Large Breeds Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Murf, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Doesnt it depends largely on weight?

From what I remember, arent bassets and clumbers classed as large, yet height wise they arent large at all...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Just what I was about to say.

I was looking into a smaller spaniel - Clumber in this case and the fact that they can get upwards of (is it?) 30kg means that people probably go on weight rather than height. Although I go on height rather than weight, as vets do. Louie is classed as a medium sized dog, yet his weight seems more large sized to me.
  4. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    My Sister thinks my dogs are large dogs.
    My best friend thinks my dogs are small dogs.

One of the above has a GSD x Irish Wolfhound and one a Bichon Frise. Can you work out which has which? :lol:

I think they are medium sized by the way.
  5. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Cherry was not good with unknown large dogs as she was frightened of them but she always loved meeting Bassetts on walks. I reckoned she thought they were small dogs though they must have weighed twice what she weighed!
  6. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    I would class a dog as large from around GSD size upwards. My friend has Labs and to me they look diddy.
  7. Harry21

Harry21 New Member

Name:
    Harry
    A lot of people in the street tell me my german sheherd is big. But Iv seen GSD's a lot bigger than him.

Personally I would class rotti sized dogs and over as large. Boxers & GSD's as more medium.
  8. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Medium seems like a very big category if it takes the likes of a buhund right the way to a boxer. I guess that makes it about 12-35+kgs.

JMO but I consider lab upwards to be 'large'. I know some labs can be diddy springer size in which case they look medium but generally I see that size and up as large.

Berneses I always think of as giant. I know they are only large, and newfies etc are much bigger but they still seem big to me even though I have one!
  9. Harry21

Harry21 New Member

Name:
    Harry
    Speaking of boxers. Where i am, i have seen some unusually large ones. They seem to more resemble a bullmastif lol
  10. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    I go on height rather than weight.

Storm is 60 cm at the shoulder, I class him as medium.
    Nyle is 63 cm and id say he's top end medium, bottom end large.

If I had to create a scale it be something like this:

Very small/tiny
    30 cm and below

Small
    30-45 cms
    Small/medium
    45-50 cms

Medium
    50-60 cms
    Medium/large
    60-65 cms

Large
    65-75 cms
    Large/giant
    75-80 cms

Giant
    Above 80 cms
  11. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    for old people ...:p:p:mrgreen: ;-)
    30 cms = 11.8 inches
    35 cms = 13.8 inches
    40 cms = 15.8 inches
    45 cms = 17.7 inches
    50 cms = 19.7 inches
    55 cms = 21.7 inches
    60 cms = 23.6 inches
    65 cms = 25.6 inches
    70 cms = 27.6 inches
    75 cms = 29.5 inches
    80 cms = 31.5 inches
  12. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Thanks for converting that.:grin: I forgot you old people:lol: do inches.:blush:
  13. Set_Nights

Set_Nights New Member

Name:
    Unknown123
    I have a Great Dane and she is "normal sized" to me, anything else is medium or small ;-). Realistically though I'm not sure where I'd draw the line. I'd say greyhounds were "large dogs" but labradors were medium dogs but they must weigh about the same.
  14. Alice Childress

Alice Childress New Member

Name:
    Alice
    I always find the way perception changes fascinating! A friend has a 9 and a half stone mastiff. When I first met him he was by far the biggest dog I'd ever seen. Gradually over time he began to shrink... Now he just looks like a normal dog. Intellectually I know he's the same size but I can't for the life of me 'see' it!
  15. celli

celli New Member

Name:
    jane
    Vets seem to have a completely different criteria, my vet classed Ben my 42 Kl TM as giant ! when I did a " away wi ye ya balloon ! ", he said no, anything over 40 Kl is classed ( by vets ) as giant. I'd have had him in the large category, certainly not giant.
  16. lizzer

lizzer New Member

Name:
    lizzer
    i would say Bella my St Bernard is a Large breed!!!! lol
  17. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    extra large or giant...lol
  18. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone

Name:
    Jules
    I know exactly what you mean. Buster is 10 1/2 stone and when I first got him at 1 years old I used to say to him "You’re a big dog Buster."

But now I look at him and think you've shrunk! But certain positions I can see how big he really is, especially that big head of his! Or if I haven’t seen him for a week, he looks like he’s grown. I think you just get used to their size.

Everyday I get told "your dog is huge" I would say Buster is tall but it is his stocky body why people say he's huge.

I would class Buster as a giant breed due to his weight and broadness of his body.
  19. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Bassets are classed as large. Ishka is 30kg but only about knee height.
  20. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Marius-sized :D
  21. dog collar

dog collar New Member

Name:
    dog collar
    Would probably say size wise GSD up but agree Lab up too...can be difficult because some slightly smaller dogs than GSD like LAB can be heavyweight rather than esp tall.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012