Whoop! Whoop! New puppy alert!!!! (Malinois) General Chat

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by maxine, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    I have found that show line breeders deny there is a split and working line say there is. I would have to agree and say I do think there is a considerable work and show line split within the mals (not so much the other 3 types).
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
  4. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    That's interesting. It does seem that there must be a split though between the uber drivey working types and the show types.
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Haha wonder who that could be??? :017: :005: :005:
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Ooh that certainly sounds as though it could be worth a look ... :mrgreen:
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    That is my (limited) experience also.
  8. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Teehee Zak has a lot to answer for!! My oh's sanity for one :lol:

Very exciting! I watched a Joutenheim Mal competing in obedience at Crufts this year, was a stunning dog. :)
  9. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Surely the fact that the show lines and and working lines look very different is indicative of the fact there is a split?

Someone on here said the only difference between the BSD's should be coat. The show line Malinois to my eye looks exactly the same as the other three types but obviously with the different coat. The working Mal doesn't look much like the other BSD's at all.

Would a working Malinois be happy with a life that is predominantly being a pet? because everything I have read about them is totally to the contrary of that.
  10. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine

I share your concern about the high drive working Malinois which I discussed with a breeder today. She describes her dogs as show line and says that in the right home they make excellent pets.
  11. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
  12. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Cracking little pups! do they have pups available then?

It sounds as though the show line dogs would be far more suited to a predominately pet home. I suppose the only downside is that you don't know if they will meet your aspirations for the activities you want to try.

That said, if you have never owned this type of dog before (or properly competed in the activities you are interested in), I suppose the whole experience will be a learning curve for you because you won't have any preconcieved expectations about the breed.
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Well IME they DO have an off switch, of course it is up to the owner/handler to find it. ;)
  14. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    They have three bitch pups available, don't know which ones yet though.

My priority is that the dog is happy and not driving my long suffering OH nuts when I'm at work. On balance a show line dog may be a safer bet.
  15. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    That was Dave Howell's male, Jotunheim Just the One, he was qualified to work at Crufts LAST year but as Dave was judging he had to postpone it until this year.

His dog is the first Malinois in the UK to have won a "ticket" in Obedience.

Kamal Fernandez works a Jotunheim male too in Obedience, Strut! :)
  16. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    I have a GSP with a dodgy off switch which seems to malfunction when I'm at work.
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I would very much doubt if a show line Malinois could COMPETE in Schutzhund, of course it could participate, there is a big difference.

High drive dogs are not necessary to compete successfully in Working Trials, especially if you do not want to compete in the PD stake.

Have you gone to any clubs/trials where Malinois have competed to talk to the owners and discuss where they got them from and what they are like to live with?
  18. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
  19. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    I suspected that may be the case. I haven't spoken to any owners yet, is there a WT forum?
  20. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Very pretty though! A Mali with a woolly coat.
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Awww beautiful :007:

The Mali pups look little crackers too. I don't know enough about the breed to give a qualified answer to whether they would suit your needs or not though. Best have a chat to Bijou.

Good luck.