Working Line GSD convert Working Dogs

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Moobli, Feb 12, 2012.

1. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    Just seen you mentioned the barking...Duke has a pretty deep bark but when he barks on command i get a yap not a bark! :neutral:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Have not watched the vid are you training with Henrietta?

She is FAB.
  4. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    Look on the Working Trials Monthly site :grin:
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
  6. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
  7. scout75

scout75

Name:
    scout
    Yes. She is sooo fab! We feel very lucky! :lol:
  8. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    KOda was returned home to his breeder on Thursday but before I took him back I measured & weighed him. He measured 64cm atw and weighed 37Kg. He had a growth spurt just after Christmas so had long legs and seemed a bit scrawny at times but a only 10 months old right now he has a lot fo growing and filling out to do.

I have to agree on Kirsty with this. I have 2 SL GSDs and Jenzi is WL. Koda is from the same kennels as Zak and other than him being a little bit nervy (as it turned out, a little too nervy for SchH imho) there really isn't much between them once he gets to know someone.

I know I shouldn't have, but I did compare Koda to Zak quite a lot as both Kirsty and I had our dogs from MNJ at around the same time and there is only a few weeks difference in age between them.

The WL GSDs seem to have a strength of nerve that the SL GSDs just don't possess. Having said that, Zane was very skittish when he was younger from about 7 months old until around 18 months. It took a fair amount of work but he overcame this.

Of course there is a split in the breed between the SL & WL GSDs based on what they've been bred for. WL breeders aren't so bothered about looks whereas SL breeders aren't so interested in whether a dog is any good at tracking etc.

In my own experience having owned both SL and WL GSDs, I may well have SL GSDs in the future but I will always have WL GSDs. They seem to be far more astute and need far more stimulation. As I am hooked on training and enjoy doing things with my dogs, I've found the Wl are far easier to train thanthe SL GSDs but they need far more effort to maintain them mentally.

Also (& this is only personal preference) I am a sucker for the sable GSDs, most of whom are from WL stock. Jenzi is sable although Koda was a B&T blanketcoat (looked as though someone had draped a black blanket over his back and tail with lighter, tan fur underneath and on his legs - the main distinction from a bi-colour I believe).

Originally I was going to wait maybe 3 years or more before getting a WL pup before the opportunity of living with and working Koda came along. This only served to increase my interest in SchH and in time (a few years) I may own a WL pup with whom I can work properly. The first place I would try first is MNJ, particularly for advice. She's full of information and it was MNJ who helped me when I was trying to find out about jenzi's origins almost 2 years ago. If she knows what I'm looking for when the time is right, I know she'll point meinthe right direction.

ON a final note, once you've been involved heavily with WL GSDs, you may own the SL tpyes but there will always be a longing for a WL dog.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2012
  9. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    They should all be mentally stable - bombproof no matter what the lines my lad is I can take him anywhere whether that be on an acute psychiatric ward, around livestock, around gunfire or fireworks - I cant stand nervy/windy dogs or reactive ones
  10. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    gorgeous gorgeous dogs everyone :007: :007: :007:
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    A few more recent gratuitous pics - just because! (Well Dogsey is quiet tonight).

Scout - any new ones of Kofi :grin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    Lovely to see The Big Fella. Any excuse or reason, is a good one. He is Fantasic. Thanks Moobli.:007: :)
  13. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks Jeagi, it is quite nice to have a sort of photographic record of his progress on one thread :) He has changed so much in a year!
  14. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    I know what you mean. He has his own "ZAK" folder, on my laptop!!:007: :grin: He is Sooo Huggable. Keep them going. He's a Star.
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Off out with the boy and the camera shortly, so will get some new pics :grin:
  16. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    Ps. i have just noticed your new picture... with the sheep. Can you show a big picture of that, please. Thanks Moobli. Enjoy ya walk.
  17. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Just to add to this thread after having had Zak for nearly 12 months now.

I think it is safe to say that he is the "easiest" GSD I have owned insofar as his temperament is absolutely great. He is confident and sociable in all situations and he is the sort of dog I can take anywhere.

However, before promoting the WL GSD to pet homes, I think I should probably say that he is definitely more obsessive than my other shepherds, he is definitely higher energy and he wants to "work" (whether that be training, or even just chasing and retrieving a ball over and over). He can also be a pushy so and so, and I wonder whether first time shepherd owners could be intimidated by such behaviour. He has shown no aggression whatsoever, but is pushy in his behaviour to get what he wants. He is driven and keen to be doing all the time. I am at home most of the time, and he comes everywhere with me (within reason of course) and I don't know how satisfied he would be in a less active environment.

So while I am most definitely a working line convert and would certainly encourage others to consider a WL as an active pet, I would put stress on the "active" :)
  19. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    What a lovely(but measured) Tribute to to a real Star!
    Well done Moobli. (and Well done to the Star himself.)Way to go Big fella!x and hugs to the boy.
  20. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thank you Jeagi. It just occurred to me one day when I was out training with him that even though I love him to bits and think he is an absolutely fantastic dog - and sing his praises to all and sundry ;-) - that I may just be giving a slightly skewed impression. In that, he is an "easy" dog - ie couch potato etc - whereas he definitely isn't that :lol: He is "easy" in the way he is sociable and friendly to people and other dogs. He is brill with the kids - but can be bouncy and boisterous if allowed. However, I wonder whether his high energy nature would make him as "easy" in a less active and energetic home. That is the point I am hopefully getting across :mrgreen:

But, yes, he is a star :007:
  21. Skye100

Skye100 New Member

Name:
    Skye
    Beautiful head!