Has the GSD breed been destroyed? Controversial

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by jeagibear, Nov 24, 2011.

1. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    Why does this not apply to BSD or Dutch Shepherd Dogs then ? - they were originally bred to be living fences and were expected to circle flocks of sheep for very long periods of time - yet they have a level topline !
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Dolce

Dolce New Member

Name:
    /\oo/\
    i must admit i am not keen on the show gsd's look when they get very exaggerated, nor the stacked stance if im honest.
  4. BangKaew

BangKaew New Member

Name:
    Bangkaew
    but surely a lot of dogs should be able to trot easily?
  5. BangKaew

BangKaew New Member

Name:
    Bangkaew
  6. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    Actually this video is deceiveing ..look again... the dog jumps first on the mans back and the man then hoists the dog up by straightning his back thus acting like a trampoline for the dog -
    it's just a trick !

and frankly I'd be worried about the effect this would have on the dogs joints as it lands - it clearly stumbles after the gate 'jump' :-(
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I think many of us who love GSDs feel that way. I still can't get used to the look of a stacked show GSD without thinking it just doesn't look right :?
  8. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    True - but I also can`t stand seeing the gundogs prancing about with their heads hauled up in the air, and the spaniels groomed to look like stuffed toys, and the the poodles looking like pr*ts or the sheepdogs looking like fluffballs...
    :lol:
    however, thankfully you rarely see these alien creatures outside show rings.
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Very true!
  10. Dolce

Dolce New Member

Name:
    /\oo/\
    All the preening etc is just not for me, would be impossible with her being the mud magnet she is. (not that maddie would ever be considered a show specimen with her unknown background, im sure a missing bit of ear would ban her anyway)
  11. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Yep. :mrgreen:
  12. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Most dogs that are successful show dogs (in any breed) that I know are also mud magnets.

But we do the same with our dogs as we do with ourselves and our children when they have to "scrub up" for an event.
    ;-)
    Have a bath and a good groom! :lol:

I suppose cleanliness and grooming could be considered "preening" and if so I am happy to ensure that my dogs (and myself) are preened to make the best of themselves and optimise health and welfare. ;)

Fortunately GSD do not need any "trimming" as some breeds do, so a bath, a dry and a brush is all that is needed.

I would be surprised if this was not the case for most well cared for pets? :shock:

Also, dogs are not "banned" from the show ring for having adventitious marks etc. ;)
  13. BangKaew

BangKaew New Member

Name:
    Bangkaew
    the dog looks more athletic than today's gsd and flat backed.