GSD takes Group at Westminster Showing

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Moobli, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    Heres a better video

He's a nice dog, I quite like him. I guess it is personal taste.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    OMG that's even worse his hind movement is realy bad, flicking up is not correct, the flicking tail is a very good indication of bad hind movement.

Again only a very small area in which to move in.

If you read the article I gave the link for you will see why the dog is so structurally incorrect

His head has a very weak muzzle & isn't "doggy"enough
  4. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    LOL - it was an innocent enough question :016: :lol:

I have no strong feelings either way about him. He doesn't look as extreme as some I have seen, but I don't think that moving clip does him any favours tbh.
  5. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    This is a roach back

[​IMG]

The back arching so that the apex is higher than the whithers
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
  7. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    I like him more now I have seen him move than I did when he was stacked, I've seen much worse, he isn't my type...but I do quite like him! (edit: as far as american lines go anyway...much prefer wgsl...and working line!)
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    No he doesn't look particularly extreme to my untrained eye, but he doesn't appeal to me.
  9. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

What about how he moves at the start before they start gaiting him?? he is pretty unsteady walking - and if you pause it a few times in his natural walking it really dosent look natural at all! and very like Mooblis' article posted earlier in the thread when he is gaiting his hocks pretty much touch the floor, same as when he was turning from walking

You can see when you pause him walking as well that he is not stacked oddly - that is the natural position for him

Yup, I thought that at first look, then realised how sad that was. We are so used to seeing pretty extream GSD's now so the oddness dosent look odd to us any more
    It shouldnt be natural for ANY dog to stand on his hocks, to be unable to stand or walk comftably
    The article you put up explains it so well, people have overdone things to exagurate the gait - at the expense of the all round agility of the dog
    would be interested to see some videos of that dog jumping
  10. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

11. pinklizzy

pinklizzy New Member

Name:
    N/A
    I'm not a big GSD fan but he looks really exaggerated to me.
  12. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'd have to see him alongside a dog of more desirable proportions to see the exaggeration clearly. I'm no expert in GSDs.

I did find this video of him - excuse the terrible quality

http://www.youtube.com/v/lXJmw9LRMj8&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=1
  13. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Oops - I see I was beaten to it!!!!:grin:
  14. megan57collies

megan57collies New Member

Name:
    I think it's awful. I watched the group today and cringed at the german shepherd and it's awful rear movement. To me so unnatural. There were much nicer dogs in the group to pick from who weren't so exagerated. Thank god some action is being taken here to improve the breeding over here
  15. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    horrible back end. poor thing.
  16. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i think he looks very nice, not deformed at all, hes overstretched in the stack so it makes me look a bit funny, and i do wish they wouldnt stack them like that but in all, very nice dog.
  17. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Not my type of GSD - hate the way it has been stacked.
  18. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Yuk, that video made me shudder. What dreadful movement that dog has:-(

Watch the hind legs, it is almost as if it is landing on the bit between the hock and the paw rather than the paws themselves. Not only that, it is all over the place, especially apparent when walking.

Sadly I've seen lots of GSD's with terrible movement - it is so prevalent now. One of the main reasons I came out of the breed years ago was for this reason.
  19. megan57collies

megan57collies New Member

Name:
    To me you look at a dog on the move as a stacked dog can hide a multitude of sins if you looking simply from a picture. Therefore i watched the group/breed video. Doesn't matter what angle you look at this dog. It's rear end is hideous and the breeders down the line are to blame, they are breeding for fashion and whatever wins in the ring rather than the long term welfare of the dog/breed.
  20. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    When i first saw the picture he didnt look too bad, a little over stacked but on the whole ok. We have all seen worse.

Then i watched the videos of him move . . . OMG! Now i am no expert on GSDs and how they are meant to move but surely walking on the hocks like that is a bad thing? He looked very weak on his back end to me and no way would i say that was the best example of a GSD.
  21. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    If you think the GSD is poor watch any of the Herding Group I feel sorry for all the dogs