Alaskan Malamute - How much do they cost? Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Malka, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Alaskan Malamute - How much do they cost?

Just out of curiosity, how much would a pure-bred Alaskan Malamute cost?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Angie1966

Angie1966 New Member

Name:
    Angie
    Good morning Malka, I hope you and Pereg are feeling a tad better today.
    An Alaskan Malamute in this neck of the woods would set you back £500-£700 :)
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thank you! So someone saying they paid $2,000 for an Alaskan Malamute, which is the equivalent of £1,269.36 if it was US dollars, or the equivalent of £1,354.02 in Australian dollars, where this person says he lives, is talking a load of BS?
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I think I should add that is supposedly a 21 year old who paid that for the dog, then moved back home, then went to work away, and dumped the dog with his parents.

Apparently.
  6. Angie1966

Angie1966 New Member

Name:
    Angie
    I don't know :017:
    It's an intersting thought how much prices may vary for different breeds around the world
  7. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    hmm, i dont know maybe they could of paid that much, im sure i got told someone paid £1000 for their mal, and depending on breeders this is what you could expect.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I just cannot accept that a 21 year old boy had that much money to spend on a Mal and then just dump it on his parents?
  9. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    no i suppose not.. although i bought daphni myself at 18 and she was £400. then asbo when i was 19 and he was £750. but id never dump a dog on anyone, so i dont know how he could spend that much on a dog, and then not want it...
  10. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

Atlas likes this.
    A well bred Malamute would set you back somewhere in the region of £800 - £1000. You will be unlikely to find one from a reputable breeder for less than this, however neither should you expect to pay much more.
  11. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

No - I know of breeders who do sell pups for this much, although it is not common.
  12. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Some breeders here, sell for £1200
  13. catgoodey30

catgoodey30 New Member

Name:
    Catherine
    My malamute cost £500. she's pure breed but no papers to prove it. i'm guessing that makes a difference. Plus the people sellingher weren't trying to overprice and take the micheal! some breeders seem to up the price each time. I guess they think if they paid £500 for last litter, they might pay £600 this time?
    she's also got the blue eyes which i know isn't breed standard but makes her so pretty!
  14. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

I'm afraid your girl will not be a pure bred Alaskan Malamute and that has been reflected in the price. It is likely she is a Mal x Sibe (or has a Siberian in her lines). Enjoy her for the lovely pet I am sure she is.
  15. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    You can get blue eyed mals though can't you? :?
  16. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

I thought you researched the breed at one point?

No - a pure-bred Malamute should never have blue eyes. You may find a blue Malamute has blue/grey eyes as a pup but even those will turn amber/light brown as the pup ages (and blue Mals are not that common due to the dilute gene not being particularly prevalent within the breed, they are also not to breed standard as the dilute gene also dilutes the pigment). Mals should not carry the gene for blue eyes, therefore (barring genetic mutation - which would be extremely rare) the gene that is responsible for blue eyes will have been introduced from a cross breeding at some point in the dogs history.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2012
  17. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    Sorry got mixed up! Just remembered when I looked into it I was questioning if you could get all white mals th even though aren't common are in the breed standard.

Whoops my fault I do remember reading now.
  18. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

Yes - white Mals are perfectly acceptable, although again not very common.
  19. BaltosDad

BaltosDad New Member

Name:
    Mark
    In the US, from an AKC Breeder, usually in the $1200-1500 range..
    Mark
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thank you. I asked this question nearly three years ago and do not remember where I was originally told about this.

But thank you for qualifying the current price for a pure-bred AKC registered Mal from a reputable breeder. :)
  21. BaltosDad

BaltosDad New Member

Name:
    Mark
    HaHa silly me.
    I'm new to the site...sorry. Need to start lookin at dates I guess :)