
  11. Deanoh

Deanoh New Member

Name:
    Deano
    Here's a quote from the breed standard.

"Hindquarters

Overall strong, broad and well muscled, enabling effortless forward propulsion. Upper and lower thigh are approximately of equal length. Hind angulation sufficient if imaginary line dropped from point of buttocks cuts through lower thigh just in front of hock, continuing down slightly in front of hindfeet. Angulations corresponding approximately with front angulation, without over-angulation. Seen from rear, the hind legs are straight and parallel to each other. The hocks are strong and firm. The rear pasterns are vertical. Any tendency towards over-angulation of hindquarters, weak hocks, cow hocks or sickle hooks, is to be heavily penalised as this reduces firmness and endurance in movement."

Did we watch the same video?
    What has the size of the show ring got to do with anything? My dog does not go wobbly when it is in a small space.
  12. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    That is brilliant, and really interesting. Thank you for sharing.
    ps: Don't make these too popular, too good to spoil!:) :)
  13. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Oh Dear oh dear have none of you learnt my type of GSD is the working lines(both the sports & stock working)not the showlines of any kind be they Alsatians, US or any other type.

I've only ever owned GSDs from working lines(my first was from 2 sheep working imports owned by Gwen Barrington, Brittas)both my bitches parents had HGH qualifications as well as working the sheep daily on Mrs Barrington's estate.

I like few of the show versions of any herding breed(including Border Collies & Bearded Collies)as they are all so removed from the dogs that can & DO do the work they were developed for.
  14. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Can you show us any pictures of your dogs please? I don't think anyone was critising your dogs during this thread - merely showing concern about the exaggeration of some show line GSDs.
  15. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

I dont recal this thread being about the type of dog you prefer
    I posted a clip I found very sad - you defended it and wrongly made assumptions about the types of dogs I like - and people questioned your defense of the video
    Nothing to do with the types of dogs you prefer
    I 'prefer' WSD's but I can be sickened by what some people are doing to other breeds
  16. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Not a critizm of the GSD type I prefer ????? Nowhere in my quote did I write that I liked the way this bitch was moving, just trying to explain why she looked so bad, the ring is indoors & ergo must be smaller than the half football pitch size that GSDs are usually moved round, the lead/collar look taut pulling her upwards at the front

As for the US clips they were posted tongue in cheek

As for my dogs I only have one decent photo on my laptop as the more recent dogs were rescues

But this is my type of GSD

[​IMG]

Karat, my friend's homebred VPG male, temperament par excellent & of course with good hips/elbows etc & a full set of VPG qualifications & Breed surveyed for life. No showline dogs behind him at all

Mind you I do also like the HGH type like this dog who is not standing in a typical show stance

[​IMG]

His pedigree is all German Bloodlines & he is a pretty good free mover too
  17. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    It's because some IDIOTS buy them! Criminal.:twisted: :twisted:
  18. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    Thank you Deanoh. I do have a problem with this, so called, "DEFENCE!!!":017: :x
  19. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    I wonder if, Ben m. Could you check your pm please?
  20. GSD-Sue

GSD-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Pity more of you didn't come to the British sieger & see the difference in the same dog gaiting on & off lead, Some still had a problem granted as their pasterns were too long. A fault in some of the breed at present but for most the drive when not pulling into the lead showed quite a different movement & all dogs over two had to gait off lead. The working class gaited in groups off lead but the other open class did so individually.. As for the youngster who was down on her pasterns it could be a problem but it could just be a phase, had one bitch who grew totally out of preportion at times back legs to long then font legs too long & her mouth did it too overshot undershot etc but as an adult she was fine & moved well.
  21. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    That Does soun interesting. Any pictures, please?