GSD takes Group at Westminster Showing

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Moobli, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

I did :( :(
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    it is sad. but dont you see that they were, and still in denial, that there is anything wrong. "they" say we dont know what we are talking about. or we have never shown gsd's so we dont know. it only takes a pair of eyes, a bit of common sense, and a genuine cocern for animals to notice the problems!. it is disrespectful and dishonest of them, to say anything else!!!!
  4. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Had a look at the working group too and all those awful cropped ears on the dobes and danes make me feel ill :(

Will watch the videos at home though
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Very interesting how different people see different things in the same dog.
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    And there in lays the crux of the matter.

EVERYONE will see things differently, breed stanards are written in stone, but the person or persons reading them, may all interprate it differently.
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I just watched a bit of the Border Collie group and they look more like the shape and substance of an Aussie rather than that of a BC :017:

ETA: I think the split between show and working collie is more apparent in the US than in the UK.
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    But I bet they fit the standard!!
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I see a Peke won BIS.
  10. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    But what about working ability and fit for function ... or does conformation and the "breed standard" come before those things?!
  11. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Has anybody got a non GSD they could get to 'stack' in this way so i can see what people are saying about it's just the way they make them stand? I would try with Kismet, but I dont think she'd comply
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Will all be part of the breed standard.

Conformation is part of the breed standard,

Conformation dictates working ability.
  13. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Good idea - I would like to see some as well, although Jesterjenn did post one of hers.

I can't watch any videos at the moment as OH used all our allowance sorting out his laptop, so haven't actually been able to see this dog move.

Helen
  14. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Conformation does not dictate the drive for work, therefore it does not dictate working ability.
  15. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Yup
    and I have to say if those BC's fit the standard then the standard is wrong
    Their legs are about twice the width of the collies I know, necks look short (agree very aussie like) and it looks like you could set your dinner on the dogs backside its so flat and wide!!

Also at least the GSD is gaited round the ring as its 'supposed' to move while working
    Why do the collies have to fast trot round the ring heads strung up in the air?? What does that show about the movement
    Would love to see some of them dogs do a 200m outrun after a day in the field :D
  16. megan57collies

megan57collies New Member

Name:
    Agreed, cringeworthy i think is the word to use. All about ears and coat and big domey heads. It worries me it's creeping in over here and spreading :(
  17. megan57collies

Name:
    Put aside the Breed Standard and how a dog is stacked. Forget even about the breed. Just look at the videos (not the photos) that have been posted of the GSD and please tell me how he moves on his back legs is healthy to that poor dog. A dog is supposed to drive from behind, but because of the exageration of this dogs back end it has no drive and is very unbalanced and a dog i don't seeing seeing out a natural age :(
  18. megan57collies

Name:
    Agree with most you say. I watched all of the breed judging. Alot of thickness is down to heavy coating to the legs, however they are stumpier in the US. BC's should move with their heads lowered, driving from behind, with a level topline. Stringing up seems to be the way in America.
    As for the judging. Someone should tell the judge when looking at tail lengh that the hock is not east of the dogs bum but south. Perhaps it's done this way as quite obviously most of the tails were so short.
  19. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Without the correct breed standard conformation, it will matter not what drive the dog has, if he cant move or his conformation makes it impossible to work.
  20. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Form follows function
    AFAIK ALL of the working dogs were bred from dogs who were doing the job asked of them day in day out. Over time the dogs best at their job were selected for breeding and the shape of the breed evolved

Then at some point a group of guys wrote the breed standard based on some of those dogs
    But as we are seeing that standard is open to interpretation and fashions and the dogs can change dramatically
    Just because a dog fits in with that standard does not mean that the dog would still be able to do their job
    Yet there are plenty of dogs who do not fit the standard but are healthily able to do the job they were bred for day in day out for years

For example this boy
    [​IMG]
    Is too leggy for the breed standard. He is too tall, he is not flashy enough to win shows
    But
    3 of his siblings, his dam, sire and grandsire all work full time on borders hills and are fit as fleas
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    You just have to keep bearing in mind that the standard is actually just someone's interpretation of what a breed should look like - and we know how diverse taste can be :mrgreen: