Whoop! Whoop! New puppy alert!!!! (Malinois) General Chat

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by maxine, Jul 8, 2012.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    ooh how exciting! keep us all updated :mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
  4. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
  5. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    That's interesting. I wasn't aware that they don't have an off switch at all.
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Possibly, as with border collies, some do, some don't? Research your lines and breeders carefully. Are you after a working line or show line?
  7. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    I don't think there is a very big split, but I want a bitch that is drivey enough to really enjoy classes, WT and possibly Schutzhund. She will however be a pet and at home with my OH when I'm at work. I intend to talk to breeders in the hope they will be honest enough to say if that won't suit one of their pups.
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I found with all the working line GSD breeders I contacted that they were totally honest about whether my lifestyle would suit one of their dogs. Hopefully you will have the same transparency with the Malinois breeders, and of course any reputable breeder will want their pups going to the right homes. Good luck in your search.
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I meant to add that I thought there was quite a considerable split between the working and show? The working being bred for more extreme drives?
  10. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Did you have to speak to a lot of breeders? Were they recommended to you?

I not in a rush, in fact delaying until October would suit me quite well.
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    My original plan was to get a pup next year, and that is why I was contacting various breeders (who had been recommended to me by a few people within the WL GSD world - police and schutzhund peeps). I contact probably around 4 or 5 breeders to query as to their possible future breeding plans and whether their type of dog would suit my lifestyle.

And then I saw Zak's photo on a working dog forum (he wasn't for sale at that point) and just fell in love :007: All plans to wait for a pup went out of the window when I found out he was possibly for sale. The rest is history :lol:
  12. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    ......and I know someone else who was going to wait, but didnt might have something to do with Kirsty's Zak;-) ;-)
  13. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Well....I've spoken to a show line breeder who says her dogs are plenty drivey enough to do WT but she can't say how good they'd be. She is more concerned about their temperament, conformation and whether they make good pets. She also only uses health tested parents. The sire is abroad, which enlarges the gene pool. She has a litter who are currently 6 weeks old and have been raised in the house with her family.

Hmmmn I'm going to have a think!
  14. Rookgeordiegirl

Name:
    Jeanette
    ..................and when are you going to see them lol:grin:
  15. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    .........I'm just thinking about it. ;-)
  16. Rookgeordiegirl

Name:
    Jeanette
    .......thats all I did, now we have Cuba lol:grin:
  17. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    I must be strong, I must be strong, I must be ........
  18. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Why not send bijou a PM, would be someone who may be able to point you in the right direction.

I may be wrong on this, but I am sure she has said that the BSD does not have a split in types (working/show)

Maybe an idea to have a word.
  19. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    The debates i have seen elsewhere about the working/showline spilt get very heated ....
    Some really really devout Mal owners out there ..lol
  20. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Good idea, I'll do just that. I had heard that there wasn't a split too, but having spoken to someone who describes herself as a show line BSD breeder of all four types, I'm not so sure now! She was quite concerned about the way some people are producing aggressive Malinois and selling them as "working line" just to meet a demand inspired by UTube and tv programmes.
  21. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    I'll keep my head down then. I come on here for some peace and quiet after a hectic shift at work!