Differences in show and working labs! Discussions

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by kammi_sparky123, Apr 12, 2012.

1. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:

Differences in show and working labs!

What would you class as the "main" differences?
    Also pics to show the differences would be good! I have googled it, and live next door to a working line lab, but just wanting more pics to get a bigger idea of the difference :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    My brother's Lab, Lucky, is from a British 'show' kennel/breeder. He's your 'typical' show Lab - stocky, shorter legs, thick neck, very strong dog.

A 'typical' working Lab is lighter in build, usually leaner, with longer legs and also a smaller head.

In terms of temperament: some working Labs are higher energy and need far more stimulation and exercise. That said, the show-type Labs I know have a great deal of energy and need a good 90 minutes plus of exercise per day.

I think that *some* working Labs can be more highly strung, while show Labs are a bit more laid back.
  4. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    Show Labradors all seem to fit the same *blueprint* which is fairly obvious, as breeding to a breed standard over many years, tends to narrow down the variations you see. If you look at past show and dual champions, there was a much wider variation in the types of dogs rewarded in the show ring. If I'm perfectly honest, I don't like all show Labs, I find the trend at the moment for some people involved with showing *liking* short legged over done Labs is appalling, there are some nice show bred examples that are lovely, why on earth people seem to like really heavy overdone dogs with no legs is beyond me. At the other end of the extreme, I don't like working bred dogs that are too fine and don't really look like Labradors, although I still enjoy watching them work.

Other differences are proven ability and health testing. Both my dogs are outcrosses, with strong show sires, and both are quite different to some extent.
  5. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    To be honest, the *drive* thing is a bit of a misnoma, the worst complaints I hear from new puppy owners are from those who've bought pet/show bred or worse Labs. Working Labs have an off switch, the OH's dogs worked several hundred days last year in total over the working season, one Lab did over sixty days in total, and yet he is incredibly laid back and happy to lie there for a fuss. Like any dogs, they need something to do, but all Labs do really, you're lucky (or unlucky depending how you look at it) if you get one that doesn't. I've got one, Indie, she will happily plod along behind you off lead anywhere, and is a real character, she's mainly show bred.
  6. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Thanks both!
    I have always preferred the look of the working line labs, but just wanted to make sure they were the right dog for me! :D
  7. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    I like moderate show Labs, and substantial working lines, so a bit of both. Here's a few pics of my girls, they're both moderate from mainly show lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

yes i have wondered this because the labs, spanials and collies i have met who are eating their owners houses are show/pet bred ones
    The working dogs I have met - liek Jet&copper actually have much ore focus and desire to work and to please
  9. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Such beautiful dogs! Thanks for the pictures! :D
  10. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    No worries, when you're ready to start looking for a pup, please shout, I will help put you in touch with a good breeder if I can.
  11. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    That would be amazing! It probably won't be for a couple of years though... so just hope you are still around! :lol:
  12. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    My God I hope I'm still around too, lol. I know a few people who work their dogs, if they don't have the right litter/pup, I'm sure they'll be able to help point the right direction for you.
  13. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    I think I worded that badly :shock: I meant still around on here :lol:

Your dogs really are stunning!
  14. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    Lol, I'm around on here and a few other forums, if you google my name there's loads about me on the internet, on various forums and websites. And thank you, I'm biased, but I love my dogs to pieces, including the pesky black flatcoat pup!
  15. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    The good thing about Labs is that they are so numerous, you can get exactly what want in terms of looks and temperament.

Both "types" make good pets provided they are from good breeders.
  16. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Thanks all!

I would love a male lab, but with Alfie being male, do you think there would be any issues? Like should I go for a female instead?
  17. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    Depends on the individual dogs, I have three bitches together, two entire, and never have any problems, yet lots of people will tell you shouldn't keep multiple bitches together. I'll soon be up to four all being well, and the same goes for dogs, there are plenty that keep several dogs together, I know lots of folks with multiple entire dogs, and they don't have many problems, the occasional scuffle which you will get between different sexes as well in any case.
  18. kammi_sparky123

Name:

Alfie is neutered and the lab would be the same.

What is about labradors that keeps you "into" the breed?
    (that goes to anyone :D )